1.    #1  
    Hello everyone I'm sure at least i hope that someone is working on the tv-out function on the Palm Pre. When I say tv-out i mean full tv out (showing the entire user interface. I'm a die hard Palm fan and have felt like the only player in the smart phone game to combat the "Iphone" culture would be "Palm" and of course they stepped up to the plate and knocked it out the park.
    Tv-out would allow for a more all around use of the device in business/personal circles.
    I mean apps could be built for PowerPoint presentations or something similar as well as serve as a simple use computer for college kids or even for a basic computer for many in third world countries as these countries have good if not better cellular coverage than the US and would prove to be a solution for those people who couldn't afford a full pc but who could benefit from basic computing. I mean think of it these smart phones (specifically the Palm Pre) are more powerful than some computers 5 years ago so this could definatley work for that use. I feel like other companies "AppHold"..."Apple" have intentionally left out the tvout function because it would compete with their computer market (not for all but many).

All of that to say this "SOMEONE PLEASE WORK ON TV-OUT"!!!!
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    This would be nice especially since the pre can already open powerpoint files
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Do a search, this has been discussed many times before. Not possible with the Pre hardware.

And since the inevitable followup will ask about Pres used at CES: those are not production Pres -- they are specially modified demo units that have a custom video out wired into the device.

BTW, iPhone and most iPods have video out (through the dock connector) and can be used to give presentations.
    Not to offer correction, but it is possible with the Pre's hardware. There are just some serious low level software issues stopping it from happening at the moment.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prenosicator View Post
    Not to offer correction, but it is possible with the Pre's hardware. There are just some serious low level software issues stopping it from happening at the moment.
    Well, maybe you know something I don't. Let me share what I do know.

Video outputs on the graphics hardware exist, but are not connected to anything.

USB won't work because the Pre is a "slave" USB device and cannot schedule data transfers -- only master devices can do that.

You could use a computer as a master USB host and have it pull video data from the Pre, in conjunction with some sort of screen capture app running on the Pre. But I don't really consider this to be video out -- more like automated screen captures. Plus, it's not much help if you need a computer to pull the data off the Pre.
    it is possible to use a usb interface chip set to master and a video chip to make a small thumb-drive like dededicated device which would accept screen info from the pre and pass it to video out connectors. Designing and building this would be a challenging project for homebrew, but pretty simple for professionals. The problem is that I can't see that the market justifies the effort.