Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    It would be great if someone could make the center key act as the back button instead of swiping right to left.

I never use the center key and the swipe function sometimes takes a couple tries for it to be recognized.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Yes buttons would be nice, whether it's the center button or maybe one of the keyboard keys. I'm all about efficiency and if I have to do multiple swipes or keyboard taps to get something done I consider it a step in the wrong direction.
    I found that going in a triangle fashion is alot more responsive than left or right. I thought about asking this question but was afraid of the "are you too lazy to swipe" flame. :-)

Then it got me thinking that I use the center button alot to wake my device (in the dim before sleep) and zoom in/out of pages.....
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I just use the swipe up (starting from the jester area) to minimize the card and swipe back down (ending in the jester area) to maximize the card. Just taping the screen to bring it back from a dim state.

So the center button to me is just in the way and useless. So why not assign it a more important roll. imho
    Back button or Orange button.
    something better than what it's used for now.
    I'd like to see it as a "select" button, a la Treo middle button on 5-way rocker.

I can't tell you guys how many times I have minimized the camera app hitting the center button to take a picture... doh!
    I would love to see the center button be the back button. For so many reasons, I think that would just make far more sense than it does right now.

So, it's safe to assume an app which accomplishes this does not yet exist then?
    I would like to see the center button bring up the virtual keyboard, you get almost ne response from tapping and a lot of times I bring mine up 3/4 times before its right.
    can anyone point us in the direction of what controls the center button?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Quote Originally Posted by halehouse View Post
    So the center button to me is just in the way and useless. So why not assign it a more important roll. imho
    I agree. I wish I can assign the virtual keyboard to the center button.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    i never had a problem performing the "half swipe"
    It's not that half swiping back is a "problem" or actually difficult; it's that doing so is more difficult (however slightly) than pressing the button, and since I back swipe far more often than I up swipe, I'd much rather have the button replace that action than the one it does.

Plus, up swiping makes sense. It makes something on the screen move upwards. Back swiping doesn't make anything move backwards. It makes things zoom out, away from you, the exact direction in which you'd be pressing the button.

Also, after creating, say, a calendar entry, there's something about swiping back which doesn't feel like it should save what I just did. I always feel uneasy about it. Pressing the button to save a new entry, or note, or whatever, would "feel" a lot more right.

In short, the button should always have been a back button; then we wouldn't even be having this conversation. No one would be asking that the button replace the up swipe action because no one would ever question the logic of the up swipe movement.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    So what controls the center button? How do you detect when it's used and make something happen from it?
    Quote Originally Posted by superkyol View Post
    So what controls the center button? How do you detect when it's used and make something happen from it?
    I have no idea, personally. Are you saying that if you did know, you think you could do this? So the concept could be possible for a knowledgeable enough developer?

Just the hope alone would make me happy.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by je255j View Post
    I have no idea, personally. Are you saying that if you did know, you think you could do this? So the concept could be possible for a knowledgeable enough developer?

Just the hope alone would make me happy.
    Heck yeah. I have too much time to go sifting through the code to find keypress instances and things, but if I knew the center button press instance, I could direct it to any other function.
    I would like the central button could trigger the pull down menu. The top left corner is too small and far from my thumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonylawca View Post
    I would like the central button could trigger the pull down menu. The top left corner is too small and far from my thumb.
    Try swiping down from above the upper left corner, crossing over that "menu button" area, and in to the screen itself. This action is new to ver 1.2.0, and personally, I find it to be a lot easier.

So, that problem solved, we can go back to wanting the center button to be "back", right? :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonylawca View Post
    The pull down problem was solved with the new OS release. You no longer have to hit the exact, tiny spot. You can just swipe down over the general area and the menu will appear. No tiny target areas need to be hit.

I'd like to see the center button used to activate something that is still very difficult and awkward to do, Copy and Paste.

Copy and paste using orange button and the shift key is very awkward. The keyboard has to be pulled out, then the tiny keys have to be found. I think a far better (and easier) way to Copy and Paste would be to hold down the center button to select text, just like selecting text with a mouse button.

I really have to wonder what Palm was thinking in creating a UI that makes absolutely no unique use of the most prominent button on the device.

Whatever their reason, it gives Palm a unique opportunity to purpose this button to improve the interface. For my money, the single most common action that is really tedious and awkward is selecting text. Dedicating the center button to this task could make the Pre a lot more functional.
    Copy/Paste would also be a nice use for the center button, I concur. Personally, I'd still rather it be Back than anything else, but that's a good idea too.

It seems the reasons for figuring out how to capture info that the center button has been pressed are mounting. I wish I had the coding skill to tackle this myself.
    It's been a few weeks, so I thought I'd check in to say that I'm still not liking the back swipe action. I thought maybe I would get used to it, but not really. I still wish the button went back, and that I'd never have to swipe again. Any, uh, progress on that?

I really do wish I knew how to code. I would totally make this for everyone.
    I was told that the center button is controlled by the WebOS binaries and that we have no way to change what the center button does right now. I wanted to make it pop up the VKB.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast