Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I think an option for this would be great. Some people may not like the idea, as it could be possible to accidentally press the center button, but I would love to have a way to wake the Pre up aside from pressing the power button or sliding it open. Touching the center button to wake up seems like it would be perfect.

Anybody know if this is easy to implement via a hack? I would think it must be, but I definitely couldn't put it tog myself.

Thoughts?
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    This has been asked multiple times and while I would like to see it please, many have made the point that it MIGHT get accidentally turned on while in your pocket. But I, as some others think, it's rather difficult to push that button in.

Here's hoping someone in the tweak world with 1.2.0 out will be willing to at least make it possible and then judge weather it works or not.
    Last edited by Webby_s; 09/29/2009 at 12:07 AM.
    Still happily rooting my launch 6/6/09 Pre!
    (and my wife's)
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Amen.

I often find myself intuitively attempting said action... and failing miserably. The center button also seems to require a very definite "push", at least on my Pre; nigh on impossible to press "accidentally" or in-pocket.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Also, even if it does register an accidental click somehow in a pocket, you'd still have to do the unlock swipe, so the screen wouldn't be on long anyway. Seems pretty risk-free to me, but I'm guessing it's not too easy or it would have been done already.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I would think there's next to no risk of accidentally turning it on. And if somehow you manage to put enough pressure on the button (without cracking the screen) to turn it on, then you have the lock screen to back you up.

Sure would be a great feature!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Coming from the G1 I constantly go for the center button. +1 for me as well.
    I take pictures in the camera app with my center button... and fail miserably.
    I would like to see both, wake up and take pics with the center button. Right now its a pretty useless button. Winmo had a program to remap buttons, was very useful.
    What about requiring something like "double press" on the center button to turn on the device? That would solve the accidental turning on issue imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by mvpilot172 View Post
    I would like to see both, wake up and take pics with the center button. Right now its a pretty useless button. Winmo had a program to remap buttons, was very useful.
    The classical PalmOS also had this. Built in.

Quote Originally Posted by bezoris View Post
    I often find myself intuitively attempting said action... and failing miserably.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I take pictures in the camera app with my center button... and fail miserably.
    Thank GOD I'm not the only one.

I've pressed the center button to wake it up and go "O_O, Oh crap! something's wro... Oh..." *presses power button*. *sigh*

or:

I line up a shot and press the center button and go "O_O, Oh crap! something's wro... Oh..." *presses on-screen button*. *sigh*
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Yeah... lol.

Regarding camera shots:

I have a 4-year old that I occasionally allow to fiddle with my Pre (okay, more often than that, but I'm a softee).

Her favorite activity is to take pictures... especially when we're riding in the car (Oh! Look! A white house! And another white house! And - would you believe it - another white house!). My Pre is her "special little camera".

And guess what? She always goes for the center button! Without fail. Every time.

And then I say: "No, baby, it's the green one."

So what's the lesson here?
    Last edited by bezoris; 09/29/2009 at 06:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    repost..
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I wonder if anybody has made any attempt to implement this over the past several months. Would be a great option to have!
    I second that! Id love my pre to have this option of waking the device with the center button. Its so much more intuitive. I also suggested this some time ago to Palm via their feedback form.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I know people worry about accidentally waking the device when it's in your pocket, but that could probably be remedied by requiring a double press or something. Besides, it would take quite a bit of pressure to push that button in.