1.    #1  
    After a session of busy web browsing, Luna (basically, the GUI) is noticeably slower. A good indication of this is that scrolling in Tweed gets "jerky" instead of smooth like just after a reboot.

The culprit is definitely Luna; if I ssh in and kill lunasysmgr so it restarts, the GUI is once again fast as hell.

Anyone know what's causing this? Or experienced it? Hopefully whatever it is will be fixed in the next WebOS release, but I'm asking because I wondering if anyone else has seen this.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    After a session of busy web browsing, Luna (basically, the GUI) is noticeably slower. A good indication of this is that scrolling in Tweed gets "jerky" instead of smooth like just after a reboot.

The culprit is definitely Luna; if I ssh in and kill lunasysmgr so it restarts, the GUI is once again fast as hell.

Anyone know what's causing this? Or experienced it? Hopefully whatever it is will be fixed in the next WebOS release, but I'm asking because I wondering if anyone else has seen this.
    Well, luna handles all of the gui on the phone, so when you restart it, it's effectively restarting the gui portion of the phone..

Search the forum for the swappiness hack - it does help a bit.
    -mark
  3.    #3  
    I'm the one who posted about the swappiness hack. It helped a little, but not very much.

It always happens after web browsing specifically. So I'm wondering if some web pages are causing threads to spawn that never get closed even when you dismiss the card.

Running "top" on my phone showed LunaSysMgr using about 23% CPU with nothing else going on when things were slow. It was in the single digits after a fresh restart.
    I believe there is some bug/memory leak in webOS 1.1 as you can see it take up more and more memory and then close all of your cards and it doesn't reclaim the memory.
    gDial Pro - Unofficial Google Voice app for Pre
    You should follow me on twitter
    Become a fan on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    if I ssh in and kill lunasysmgr so it restarts, the GUI is once again fast as hell.
    So restarting the user interface is that easy? What a lovely computer the Pre is! I thought that, even if you are able to kill the Luna process, starting it up again would be a pain. Is there a process ("watchdog") that takes care of this?

Any other process which could be useful to restart? I'd love to get to know what does exactly each process in my Pre!
    If you've got preware installed then there are a few options, preware has an option in the menu for restarting luna and there is a homebrew app called luna manager that will give you direct access.

If you don't need to restart all the time then I'd recommend the preset reset app which can be set up to automatically reboot the phone at a set time every day, I've got mine set to reboot at 3am everyday so its ready for a new days use every morning.