1.    #1  
    Anyone working on a program that can take the ALREADY STORED contact information from account profiles such as the Palm Profile and Facebook Profile and sync them with a Mac or PC WITHOUT having to recreate the information in a new profile like I have seen with all the sync solutions I have found?
  2.    #2  
    Anyone working on a program that can take the ALREADY STORED contact information from account profiles such as the Palm Profile and Facebook Profile and sync them with a Mac or PC WITHOUT having to recreate the information in a new profile like I have seen with all the sync solutions I have found?
    This is what I want also a way to "flatten" the contacts and export them.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    As far as I understand the design of Synergy and webOS, it is not the intention for any data set to be available outside the account for that data. This is for Contacts and Calendar right now.

It may be possible to make an app to read the other data, and make an account that contains a set of all data. I'm not sure how you would check or incorporate changed data; like if facebook changed, because the read time would be pretty slow and use a lot of power.

In any case, once a "superset" account is made it could be synchronized using the traditional channels.

Even if it could be done, my concern would be that most customers would call for support because you aren't supporting the "Pre as designed". Every contact would show two sources, and every calendar event would show twice. So it would probably cost more in bad feedback and call center costs than the application is worth.

Just my opinion.

Wayland Bruns, CEO/CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
    It is possible to get the data out of the Palm Profile with a little hacking. If you get root access to the Pre and pull the SQL file onto your PC you can get the data and format it for Google (or whatever). Making an app wouldn't be all that hard, but the problem is it's usefulness is kinda' limited.

Because really, I don't understand why anyone ever uses the Palm Profile. Unless absolutely you're married to an Exchange account, the first thing anyone should do is set up a Google account and make that your default. At least then you have options ... a Palm Profile is a total dead end.

I know that doesn't help anyone who's already done it ... but I always try to stress that when newbies ask for advice.
    <merged> Please do not post duplicate threads.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post

Because really, I don't understand why anyone ever uses the Palm Profile. Unless absolutely you're married to an Exchange account, the first thing anyone should do is set up a Google account and make that your default. At least then you have options ... a Palm Profile is a total dead end.
    I completely agree with you. I think Palm should seriously reconsider the utility of the Palm profile in synergy especially if you CANNOT UPDATE the data if you sync to google. The problem most users are having is that when they first sync their PIM data with the Pre using the Palm migration tool, they are probably syncing to the Palm profile. However when the later want to switch to sync with google, there is no easy way to transfer their data from the Palm Profile to google without first having to sync with outlook and then exporting that data to google.

There needs to be a way to SYNC all contacts/PIM across the various web services in addition to just aggregation like synergy funtions. I posted a thread on this topic here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...cts-yahoo.html

Ideally, there should be a way to sync the Palm Profile, google, yahoo, msn, Outlook. Otherwise what is the point of synergy if most of the data on the other services cannot be updated? Another utility of such a feature imo would be security as not everyone wants to sync their data with google as their primary backup....

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    The problem most users are having is that when they first sync their PIM data with the Pre using the Palm migration tool, they are probably syncing to the Palm profile.
    Not that it helps now ... but the first step in the instructions on the Palm web site for the Data Transfer Assistant is "Set up your Google account".

Having said that ... my wife did exactly the same thing, and we just transferred about 50 contacts by hand 8^(.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post
    As far as I understand the design of Synergy and webOS, it is not the intention for any data set to be available outside the account for that data. This is for Contacts and Calendar right now.

It may be possible to make an app to read the other data, and make an account that contains a set of all data. I'm not sure how you would check or incorporate changed data; like if facebook changed, because the read time would be pretty slow and use a lot of power.

In any case, once a "superset" account is made it could be synchronized using the traditional channels.

Even if it could be done, my concern would be that most customers would call for support because you aren't supporting the "Pre as designed". Every contact would show two sources, and every calendar event would show twice. So it would probably cost more in bad feedback and call center costs than the application is worth.

Just my opinion.

Wayland Bruns, CEO/CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
    Hello Wayland, thank you for your response. In my opinion there are two methods or applications that can be implemented here. One is the aggregation/synergy or data and the other is true universal sync.

Regarding the first, it would be nice to see an application that could read and aggregate various contact databases from the Pre to be viewed on the desktop similar to the way contacts are viewed on the Pre. This would basically give a desktop version of the contacts app where all the profile databases are linked and editable. The various profiles would not be merged into a superset but grouped together as synergy does.

The second feature requested here is true universal sync whereby selectable contacts from google, yahoo, hotmail, facebook, palm profile, and outlook etc could all by sync'd. A desktop application that could do this would be very valuable imo. I have been using a trial of your excellent companionlink software and would love to see a method to implement sync of not just google to outlook but also yahoo and hotmail etc. You would then have a one application solution to sync all webservices from the desktop...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 10/05/2009 at 08:37 PM.

Thats why i want something like that I did not know or think about using google only and now all my stuff is trapped in the Pre (Palm Profile) and I want to be able to take all my PIM data to my second phone and get it in outlook. If someone could please make something or make it possible it would be great.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I apologize if I am possibly repeating someone or this avenue has been explored...
    When you go to an individual contact on the phone you can 'Send Contact' via email or MMS. Would it be possible for a app to be written that basically does that for each contact in a batch command way? Probably not the best solution. Would be better if the phone named the vcard file w/ the contacts name when emailed.

I have used this email vcard thing and it seems makes a nice 'flattened' contact information.

Optimally I would agree Palm should have that functionality built in (export all contacts).