1.    #1  
    Hello, everyone. I was wondering what skills and training everyone has that has enabled the community to make so much progress with this phone. The reason I ask is that I am considering getting a degree in computer science but don't know what area I'd like to at least start concentrating in. I am currently a lawyer but wouldn't mind using the other side of my brain. I am not formally trained in computers but I like poking around and learning more about them.

I am assuming those that have created the apps are code writers. Is that correct? What are the best languages to learn? It is something most of you have gone to school for a bachelor's or even master's or is it something that you were able to learn how to do to with some of the books for sale at places like Microcenter? How long did it take you to be able to write the apps?

Are there any specific computer or programing books anyone really recommends? I'd love to be able to dive right in and contribute but I am guessing there is a lot more to it than that. I hope to learn to write apps to start contributing myself at some point.

The Homebrew apps have been better than the offering at the App Catalog.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    Awesome! It always neat to hear people really interested in learning computers there was a post in the private developer section about ages and you would expect but there are people from highschool all the way into there 60s.. anyone can do it, but its certainly not easy and takes alot of practice. Your essentially learning a new language and just like learning a new language it can be frustrating.

I would assume atleast for some of the guys that have released apps they have taken some traditional classes but its certainly not needed. I myself have been building pcs and websites since middle school or even before that, but have only been doing programming for a couple years on and off. If you dont have a really good understanding for computers how they work or even how to code basic html websites I would suggest and intro to programming course preferably on Java over C# or C+ because what you learn will be easier to migrate to javascript which is what youll be learning to code most mobile apps including those for webOS

Just jumping in with no beginning knowledge can be difficult and frustrating but some people like learning that way. For that I would suggest some HTML and Javascript tutorials you can find from google, and once your comfortable building little apps for the browser you should be able to replicate them in webOS

the advantage to the class if you havent done anything like this is a really good foundation for how to think about programming designing apps from the ground up psudocode etc even if its just one class the ideas presented there will help alot in terms of structure and how to get started
    Check out GetMeVino!
    Hey vaderite!

Here's an ANCIENT thread I started a while back to help people like you: Instructional.

And by people like you, I mean people like you and I. To be completely honest, I had absolutely NO training whatsoever in HTML/JavaScript/CSS before I dove in to programming for the Pre. I had my first (trial) app out within a couple months. It died out for a while as I got busy, but I started up again, and within 8 months I have a second app and I have had my hand in a couple of the apps you see released in Homebrew. If you have the time for it, experience > ANY training, In my humble opinion. The best thing about programming (for a stand-alone device) is that you can make whatever you want, send it into the emulator to test it, and even if its the worst piece of code anyone has ever written, it will explode, but the explosion will be confined to the emulator. The best thing about WebOS is, even if it does explode, you can ALWAYS hit the center button, and slide it up and out of your life. It's really that simple. The best thing to do for programming is just try it out. Read up whatever you need online real quick, emulate it, and then say "hmm... if I change THIS to something else... what would happen?". That's what's great about programming. You can just change it and see. The only thing you need is time.

If you are already a lawyer and you get practice programming, you can then start looking into software law, software copyright, corporate violations (and other such software themed law situations). It can help you out in the long run. Either way, just jump in and try it out. If you find its not for you, you can always just uninstall everything and pretend like it never happened. .
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the direction! I've been interested in getting beyond building my own computers and trouble-shooting my (and my family's) for a while, but I didn't have any clue as to where to start. I took a website building page and basic in college but have forgotten all but the most basic things. I will probably do an online course or something at some point because I get more done with having some structure to adhere to. Thanks again for the advice!
    When you decide to write code for WebOS, I've got to push my tutorials too: Beyond Hello World!
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    If you're serious about developing for webOS, you also need to have a copy of Douglas Crockford's "Javascript: The good parts"

And, I would urge you to start using templarian's IDE WebOS Development Blog