Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Can someone make an app that when launched, can load up other apps? I.e: when launched, calendar, sms, weather, email etc...are opened. The apps would be customizable so the user can choose which are launched. This would be useful for us that chanhe themes, tinker with our Pre's and reboot often. It would also save space on the quick lanch bar, so we can put other apps there. Thanks for reading.
    Don't feel bad if nobody (else) responds to this. I posted a similiar request a month ago (at http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1829436 ) and got only 85 views and no responses! I would love this app too, so hopefully others actually read your post about it and respond! :-)
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    it's hard to believe nobody else is interested in an idea like this. How hard could it be to make an app like this anyways?
    Could be impossibly difficult, haven't looked into the API much, but my guess is that being able to launch other apps would be low priority and not included in the current version.

I would suspects this is also a safety hazard and might never be implemented.

I could very well be wrong, but my guess is this isn't possible currently as an "app," though I'm sure you could do it with a rooted Pre, wouldn't necessarily be easy though.
  5. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Apps can certainly open other apps. For example many appa can open google maps.
    This is possible with the API - an app can make multiple service calls to open other applications, see API docs for "Application Manager - launch".

The issue is getting a list of applications installed on the device to allow the user to pick and choose. I think this is likely a private API only allowed to Palm applications. Which fileCoaster and others fake to get at.

Without that you can only assume the pre-loaded application ids, or require the user know and manually type the id. Or accept that this would be a homebrew only app until a public API is provided.
    does this app have to save the prefs or do the prefs change each time.
    I threw something together, it currently can open ten apps at once ( i dont think youll need more!!!) the current programs available are, calender, clock, contacts, email, messaging, music, notes phone, tasks and photos., i will add more apps soon and an option to add your own apps.

Abe

download it here, com.abegee.applaunch_1.0.0_all.ipk - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
    i will upload to the homebrew catalog if needed.

Abe
    What would be better is if there was an app that could create a "shortcut batch file" which would create a icon on your Quick Launch or Launch bar that would open all the apps specified when the shortcut was made.

Kind've like a open-all icon. The app would just make the shortcut icons. It would be more productive than opening a custom app and then clicking "open" when it loaded.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    This is probably doable by using the "addLaunchPoint" method of the applicationManager service. Setup a launch point that launches this app, and provides the app ids as parameters to the launch to start each of them up.

This method is not public/documented. But might not be restricted access like some of the others - havent verified.
    i don't think, the addlaunchpoint can open more than one app. but i gotta go check it out.

Abe

EDIT: just looked into it looks doable using addLaunchPoint
    Last edited by abegee; 09/17/2009 at 09:24 PM.
    I like the idea of a 'folder' app too. An app icon named games, that when clicked on, brings you to another launcher page with games. Fully customizable, of course.
    Iv'e got the launchpoint working will release a new version tommorow hopefully to the catalog.
    i've updated the link so that you can now create a launchpoint, to start your apps with out having to open the main app.

the code is very buggy but the basic function works, will have to fix it before i upload it to the homebrew apps
    I really like this app. As soon as we get the option to add our own apps, this will be perfect. Thanks for your work on this abegee.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Great Job, abegee! This is exactly what I was talking about. Very nice touch with the "launchpoint" creation. Can't wait to see where this app is headed.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    i've updated the link so that you can now create a launchpoint, to start your apps with out having to open the main app.

the code is very buggy but the basic function works, will have to fix it before i upload it to the homebrew apps
    This is EXACTLY what I was looking for - now if you can add the ability for us to select apps from our Pre that are not part of Palm's default app list, it would be PERFECT!!!
    Steve
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post

abegee-

How do I edit an existing Lauchpoint to add addn'l apps to it, or do I need to delete it and then create a new one with the same name?
    Steve
    @smkcpa
    currently you will hsve to delete the launchpoint and create a new one.

I will be adding a feature that allows you to add your own apps, by entering the app name and domain eg. "com.abegee.launchpoint", or " com.biocandy.prejewled.

Abe
    i've updated the app, you can now add 4 custom apps to any launchpoint. it should be easily understandable if you have trouble working it out post here and i'll explain.

to test if your custom app is usable hit the launch button it'll do a test run and open the apps.

same link

http://www.box.net/shared/518x5e3g11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast