Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Sorry if this has already been asked, I didn't find anything on the subject.

I have forgotten my username and password that I created for Linux access. I can't get in with root and a blank password. Is there a way to recover this info or do I need to run WebOSDoctor and start over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by TempeDuck View Post
    Sorry if this has already been asked, I didn't find anything on the subject.

I have forgotten my username and password that I created for Linux access. I can't get in with root and a blank password. Is there a way to recover this info or do I need to run WebOSDoctor and start over again.
    use novaterm to get back in w/out providing credentials. check /etc/passwd for username. use passwd command to change password.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    use novaterm to get back in w/out providing credentials. check /etc/passwd for username. use passwd command to change password.

How do I do that? I can get to /etc/ but when I try cd /passwd I get "can't cd to passwd"
    Quote Originally Posted by TempeDuck View Post
    How do I do that? I can get to /etc/ but when I try cd /passwd I get "can't cd to passwd"
    passwd is a file, not a directory.

do something like:

TempeDuck@castle:~$ more /etc/passwd

and you should see something like:

root::0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh
    daemon:*:1:1:daemon:/usr/sbin:/bin/sh
    bin:*:2:2:bin:/bin:/bin/sh
    sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:/bin/sh
    sync:*:4:65534:sync:/bin:/bin/sync

the first entry in each row is a username. you should hopefully see one that looks familiar.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Perfect. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Perfect. Thanks.