1.    #1  
    Does anyone know how to get digital copy movies included with some Blu ray discs or special edition dvds to play on the Pre? They are protected when you download the Itunes format.
    If they are DRM, we're out of luck. I was just wondering if they'd work today as I picked a copy of Wolverine.

Perhaps there's a way to unlock them, but that is a little on the shady side (though you can make a fair use argument I suppose).
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    i was wondering the same thing but apparently we are out of luck, i wrote universal about it and only playforsure devices and ipods are the only ones supported
    Do yourselves a favor and pick up Aimersoft Studio. Sure It's a bit pricey but you will be able to rip ANY DVD you have and they have a PRE option when converting. It works great.

Those digital copies are the biggest scam going...
  5.    #5  
    The problem I have is that I am trying to build my Bluray library and I don't buy DVD format anymore. It's nice that the digital copy comes with the Bluray, but I can't believe that they would only enable it in a "locked" format for the evil proprietary tyrants at Apple! Same problem with the Windows format...useless for Pre owners! I have DVD ripping software to convert my DVDs to a mobile device format, but again that doesn't help me with my digital copy included with Bluray (and yes I know Sony is going to add PSP digital copies soon). I know digital copy is not mainstream yet, but I expected to see more posts on this topic by now.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    first I would rip it myself, forget whatever lame format they try to force you into and second the screen is 3.1 inches and a full length movie plus background stiff would kill the battery. If you have that much time there are better options
    I have read on AV forums that Slysoft AnyDVD will allow you to rip BluRay movies. I have no experience with them though.
    You COULD rip blu-ray discs, but the quality (hence size) is through the roof. I'm sure these software titles let you scale it... But there's only so much you could scale something that's 8 times the size of a DVD... : /
    Last edited by SirataXero; 10/17/2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling...
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I have no qualms aquiring a video from other sources if I own the video. ie buy BR Video, and get digital drm free version from some "Other" source.

I have never tried to rip a BR Video, but I imagine it can be transcoded down to standard mobile size files easily.
    Blu-ray rips are only 13gb each. I keep a few of my favorite movies in blu-ray. But yea, if you aren't willing to shell out a few for a large capacity hard drive not worth it. You could rip them at 720p to save space.
    Theres another program out called pq dvd you will have to get the one thats for iphone/ipod, it puts the movie into mpg4 so the pre can play it then install it to your pre through itunes as usual. I believe it was around $40 dollars or so
    for video files that I would like to watch on the Pre, I use Handbrake.
    Here is the How to Play and Convert Videos (Movies) for Your Pre thread.

Also, near the top of every screen on PreCentral you will find the Seach link. In this case you can Search for "Convert Movies" or "Pre Movies", etc. and it comes right up.

There are a number of similar threads in the Tips and Trick Forum. Some other links are below:
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Here is the How to Play and Convert Videos (Movies) for Your Pre thread.

Also, near the top of every screen on PreCentral you will find the Seach link. In this case you can Search for "Convert Movies" or "Pre Movies", etc. and it comes right up.

There are a number of similar threads in the Tips and Trick Forum. Some other links are below:
    Thanks for the links, but all the links point to converting non DRM movies. The question posed in this thread is whether there is a way to play "Digital Copy" movies on the pre (assuming they're DRM-protected), or in lieu of that, how would one convert a DRM-protected movie for use on the Pre (under Fair Use)?
    After you rip or acquire from "other" sources your video, try Videora ipod converter. It should let you scale down the resolution and file size. I don't remember if it's DRM friendly or not. There's a free version, don't pay for it.