1.    #1  
    I wanted to try to start looking into trying to do some App Development. I figured I would look into some of the open source IPK'S see how it is put together and mess some stuff up and see what happens etc.. "A learing experience"

First I extracted the ipk using 7-zip then I repackaged it and installed it again (files were untouched at this point) it will install on the emulator but when I try to put it on the Pre using WebOS Quick install I get no install errors but it does not show up on the Pre.

When I try to extract the data.tar.gz it shows a error but it looks like all the files are there. But remember I don't know what should be there. LOL. The error message I get is "cannot create" but it did create the folder with all the sub folders and files.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
    Last edited by michaelrj; 09/19/2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: spelling
    How are you packaging? Using palm-package?

Should be able to extract the original .ipk, with 7-zip. Then once you have the base program folder (com.domain.appname), you can:

palm-package dirpath\com.domain.appname

This should create an ipk.

To install onthe emulator:

palm-install new_ipk.ipk

If I'm looking at code from an .ipk, I'll usually create a new Project with the same name in Eclipse. Then delete all files in there and overwrite. Then just run it from within Eclipse.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    How are you packaging? Using palm-package?

Should be able to extract the original .ipk, with 7-zip. Then once you have the base program folder (com.domain.appname), you can:

palm-package dirpath\com.domain.appname

This should create an ipk.

To install onthe emulator:

palm-install new_ipk.ipk

If I'm looking at code from an .ipk, I'll usually create a new Project with the same name in Eclipse. Then delete all files in there and overwrite. Then just run it from within Eclipse.
    When I extract using 7-zip I get a folder with control.tar.gz & data.tar.gz. I used 7-zip to extract the data.tar.gz file. Then it gives me a data folder with all the files and folders that look like in the "Hello World" gives you.

Yes I did use the palm-package

Any ideas?

Thanks