Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ekurek, well, clearly your local sprint rep is _wrong_ ...

but then, since we're a business premier account, and I talk to a different group of support folks, and since a close friend is a third-tier support rep at sprint, I can tell you that the OFFICIAL line is not what your local bozo said. :-)

but as you said, that is controlled by which bozo you walk up to.

You might have to go store shopping.

Also, remember,that short of a hardware failure, in which case, you don't have to MENTION software, the Doctor covers all sins.

Rick
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    ekurek, well, clearly your local sprint rep is _wrong_ ...

but then, since we're a business premier account, and I talk to a different group of support folks, and since a close friend is a third-tier support rep at sprint, I can tell you that the OFFICIAL line is not what your local bozo said. :-)

but as you said, that is controlled by which bozo you walk up to.

You might have to go store shopping.

Also, remember,that short of a hardware failure, in which case, you don't have to MENTION software, the Doctor covers all sins.

Rick
    Hooah
    Quote Originally Posted by ekurek View Post
    A Sprint person behind the repair counter (not just an authorized repair store but an actual Srint store employee) told me that my phone isn't supported if I install any software that didn't come from the Palm app catalog. In other words if I brick the phone and he believes I had inapropriate software on it - he will only replace it if I pay the $100fee, etc.
    A Sprint employee who thinks you can brick the Pre by installing software is not someone I would want to be repairing a Pre, since it shows they have absolutely no clue about the Pre.

It is simply not possible to brick a Pre using homebrew. The webOS Doctor can always recover the phone back to factory condition.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    A Sprint employee who thinks you can brick the Pre by installing software is not someone I would want to be repairing a Pre, since it shows they have absolutely no clue about the Pre.

It is simply not possible to brick a Pre using homebrew. The webOS Doctor can always recover the phone back to factory condition.

-- Rod
    Well put Rod. Well put.

It might also be worth noting, I don't think Palm has authorized Sprint to "repair" the Pre yet. I know the last time I checked, Sprint Repair Centers were to simply replace the Pre with another unit and send the "defective" one back to Palm. Of course, the problem the unit was having has to be on the "approved replacement list", otherwise it would have to be an insurance claim.

This information may have changed by now, but I do know Sprint wasn't authorized to repair the Pre. They weren't allowed to open it up, period.
    Last edited by dBsooner; 09/25/2009 at 10:28 AM.
    it is not on the repair list its a replace only still at this time
    Right now, I have over 230 homebrew applications installed on my Pre. If you install every piece of homebrew (excluding themes) that is available for the Pre, it takes about 240MB of memory in the /var partition.

I just installed a couple of Palm App Catalog applications, without needing to remove the 230 homebrew apps.

"How did you do that?", you may ask.

First, some disclaimers. If you don't know how to use the Linux command line, then search the webos-internals.org wiki for the basic linux usage page and read it from start to finish and then search Google for any bits which are not clear. If you don't know how to install the Terminal application, search the webos-internals.org wiki for the Terminal application page, and read it from start to finish, and then read the PreCentral threads about it as well. If you don't know how to install Preware (which you need to install the terminal), search the webos-internals.org wiki for the Preware application page, and read it from start to finish, and then read the PreCentral threads about it as well. Do not ask any questions about this post until you have found, and read three times, all of those pages. You perform these actions at your own risk. If clipcarl (or anyone who supports his point of view) is reading this, you'd better stop now, cause you haven't worked out what taking personal responsibility for your own actions regarding homebrew means yet ...

Now, with all that out of the way:

First do this on the Linux command line (you can use the Terminal application to do this):

Code:
    cd /var/usr/palm
    mv applications homebrew
    Then open the App Catalog and install whatever applications you please.

Then do this (copy each line very carefully, do not leave out any lines, and do not make any mistakes while typing):

Code:
    cd /var/usr/palm
    mv homebrew/* applications
    rmdir homebrew
    Do that each time you want to install something from the App Catalog.

Other caveats, your icons will disappear from the launcher while the directory is moved if a rescan happens while it is moved.

Also, if you are going to update an app catalog application, then make sure you don't move the old version back over the update that you just installed - you can tell by checking the directory names between the homebrew directory and the applications directory - don't copy back a directory that already exists.

Someone could write a service which does exactly this ... maybe when I get back from holidays in 10 days I'll do so if Palm hasn't fixed the problem by then.

BTW, whilst looking through the official app catalog, there seems to be quite a lack of applications that can do anything at all without a data connection. That's probably an intentional choice by Palm, but it will be a marketing problem in countries (like Australia) where there are no unlimited data plans available ...

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 09/25/2009 at 04:44 PM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Right now, I have over 230 homebrew applications installed on my Pre. If you install every piece of homebrew (excluding themes) that is available for the Pre, it takes about 240MB of memory in the /var partition.

I just installed a couple of Palm App Catalog applications, without needing to remove the 230 homebrew apps.

First, some disclaimers. If you don't know how to use the Linux command line, then search the webos-internals.org wiki for the basic linux usage page and read it from start to finish and then search Google for any bits which are not clear. If you don't know how to install the Terminal application, search the webos-internals.org wiki for the Terminal application page, and read it from start to finish, and then read the PreCentral threads about it as well. If you don't know how to install Preware (which you need to install the terminal), search the webos-internals.org wiki for the Preware application page, and read it from start to finish, and then read the PreCentral threads about it as well. Do not ask any questions about this post until you have found, and read three times, all of those pages. You perform these actions at your own risk. If clipcarl (or anyone who supports his point of view) is reading this, you'd better stop now, cause you haven't worked out what taking personal responsibility for your own actions regarding homebrew means yet ...

First do this on the Linux command line (you can use the Terminal application to do this):

Code:
    cd /var/usr/palm
    mv applications homebrew

Then do this (copy each line very carefully, do not leave out any lines, and do not make any mistakes while typing):

Code:
    cd /var/usr/palm
    rmdir homebrew

Someone could write a service which does exactly this ... maybe when I get back from holidays in 10 days I'll do so if Palm hasn't fixed the problem by then.

BTW, whilst looking through the official app catalog, there seems to be quite a lack of applications that can do anything at all without a data connection. That's probably an intentional choice by Palm, but it will be a marketing problem in countries (like Australia) where there are no unlimited data plans available ...

-- Rod
    My 2 cents on doing this: if you are using the terminal app to do this, don't close it after moving the folder the first time. You won't be able to open it again (obvious now that I think about it). Also, may want to check if this still works with updating app catalog apps as well; I have a feeling it might not work correctly.
    I don't get the partition thing really. I mean, I have an iPod and have no interest in using my Pre for Music... The fact that they limit the amount of application space even and then have the audacity to say "7.1 gigs free" on the Phone Info page is just crazy. What's the point? Is this so they can sell a 16gig version of the Pre in a few months and make everything thing they need the extra space?
  9.    #29  

This is GREAT stuff Rod!! Do you mind if I post this in the OP, or even start a new thread giving you 100% credit?
    Last edited by dBsooner; 09/25/2009 at 02:27 PM.
    dBsooner
    WebOS-Internals Member and Developer
    Donations Appreciated!

Keep up to date with webOS-Patches via Twitter: @dBsooner

Browse Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal - (Trac)
    Submit New Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal
    Submit Updated Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal

Code:
    cd /var/usr/palm
    mv applications homebrew

Code:
    cd /var/usr/palm
    rmdir homebrew

-- Rod

I tried this and it seemed to work great but when I put everything back in its place there were no incons in the launcher. The apps still showed installed when I looked at quick install. Have you had this one happen?
    If you feel that I have given you worthy advice please feel free to show your support. TY

BTW, I LOVE the title of this thread, OP! Are you related to Jesse Jackson?!
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    nice find rwhitby.

It really played havoc on the order listing in the Launcher pages though. My wave Launch icons also went from 5 to 4. It lost replacing the phone with Quick Contacts. I was able to put QC back on though.

For those who are not seeing your apps, try rescanning the app manager...

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}

edit:

Here is a solution I put together based on on Rod found...
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...allation_Limit
    Last edited by xorg; 10/07/2009 at 10:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dBsooner View Post
    This is GREAT stuff Rod!! Do you mind if I post this in the OP, or even start a new thread giving you 100% credit?
    All information I give on this forum is open and free - please post it whereever you choose :-)

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    This probably works great if you ARE NOT at your 248mb limit already. I was and simply moving apps to homebrew directory still gave not me "not enough memory" errors when trying to install from app catalog...because homebrew directory is still on the /var partition.

I have tried to mv to /media/internal/homebrew, but got errors that it could not preserve permissions and would not copy or move files there.

tried to move to /media/ram partition because it was a temp partition, then everything went slow and couldn't install anything. also tried /tmp...same result.

managed to get it working with the following.
    ***note: if there are apps that need updating from the app catalog, first delete them before you start this. You can install the newest version when you open app catalog.

backup:
    cd /var/usr/palm
    tar cvf /media/internal/apps.tar applications/

delete:
    cd /var/usr/palm/applications
    rm -r *

Open App Catalog and install all you want, then

restore:
    cd /var/usr/palm
    tar xvf /media/internal/apps.tar
    rm /media/internal/apps.tar

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}

***icons were messed up and had to reorganize...what a pain. Has anyone figured out a way to save the launcher state before doing this?
    I think you would have to a diff on some file in palm/data or something, before, after, etc.
  16.    #36  
    I have updated the Original Post with detailed instructions. It should get you through everything just fine. As always, YMMV and USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    dBsooner
    WebOS-Internals Member and Developer
    Donations Appreciated!

Keep up to date with webOS-Patches via Twitter: @dBsooner

Browse Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal - (Trac)
    Submit New Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal
    Submit Updated Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal
    from top
    Code:
    Cpu(s):  3.2%us,  4.4%sy,  1.3%ni,  0.0%id, 91.1%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
    ewww. after the whole process. looks like fileindexer is running, maybe the pre is catching up.

(wa is wait for IO)
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Here's a solution based on what Rod found, but using symbolic links to permanently make the move.

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals
    umm....so i was playing with this. somehow i erased everything that i had in the applications folder. App Catalog installs great now......I'm wondering if my patches and all that jazz will uninstall correctly now. Anyone have an idea?
    As anticipated, the Pre community is finally raising this to DEFCON 1 with Palm - hurray!

I'm also glad to see the computer geeks attacking this - thanks guys for continuing to look for ways around this problem....... When you get a patch that's simple enough for me to use (and I don't have to worry about taking it off prior to the next OS update) I will try it.
    Last edited by ekurek; 10/07/2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12