Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spotter View Post
    yes, some apps it wont work for, but those can be treated specially. for the large majority of apps, it seems pretty clear to me that they should be installed in /media/internal which would avoid all these problems from the start.
    Agreed. If Palm changes the default installation location for applications from the App Catalog, or applications that are installed using the palm-install script in the SDK, then we will immediately change where homebrew is installed to match.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    I think it be interesting to hack the file that determines where luna looks for apps to also look at a dir on /media/internal for apps and move apps there and see how it impacts being able to install from the app catalog.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Okay... I did this. And I still can't install any more apps.
    one of these memory limitation threads should be stickied...i think there r 2 or 3 threads of these?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    diomark, mind if I include this in a future version of WebOS Quick Install?
    Please!
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhcalva View Post
    Okay... I did this. And I still can't install any more apps.
    Same problem. I believe I followed all the instructions to the letter and my var directory appears to have plenty of room yet when I install from the App Catalog I am still getting the sorry not enough memory warning.

Just for FYI here is a copy of my current layout:

Code:
    root@castle:/# df -k
    Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                  961944    392620    569324  41% /
    /dev/root                31728     11368     20360  36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            961944    392620    569324  41% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            961944    392620    569324  41% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs                     2048       152      1896   7% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            761776     67120    694656   9% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
                             39664      6512     33152  16% /var/log
    tmpfs                    65536       168     65368   0% /tmp
    tmpfs                   122516         0    122516   0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
                           5952132   5576884    375248  94% /media/internal
    I hope I didn't do all this backing up, tweaking, resizing, etc just to end up with less USB storage and still a limit on my apps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    It seems we don't have to reboot and update fstab as above.
    I try :
    umount -f /media/internal
    to umount the filesystem and as the command change it , it succeeded.
    I have the same problem. Ran the resize instructions to the letter, with a successful repartitioning result, but I still can't load new Apps from the App Catalog. I deleted one and tried again, but still get the "Sorry, Not Enough Memory" warning. BTW, I did successfully restore the media/internals directory contents by first copying them to an empty directory on my WinXP laptop (including hidden files) in USB mode, then copying them back when the resize was complete. So nothing was lost (except a little time), but alas, nothing was gained either (no ability to add more Apps).
    I too followed these instructions and I still cannot download apps form the Palm app catalog. I get the memory error message. Any ideas how to fix this? My partition table is below.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I also just experienced the problem of still not being able to install anything and I followed the tutorial perfectly.
    Global Posts
    703 Global Posts
    How did you install the logical volume manager tools? On my Pre lvresize doesn't seem to be present, or it's not in the default path.
    Global Posts
    703 Global Posts
    I found them. The LVM tools are in /usr/sbin which isn't in the default path. Once I found everything this method worked great. I did the unmount on the /media/internal partition first, then I did the resize and reformat. I didn't have to mess with /etc/fstab at all.

I removed 4G from the /media/internal drive and added 2G to the var and root partitions. That still left 2.8G for the media drive, that's more than enough. My Canon camera and my old Treo 700p used 2G SD cards and I've never come close to filling the cards on either one.

Before I made this fix my Pre had become almost unusable, /var was at 100% which caused the phone to go off line. I did a Full Erase which as it turns out really isn't, all of the /opt stuff was still there and I was still able to ssh into the phone. After the Full Erase /var was at 99% so I did the resizing which worked without a hitch. Not / is at 16% and /var is at 11%
    Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 2490928 389796 2101132 16% /
    /dev/root 31728 11368 20360 36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    2490928 389796 2101132 16% /
    df: /dev/.static/dev: Permission denied
    tmpfs 2048 152 1896 7% /dev
    tmpfs 65536 2988 62548 5% /tmp
    tmpfs 122516 0 122516 0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    2285376 256544 2028832 11% /opt
    /dev/mapper/store-media
    2817664 11040 2806624 0% /media/internal
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    2285376 256544 2028832 11% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
    39664 5260 34404 13% /var/log
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Is there any reason why you don't unmount /media/internal before you stomp on /dev/mapper/store-media ?? It seems like you could avoid having a bad mounted filesystem by altering your method, like so:

<backup data, ie: scp /media/internal/* user@backupserver:/backup_dir>
    Code:
    umount /media/internal
    lvresize -L -1G /dev/mapper/store-media
    lvresize -L +512M /dev/mapper/store-root
    lvresize -L +512M /dev/mapper/store-var
    mount -o remount,rw /
    resize2fs /dev/mapper/store-var
    resize2fs /dev/mapper/store-root
    mount -o remount,ro /
    mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/mapper/store-media
    mount /media/internal
    I think I want to give this a shot later. Right now I'm in class with my Pre battery sitting at 18%

I'll come back and report later how this goes, unless you have some reason to believe I shouldn't do it
    Last edited by Kaihmeyer; 12/10/2009 at 07:32 PM.
    So now that the new OS is going to start storing apps on /media, is there a way to undo this partitioning without destroying the /var partition, so that /media can reclaim that extra 1G?
    Quote Originally Posted by fusoya View Post
    So now that the new OS is going to start storing apps on /media, is there a way to undo this partitioning without destroying the /var partition, so that /media can reclaim that extra 1G?
    You'll probably want to keep it for email ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I only have 127MB of emails in my gmail account, and that includes stuff archived in folders, so I'm not too worried about running out of space there (especially since 99% of the Pres out there are still using the default partition sizes). It looks like I could follow the instructions on page 1 but reverse the targets, except it sounds like it would corrupt /var ..... is there some way to backup and restore that partition, either by saving it on the /media partition or onto my windows computer?

If I mess up the partitions, would that brick the phone, or would a factory reset/WebDoctor still restore them (alas, with none of my files)?
    The doctor can fix it.

-- Rod
    Anybody can help me ?

I write to WebOS Quick install -> linux commandline this
    root@palm-webos-device: umount /media/internal
    root@palm-webos-device: lvresize -L -1G /dev/mapper/store-media
    But after that, it said please wait forever

I had been waiting for 1 hour, but nothing happened
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.him View Post
    Anybody can help me ?

I write to WebOS Quick install -> linux commandline this

But after that, it said please wait forever

I had been waiting for 1 hour, but nothing happened
    You *really* don't want to be doing critical stuff like that using the WebOS Quick Install command line window.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You *really* don't want to be doing critical stuff like that using the WebOS Quick Install command line window.

-- Rod
    What do u mean ?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast