Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    I support this. 1) Saves file space, and 2) as you said, the purpose of them was attributes, and you have coded around those.

I also think that MAYBE something that an app update might trigger. When a user moves an app back, you could check to see which has dates later, the installed version or the tar version. If the installed is newer than the tar, then delete the tar and just move the app back. Or something along those lines.

However I still say we could do away with the tar backups. Maybe a disclaimer that says If the move in either direction has issues you might have to reinstall the application.
    I started down this exact path but there is no year in the ls command and doing date comparisons are a pain. Is easier and more accurate to extract the json file from the tarball and compare "versions". I could do this but don't think tar backups are really needed anymore so may just dump it.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    ^----- Dump it
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I'll set BACKUP flag to default off in next version. If someone with tar backups want to restore from tar backups created by an older mvapp link, they still can. Will leave the code in, but shut off tar backups by default.
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    I'll set BACKUP flag to default off in next version. If someone with tar backups want to restore from tar backups created by an older mvapp link, they still can. Will leave the code in, but shut off tar backups by default.
    This seems like a reasonable plan.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I plan to also add a couple new functions before broad release:

mvapp help - will launch web page on Pre that points the 'mvapp' page on webosinternals

mvapp disclaimer - will point to specific tag on that page for disclaimer

mvapp ftr - (force tar restore) - will not be documented in 'usage', but will be available for those who have used older versions of mvapp and tar backups.

mvapp rtb - (remove tar backups) - will not be documented in 'usage', but will clean out the tar backups for those who are ready to get rid of them.

Will attempt to cover the bases for those who have used older versions of mvapp.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Good plan.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    just wanted to say thanks for this - started doing this on my own and then i found this script yesterday, so much nicer to have it wrapped up in a script. i think it's a really smooth and relatively safe solution under the circumstances.

thanks for all this work.

(if you -did- want to go the route of finding recently updated files in the app dir, instead of using ls -l you could run a find:
    find appdir -type f -printf "%T@ %f\n" | sort -n | tail -1
    which would give you modtime of the most recent file in epoch seconds, and compare that with the modtime for the tarball. but as you say, json version might be safer - and i agree it's probably not necessary anyway.)

edit: well guess i'm out of my water with busybox - turns out its find doesn't support -printf -but- it does support -newer, so that's even better:

find appdir -type f -newer tarball

if you get no files back, you're good to use the tarball.
    Last edited by xplode; 10/14/2009 at 11:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    New version is up on...

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals

# 0.2.4 - turned off TAR backups by default, added 'mvapp info'
    # - added two hidden functions (see mvapp homepage for details)...
    # - 'mvapp ftr' - force tar restore, 'mvapp rtb' - remove tar backups
    # - minor validation improvements and clearer SUCCESS notation

More on the hidden commands later. It is for those who have been using older versions of mvapp.

Tar backup has been turned off (default) since it wastes space and has potential issues with restoring older versions of an app. Its purpose was to restore special file attributes not supported by FAT filesystem. The script no longer moves apps that FAT fs cannot support, so tar is no longer needed.

I tested the hell out of this tonite. Moved 60+ apps via bulkmv, did a restoreall on all 60+ with no issues (using both tar and non-tar tests), several times over. The Terminal app would not move, mvapp properly handled this.

The mvapp tool is getting to be pretty solid. I hope to release this for broader public access soon, directly installable from Homebrew installer apps. Would be great if some of you close followers could do a broad range of tests.

Thanks for all the input from all of the contributors as well.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    So, I ran this with the remove the tar backups, and did the whole backup directory. I used bulk move, and moved a lot of apps. I even moved Classic, and Internalz with no issues. Heck, I have very little left.

One suggestion might be to not even list the applications that can't be moved (in bulk move) Like the webos internals stuff. I didn't move any patches, or attempt to move patches. Not sure what would happen with those.

Xorg, you do great work. Thank you for this.

Now what would be cool is if this could be put in to a GUI. A scrolling list of the apps, you click it moves. I wish I had the time to truly dig in to actually developing stuff.
    EDIT: I had trouble in the past Copy & Pasting the code from the wiki page. It worked great today. I am not sure what I did wrong before, but I consider it my mistake. :EDIT

You have done a great job with the script.

Thanks!
    Last edited by chodaboy; 10/15/2009 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Removed request for download link.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    EDIT: I had trouble in the past Copy & Pasting the code from the wiki page. It worked great today. I am not sure what I did wrong before, but I consider it my mistake. :EDIT

You have done a great job with the script.

Thanks!
    hmmm what kind of troubles did you have before? Using putty you simply right click to paste. Last I knew the novaterm app copy / paste is broken.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I've updated the mvapp homepage to show new features, updated precautions, usage descriptions, hidden commands, etc.

Also added several of you in the credits at bottom of page. Thanks again for the help and testing. If I've missed someone, PM me.

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals

Rod W has been trying to help me get this into the PreWare repository via 'git' but I'm having permission issues. Will find some way to get this released into the PreWare repository soon.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Attached is mvapp 0.2.4 for those who have issues pasting.

You can save to USB drive and then in Linux mode...

mount -o remount,rw /
    cp /media/internal/mvapp.0.2.4.doc /usr/bin/mvapp
    chmod 755 /usr/bin/mvapp

You can then use the script.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    One thing for the future that I would like to see would be the ability to have an option in preware that when selected would do this automatically. It would install normally, then a post install script would then invoke your mvapp script and move it to the /media location. Feedback if it was successful or not maybe, but not necessarily required.

So have mvapp installed from preware just like the package manager has to be installed. Then an option in preware that says "Install on /Media/Internal/.apps whenever possible" When this option is checked, it will automatically install and move the application.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^I've proposed a similar thing to the Dev community on the mvapp homepage. Let's see what Palm does in the next release. We still may need this solution if Palm still has app limits, even if larger.
    Last edited by xorg; 10/15/2009 at 09:08 PM.
    I tried to paste into vi with puTTY and got a buffer overrun on the Pre. (I did not try cat, but that might have worked.) However, that was not the problem I whined about above. I was having trouble with the copy and paste mangling the line terminators (they seemed to be stripped) from the web page. That is to say, the data in the clipboard was mangled. But everything worked great today. I blame myself, but have no idea what I was doing wrong before.

I definitely have much respect and thanks for the webOS community working together like this!
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^With the code getting longer, it's probably best to paste via the cat command rather than paste into an editor at this point. The code format also maintains in cat better than vi.

Or you can download the script a few posts above and move it.
    ok, I've been following this since day 1 but could not comprehend any of it? Well i've been reading up on basic linux commands and scripting & I still can't figure out exactly I'm supposed to install the script properly. Do I just copy/paste the entire script (comments, release notes & all?) all at once? Then once made executable, all we'll have to do is run the mvapp (1 line) commands to move apps, link/unlink, etc? ive installed several apps & patches via linux prompt. but those were mostly 1-2 lines of code that installed or ran a script or command. But I never saw all the actual coding. I kmow this is a bit long but didn't want you guys to think I just stumbled in & want to know where to "download the App".
    Could someone please let me let me know if the above method is correct? And confirm that I am to copy/paste the entire code in the shaded box on the Script's WebOSInternals page?

thanks in advance
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstardjal View Post
    ok, I've been following this since day 1 but could not comprehend any of it? Well i've been reading up on basic linux commands and scripting & I still can't figure out exactly I'm supposed to install the script properly. Do I just copy/paste the entire script (comments, release notes & all?) all at once? Then once made executable, all we'll have to do is run the mvapp (1 line) commands to move apps, link/unlink, etc? ive installed several apps & patches via linux prompt. but those were mostly 1-2 lines of code that installed or ran a script or command. But I never saw all the actual coding. I kmow this is a bit long but didn't want you guys to think I just stumbled in & want to know where to "download the App".
    Could someone please let me let me know if the above method is correct? And confirm that I am to copy/paste the entire code in the shaded box on the Script's WebOSInternals page?

thanks in advance

Yes you will want to copy everything in the shaded box, copy it and then paste it in to the SSH window after you run the cat command. The instructions for that method are pretty straight forward.

You can also copy the document Xorg uploaded a little bit ago and follow those brief instructions which really is very simple. Copy to your media drive, SSH in, cp it using the comand he gave, and then set the permissions with the chmod 755 command.

Then you just run the mvapp command with the features you want.

Let us know if you have any issues installing it or using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    Yes you will want to copy everything in the shaded box, copy it and then paste it in to the SSH window after you run the cat command. The instructions for that method are pretty straight forward.

You can also copy the document Xorg uploaded a little bit ago and follow those brief instructions which really is very simple. Copy to your media drive, SSH in, cp it using the comand he gave, and then set the permissions with the chmod 755 command.

Then you just run the mvapp command with the features you want.

Let us know if you have any issues installing it or using it.
    @SirWill-- Thanks a lot for the reply. That's what I gathered from reading over the directions & this thread about a bagillion times. Just that I'm totally new at reading code/commands/scripts/etc. I didn't even know what a command line was 4months ago. Really appreciate all you guy's time.
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast