Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey Guys,

As the title suggests, I'm about to go get a Pre tomorrow! FINALLY! I've been waiting ever since the first day it was announced (back in... December? January?). Watching and waiting... and the time is finally now!

I plan on getting AT LEAST one touch stone... if the Sprint kiosk will be kind enough to offer me incentives... otherwise... personally speaking, $70 is a little steep.

Other than that, any ideas/suggestions/comments?

What's a MUST have?
    1. Unless you've had several other touchscreen devices and trust yourself not to scratch it up, get a screen protector, and put it on before you leave the store.
    2. Ignore anybody who tells you to completely drain your battery. It's not only unhelpfull with modern batteries, but can damage them.
    3. Play with the phone for at least a day before you start messing with homebrew apps or WebOSQuickInstall. Not that they will hurt anything, but if you figure out what you want to add before you start adding stuff, it will go more smoothly.
    4. Check that the phone does not have excessive oreo twist effect before you leave the store. Every slider I have ever seen has had some degree of oreo, but it should be minor, and shouldn't feel sloppy.
    Ditto on the screen protector. Do that before anything else. I must say, the puck is worth it. Great to come home and just place the phone on it to charge. I am actually going to buy one for the office. Also, I have read where some car chargers are better then others when it comes to charging while say using gps or pandora. I bought a Palm one to be safe.
    Grab your gear from precentral...May have to wait a few, but support the cause!! Also with all your help you've given round here without a Pre, I am looking for big things from you once you have it

Also because It's happened to me, make sure you play with your phone for an half hour or so before leaving, and reboot it. Pay close attention to discolored or stuck pixels. One or two may be fine depending on where they are at, but the Boot Images are the easiest place to notice them at.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Speaking of the "puck," it's worth pointing out that it's only $50 or so at the precentral store link at the top of the page.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    1. Unless you've had several other touchscreen devices and trust yourself not to scratch it up, get a screen protector, and put it on before you leave the store.
    I have had Palms since the Treo days, and I couldn't agree more with the screen protector. HOWEVER, I personally do REALLY prefer the original smooth screen feel and look. I really hate how screen protectors, in a way, "stifle" the feel of the screen... any ideas on what a good screen protector would be? I'm looking at some of the Invisible Shield stuff here. Anyone tried this out?

1. Ignore anybody who tells you to completely drain your battery. It's not only unhelpfull with modern batteries, but can damage them.
    hahaha. Yeah I read all about that. It's funny because thats CRUCIAL to do on my Treo. As just a few weeks back I would fully charge the thing, and pick it up and it would instantly drop to 85% battery life. O_o. It just so happened it had gotten miscalibrated and I had to drain the battery and charge it up again to fix... : /.

1. Play with the phone for at least a day before you start messing with homebrew apps or WebOSQuickInstall. Not that they will hurt anything, but if you figure out what you want to add before you start adding stuff, it will go more smoothly.
    Hahaha, considering I've released my own app already, I really just want to jump into this stuff already. To be honest though, I am a bit afraid. I will try out the phone "au natural" for maybe... a couple hours... before I get into the good stuff. haha. Personally speaking, no offense to any of the WONDERFUL people here, but I don't personally see the need for most of the Homebrew (for me, personally, I am well aware that a lot of them are CRUCIALLY important, and must-haves, for certain people). Thus, I'm not TRULY motivated to get cracking right away... but I'm sure curiosity, as well as the fact that I was here when the first app was released, will eventually take me over.

1. Check that the phone does not have excessive oreo twist effect before you leave the store. Every slider I have ever seen has had some degree of oreo, but it should be minor, and shouldn't feel sloppy.
    This I am fully aware/afraid of. I am DEFINITELY going to be testing this out, to the maximum, in front of the clerks, before I head out. Thank you for that! I very strongly support the idea of trying it out to the maximum, in front of the sales people, before I take off.

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions! Keep em coming! I want to be fully prepared, and want to learn from others' "mistakes" or "experiences" before I head back with my new Pre in hand.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by parout View Post
    Ditto on the screen protector. Do that before anything else. I must say, the puck is worth it. Great to come home and just place the phone on it to charge. I am actually going to buy one for the office. Also, I have read where some car chargers are better then others when it comes to charging while say using gps or pandora. I bought a Palm one to be safe.
    I'm looking forward to the benefits of a "puck". haha. As for car chargers, I don't have a car anymore so I'm not too worried about that... yet. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Grab your gear from precentral...May have to wait a few, but support the cause!! Also with all your help you've given round here without a Pre, I am looking for big things from you once you have it
    LOL. Good point. I'll try to goad the sales people to give me a free TS or so. If not, I'll come back and hit up PC.
    and WHOOPS... I just screwed myself over by setting a standard. hahaha. >.<. To be honest, research is starting and I will most probably cut back on the PC involvement... : /, but then again, I say this before having a Pre in my hands... once I get that... I might change my mind. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Also because It's happened to me, make sure you play with your phone for an half hour or so before leaving, and reboot it. Pay close attention to discolored or stuck pixels. One or two may be fine depending on where they are at, but the Boot Images are the easiest place to notice them at.
    Hmmm... That's a good point. I didn't think about the dead pixels. I wasn't planning on staying there for a half an hour, literally, just about 5 extra minutes, but you're right. I should spend a decent amount of time in front of the sales people to make POSITIVELY sure it's good enough before heading out. I did not know boot images are the easiest place to notice them, so thank you for that.

Speaking of the "puck," it's worth pointing out that it's only $50 or so at the precentral store link at the top of the page.
    Interesting! I was unaware of this. I've never been to the PC store. >.<. If the Sprint kiosk can't offer me a better deal, I will definitely come to the PC store. Thanks for that!

Thank you so much all of you guys! Keep it coming!
    i have the invisible shield and i love it, its better if you can find one of those kiosks to put it on for you though thats for sure. they are a pain. but they are warranted if you go to zagg and register it,so they will replace it if you mess it up. not only that mine works with the innocase and i love the full body protection sweet. anyways if you put it on yourself just take your time . hope that helps take care and congrats!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hahaha, considering I've released my own app already, I really just want to jump into this stuff already. To be honest though, I am a bit afraid.
    First of all, sorry for not checking your post count first, I guess I should have known that.

About screen protectors, I have actually had devices for a long time without them in the past. The screen on the pre seems quite durable to me, so you may not really need one, especially if you're a Sprint Premier member, and the type to get a new phone every year.

As far as being afraid, don't be. Since you've been, presumably, doing all your work so far on the emulator, you probably haven't used the WebOSDr on a real Pre. I have twice, and it is completely painless.

It takes about 15 minutes to do it's thing, and when you put in your palm account info it will resync all of your contacts and re-download any webstore apps all automatically.

Another 10-30 minutes with WebOSQuickInstall and you're rockin'.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    i have the invisible shield and i love it, its better if you can find one of those kiosks to put it on for you though thats for sure. they are a pain. but they are warranted if you go to zagg and register it,so they will replace it if you mess it up. not only that mine works with the innocase and i love the full body protection sweet. anyways if you put it on yourself just take your time . hope that helps take care and congrats!!!
    Hey, thanks for the suggestion! I'm not too sure where I'd be able to find a Kiosk or whatnot to get this done, but I will most probably end up doing it myself. I know for a fact it'll be SO hard for me to keep playing around and fiddling with my new Pre in my hands while having the screen off. >.<. But we'll see... and thanks! I can't WAIT.

First of all, sorry for not checking your post count first, I guess I should have known that.
    haha. No worries, a LOT of people are very active on the forums and don't know the first thing about programming. Also, my app was a bit selfish and only helps locals so it's not such a huge "game changer" like some of the others.

About screen protectors, I have actually had devices for a long time without them in the past. The screen on the pre seems quite durable to me, so you may not really need one, especially if you're a Sprint Premier member, and the type to get a new phone every year.
    While i'm not a Sprint Premier member, I do think the screen seems pretty durable. However, I am quite notorious in my family/circle of friends for dropping precious electronics. I'm one of those people the electrical engineers hate and MUST rely on the mechanical engineers for. So, much to my dismay, I think its crucial for me to get a protector... However, that being said, what bothers me the most is having a protector on JUST the screen. So if I get something like the invisible shield which covers it all... that might not be too bad.

As far as being afraid, don't be. Since you've been, presumably, doing all your work so far on the emulator, you probably haven't used the WebOSDr on a real Pre. I have twice, and it is completely painless.

It takes about 15 minutes to do it's thing, and when you put in your palm account info it will resync all of your contacts and re-download any webstore apps all automatically.

Another 10-30 minutes with WebOSQuickInstall and you're rockin'.
    That is one thing I noticed that Palm did RIGHT. Finally. I have not ever used the WebOSDr yet. I do hear wonderful things about it.

The problem with my Treo is, if it crashes, or gets ruined, you better have physically have it synched with your computer after the last time you made a tiny little change. Otherwise you miss out. Likewise, just today actually, my Treo decided to erase my entire calendar/ all my memos. Everything else is still perfect. All my contacts, apps, SD card, everything works perfectly, except my entire calendar is wiped and my memos are gone O_o. Very odd, and NEVER happened before. It's rather irritating. I stopped backing up my stuff to my computer a long time ago because it was rather tedious and annoying, to be honest. I think the cloud service along with WebOSDr is BRILLIANT. I can't WAIT to take advantage of it.

Thanks for all your help guys! I'm SO excited. I truly can't WAIT to get my hands on a Pre...
    Some oreo twist, like mine, does not get discovered for a few weeks so its kindof a luck of the draw. Open and shut it real fast a few times and see if it shuts off. If it does turn around and replace it right away. Check for dead pixels, I think 4 - 5 is the complaint standard. Get a car charger if your like me and use it a lot. Maybe another charger for work. Get the extended battery, 1350 Seidio is nice. Umm.. Bring a huge smile about how awesome it is!
    Go to monoprice and buy 5 or 6 microusb cables for 89 cents each. Put one at each location and with each computer you might EVER want to charge the pre against. THat way you CAN NOT forget the cable, it's always "there"
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by danno1769 View Post
    Some oreo twist, like mine, does not get discovered for a few weeks so its kindof a luck of the draw. Open and shut it real fast a few times and see if it shuts off. If it does turn around and replace it right away. Check for dead pixels, I think 4 - 5 is the complaint standard. Get a car charger if your like me and use it a lot. Maybe another charger for work. Get the extended battery, 1350 Seidio is nice. Umm.. Bring a huge smile about how awesome it is!
    Interesting. Thanks for the quick open and close tip! I'll definitely do that in front of the sales people tomorrow. Also, I definitely plan on getting the extended battery. Not the fat one to impregnate my Pre... but I think the 1350 one is the one that comes standard size, so that's probably what I'll end up getting. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    Go to monoprice and buy 5 or 6 microusb cables for 89 cents each. Put one at each location and with each computer you might EVER want to charge the pre against. THat way you CAN NOT forget the cable, it's always "there"
    Good point! I do have a couple microusb cables lying around. Speaking of which, I have a couple motorolla microusb chargers from an old family Razor lying around. Would those work with the Pre? I've heard Palm STRONGLY suggest to only use Palm chargers... and... yeah... but... would they work?

Here is a link to what I am talking about. Flick to about 1 minute mark
    the "oreo" effect is only present when closed....and to be honest, it DOES NOT affect the device in any way. It's only preference/annoyance....again with it in the fully extended position, there'll be no twist.

I like the BestSkinsEver skin but they are all about the same in feel after applied. It does take away from the smooth feel of the mirror-finish plastic though. The BSE has about the best die-cut for the Pre's suitcase-type corners. They all suffer from a bit of orange-peel texture as most people squeegee the heck out of it when chasing the bubbles out. Use lots of solution and softly roll the bubbles out...it'll be like glass.

The other suggestion is to get TEP/insurance. Assurion even protects against water damage....deductible is $100 now though.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by danno1769 View Post

Here is a link to what I am talking about. Flick to about 1 minute mark
    Thanks! I watched the video. I never knew what the "oreo" effect actually looked like... haha... thanks for that! I'll definitely keep an eye out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    the "oreo" effect is only present when closed....and to be honest, it DOES NOT affect the device in any way. It's only preference/annoyance....again with it in the fully extended position, there'll be no twist.
    Granted the "oreo" effect doesn't affect the device... I still shouldn't/don't want to be able to rotate half my device the opposite way from the bottom half when its closed... : /. It would definitely bother me...

I like the BestSkinsEver skin but they are all about the same in feel after applied. It does take away from the smooth feel of the mirror-finish plastic though. The BSE has about the best die-cut for the Pre's suitcase-type corners. They all suffer from a bit of orange-peel texture as most people squeegee the heck out of it when chasing the bubbles out. Use lots of solution and softly roll the bubbles out...it'll be like glass.
    Awww... That's my biggest complaint with the Free screen protector that came with my Treo. I don't like that orange-peel texture. It even looks grainy... and it feels a bit odd... : /. I disapprove. Using lots of solution takes care of the orange-peel? I will definitely try that. So.. what do you think is better then? BSE or IS? I have read a couple forums online and to be honest, I see no difference. Personally speaking, I am more of the kind of person who assumes that if something costs SUBSTANTIALLY more... it MUST promise something better/offer more. IS is significantly more expensive than the BSE. Does that mean its better? Not too sure... but I might just end up going that way... besides I like the way the IS is smooth unlike the BSE which has notches meaning you have to make sure to fit them perfectly... otherwise a tiny little bump will remain on your Pre's body >.<.
    BSE:

IS:

The other suggestion is to get TEP/insurance. Assurion even protects against water damage....deductible is $100 now though.
    Oh yeah. TEP is CRUCIAL for me. As stated earlier, I am notorious for running my Palm through the Washer/dropping it... and the like... I will most definitely be getting TEP. And taking full advantage of it. >.<.

Thanks!
  17.    #17  
    Looking a bit closer at the two pictures...

Does that mean the IS does not wrap around to the sides? I think those notches suggest that the BSE does wrap around... but the IS doesn't?
    I think you can get one that does wrap around the sides, the one i had for my instinct did... Now in my own opinion, the feel of the TS is real texture like, takes away from the smoothness of the screen. Honestly for me and i know alot of people may disagree, i like the cheaper static cling screen covers and i just change it every 2 months, i mean its only a dollar each off ebay and they have the same feel as the phone.
    One homebrew item i do recommend is the Virtual keyboard, after this newest update emoney has really outdone himself, its amazing. Also music remix, it adds the features to the music player that should have been there.
    Also when it comes to the touchstone, or "puck" make sure you are able to return it if you do get it there, mine stopped working after a week out of no where and would only charge if i restarted the phone while it was on the touchstone. And because i bought mine at an online store even-though i had an invoice/receipt Palm and Sprint both said they only honer the warranty for a sprint authorized store... Maybe they were just being a-holes to me but it really aggravated me.
    Onto Oreo effect, i got my pre on launch and it does have the oreo effect kinda like in the video, but what they dont say is for it to look like that on the video you have to literally pull up and twist..while trying to just twist without pulling it barely moves. And i have no dead pixels or any other gripes about the phone except for once every great while the screen will go black and i tap the sleep button three times and it turns back on, its not bad enough to make me take it back.
    I hope i gave a little insight, and you should be very happy when you get the phone, i have gone from Win Mo to Blackberry, to dumb phone, and back around and this is the best i have used, it is very fast and responsive and the touchscreen is amazing and i really do love the slide up to get the quicklaunch bar at any time!! ( i have never owned an android phone, so i have no insight about that)
    Quote Originally Posted by Runningwarrior08 View Post
    One homebrew item i do recommend is the Virtual keyboard, after this newest update emoney has really outdone himself, its amazing.
    You know, I was waiting for that to come up, and I just don't get it at all.

I agree they have done great work with it, and it's really a great onscreen keyboard, but for the life of me I just don't see the point of an onscreen keyboard on the pre.
    You know, I was waiting for that to come up, and I just don't get it at all.

I agree they have done great work with it, and it's really a great onscreen keyboard, but for the life of me I just don't see the point of an onscreen keyboard on the pre.
    I think it may because I am lazy and like it for those one word texts and also the new landscape mode is amazing. I mean I can send replies faster than ever now in landscape. I think maybe even faster than the physical keyboard...it is mainly an opinion thing if you want it, great if not than its no big deal, not everything in homebrew is for everyone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast