Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Attached is mvapp 0.2.4 for those who have issues pasting.

You can save to USB drive and then in Linux mode...

mount -o remount,rw /
    cp /media/internal/mvapp.0.2.4.doc /usr/bin/mvapp
    chmod 755 /usr/bin/mvapp

You can then use the script.
    Tagged as v0.2.4 in http://gitorious.org/webos-internals/mvapp

Direct access URL for wget is http://gitorious.org/webos-internals...w/master/mvapp

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/16/2009 at 02:31 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    so mvapp is the permament fix to the 2nd app limit...it pretty much sends all apps to the media/internals partition?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    so mvapp is the permament fix to the 2nd app limit...it pretty much sends all apps to the media/internals partition?
    I have a question about this too. It is written about mvapp at Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals
    "This will permanently save space on /var and allow more App Catalog apps to be installed, essentially up to near 8GB limit rather than the 64MB limit."

Does permanent mean this memory problem will not occur again once mvapp is made executable or 2) might the memory problem reoccur requiring must mvapp to be run again each time the memory problem manifests itself. Obviously 1) is really permanent while 2) is temporary. Is the fix really permanent once run. .
    PalmPilot Professional > Palm Vx (RAM upgraded by 3rd pty) > Treo 600 >Treo 650 > Treo 700p > 2 x Pre (mine and my wife's)
    Well I just instaled this from Preware. Does that mean all my new apps will install in the /media/internal?
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Is development of this solution completed? I am a little bit intimidated by the fear of repercussions from mistyping any of those linux commands. Should just bite the bullet and install the script mvapp 0.2.4 or is there a likelihood that a one step memory fixit application will be created (either in Preware, WebOS Quick Install, freestanding or other) for those of us less adept at using linux on our Palm Pres?

Is there a way to install mvapp using the terminal application that runs on the Pre ?
    PalmPilot Professional > Palm Vx (RAM upgraded by 3rd pty) > Treo 600 >Treo 650 > Treo 700p > 2 x Pre (mine and my wife's)
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abiezerf View Post
    Well I just instaled this from Preware. Does that mean all my new apps will install in the /media/internal?
    Installing 'mvapp' doesn't automatically use /media/internal. It is a Linux command that allows you to move the apps over manually.

To get quickly started...
    -Install mvapp on PreWare
    -Install Terminal app from PreWare (if not already installed)
    - Open Terminal
    - mvapp bulkmv

This will prompt you to move apps. Unfortunately this is hard to read on the Terminal app.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2surf View Post
    I have a question about this too. It is written about mvapp at Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals
    "This will permanently save space on /var and allow more App Catalog apps to be installed, essentially up to near 8GB limit rather than the 64MB limit."

Does permanent mean this memory problem will not occur again once mvapp is made executable or 2) might the memory problem reoccur requiring must mvapp to be run again each time the memory problem manifests itself. Obviously 1) is really permanent while 2) is temporary. Is the fix really permanent once run. .
    By permanent, I meant that as long the apps are moved to /media, it permanently saves that much space on /var unless you move the app back to /var.

As you install new apps from the catalog, you would still have to manually move apps over for each one installed.
    Installing 'mvapp' doesn't automatically use /media/internal. It is a Linux command that allows you to move the apps over manually.

- Open Terminal
    - mvapp bulkmv

This will prompt you to move apps. Unfortunately this is hard to read on the Terminal app.
    so this will only be manually...never be automatic in the future?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2surf View Post
    Is development of this solution completed? I am a little bit intimidated by the fear of repercussions from mistyping any of those linux commands. Should just bite the bullet and install the script mvapp 0.2.4 or is there a likelihood that a one step memory fixit application will be created (either in Preware, WebOS Quick Install, freestanding or other) for those of us less adept at using linux on our Palm Pres?
    mvapp is a Linux command for those who are comfortable with Linux or command lines. The target audience is those comfortable enough to work with command line apps and webOS developers. The release allows webOS developers to use this script for a real webOS app, which hopefully someone will develop. If you are not comfortable running Linux commands, you may want to hold out for a real app that uses this script.

It could be integrated into Homebrew installers in the future to automatically move apps to /media as they are installed. We might want to wait to see what Palm does in the next release. If it solves all problems, we don't need this anymore. But there's a good chance this method could still be used in the future to allow a huge number of apps to be installed (up to the /media limit).
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

- Open Terminal
    - mvapp bulkmv

I just ran this using Terminal exactly as you described above. It was quite simple. (Even ran "mvapps listmoved") Thanks!!
    Last edited by liv2surf; 10/16/2009 at 10:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Please read the Precautions....

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals

So far, no one has reported an app that has issues due to linking. These are best practices to avoid issues.

- Be selective about what you move. You may not want to move apps that store important information to you such as password lockers, memo apps, EverNote, Agenda, etc. Games, web content apps and information viewing apps should be safer to move as there is no data at risk.

- If Palm releases a new webOS that resolves the overall issue, you may need to completely restore your apps back to /var before performing the upgrade - mvapp restoreall. If the webOS update is applied before you get a chance to restore, it's possible it could break this method, which is why I do not recommend moving apps that store important information.

- This is a workaround script not approved by Palm. The usual disclaimers apply.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    For those of you who have installed mvapp on your own...

If you have installed via PreWare, you should remove the old mvapp. The old mvapp is located in...

/usr/bin/mvapp

PreWare links the app through...

/usr/local/bin

So if you install the PreWare version, you should remove the old version...

mount -o remount,rw /
    rm /usr/bin/mvapp
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    this is beautiful, I'm finally back in business thanks you the two of you, Xorg and Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    this is beautiful, I'm finally back in business thanks you the two of you, Xorg and Rob
    "Rod", BTW ;-)

Thanks to xorg for creating the script, which I packaged for easy installation with Preware last night.

As he said, we are waiting to find out what plans Palm has for the long-term solution to this problem before doing stuff automatically with Preware.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Yes, thanks to Rod we now have a repository and it is available on PreWare.

Thanks Rod!
    Thank you. This is awesome. I've had problems with the app limit since August (too many apps installed on Classic's internal directory), worked around that, and then had problems again this week. Running mvapp bulkmv from the terminal was clean and painless. (Now I can grab that weather channel app....)
    I've downloaded Fair Dinkum app, mvapp, and linked almost all my apps till it said /var was roughly 4 MB, BUT I still get the app install limit when I try to download from the App Catalog. Can someone please help me?

- Open Terminal
    - mvapp bulkmv

Wow! You've made this super easy, thank you! Just follow these easy instructions and you'll be in App Heaven, lol! I just moved games and news & weather apps and went down to 30MB used...tried most of them and no probs yet...still plenty more to move. I'm keeping my paid apps in their original spot for now....thanks again. You guys ROCK!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    I've downloaded Fair Dinkum app, mvapp, and linked almost all my apps till it said /var was roughly 4 MB, BUT I still get the app install limit when I try to download from the App Catalog. Can someone please help me?

Follow Rod's instructions from this post in the Fair Dinkum thread.

I'd be willing to bet that you have other stuff such as Email eating up a lot of space putting you over the 60% mark. If you have more free space than his post mentions, then you might bring it up in that thread. Obviously if you have moved that much and are down to 4mb you have something else using up a lot of space.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    "Rod", BTW ;-)

-- Rod
    Sorry about that.
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast