webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Proposal to install Homebrew apps on USB mount partition
Proposal to install Homebrew apps on USB mount partition

Old 09/15/2009, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

This would address issues with eating up space on the internal Linux filesystems.

Proposal to install Homebrew apps on /media/internal (USB partition) - WebOS Internals
xorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2009, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Two issues that I see off the top of my head:

1) /media/internal is a FAT file system, and doesn't support silly things like the Unix/Linux execute permission bit on files. Not the end of the world for most WebOS apps based on JavaScript, but fatal to any one that includes shell scripts or binary executables.

2) The kernel automagically unmounts /media/internal whenever you plug in a USB cable and choose to sync music or files. Any app installed on /media/internal would have it's files disappear (from the phone's perspective) whenever a USB transfer/sync was being done, which is probably not desirable.

If you browse around webos-internals, I seem to recall an old discussion about putting a loopback filesystem (virtual disk) onto /media/internal, and it was ultimately discouraged due to problem #2.....
vreihen is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: xorg
Old 09/15/2009, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback, good points. I've been experimenting with moving apps on USB drive and most work. The proposal to developers should be altered to...

- If the app is capable of running on /media/internal, consider putting it there rather than /var.

Of course PreWare and other install apps would need to ensure the AppPath exists in /etc/palm/luna.conf.

Alternatively, if we never get to the point of installing apps to /media/internal, we should promote the homebrew community to place their large data/metadata in that filesystem and not take up space on the core filesystems.

The homebrew community needs to come up with some standard practices to address the space issue.
Old 09/16/2009, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

A bit of a side note here about devs whom may be worried about code being exposed. Please take a look at Obfuscated code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and javascript obfuscation - Google Search

It will certainly make it harder for people to reverse engineer the apps if they are worried about them being used on /media/internal.
pyrognome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/17/2009, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

^Good potential work around for avoiding code exposure. Thanks for posting.

I've been experimenting with manually moving apps over to /media/internal and all so far are working fine, except for some core apps like the phone app.

It's based on this method I posted a while back..

Patch webOS Modifying a Stock App While Keeping the Original - WebOS Internals

I'll suggest to the PreWare developers that they add the AppPath to include /media/internal, which would allow developers to have the option to install their apps on that partition if they choose to. It needs support from the Dev community, and more testing.
Old 09/17/2009, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Alternative is to just steal space from /media/internal and give it to where the apps live...

I did a writeup on how to quickly do this here -

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1901300

-mark
diomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2009, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

^It's a slick option power users. Like it.

Am hoping to find a method that can be handled without too much interaction for end users. For what I'm proposing, PreWare (and other install apps) only needs to add an AppPath to one config file and developers then have the option to use the /media partition, saving space on the core Linux filesystems.

Easy and straightforward, but it needs coordination and agreement of the homebrew community. It's transparent to end users and actually much easier way of using media storage than the way ZLauncher 'moved' apps to SD card in PalmOS.
Old 09/18/2009, 11:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've done this in the past and it worked well. The only issue that arose was trying to delete and app using the orange button. The app icon would reappear after every boot or pkill LunaSysMgr command because the original application files were never deleted. I would have to manually delete the com.xxx.xxx directory. And obviously the apps weren't able to update themselves with newer versions (a new version would install itself in the /var directory).

I'm sure an agreed upon standard install would solve these issues.
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2011, 07:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorg View Post
This would address issues with eating up space on the internal Linux filesystems.

Proposal to install Homebrew apps on /media/internal (USB partition) - WebOS Internals
Wouldn't this cause problems with storage of pictures? Currently, I see a lot of unwanted images when I fire up the native photo app because they are stored in /media/internal.
lar3ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2011, 12:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:

Homebrew apps install in /media/cryptofs, which uses space dynamically from /media/internal.

Edit: It seems that the Communities app on the TouchPad shows the day and month, but not the year of the posts. This thread is from two years ago and is not relevant since webOS 1.3.5 was released.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Last edited by rwhitby; 11/10/2011 at 04:00 AM.
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2011, 01:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Homebrew apps install in /media/cryptofs, which uses space dynamically from /media/internal, so I'm not sure what this thread is actually about.

-- Rod
For some reason he sounds like he wants to go back to pre 1.3.5 days ... Smh

http://m.precentral.net/app-space-li...at-do-about-it

Its been fixed!!

http://m.precentral.net/webos-1-3-5-...pp-space-limit

But you knew all that anyway ... =P

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

follow me on twitter or Catch me at LOOT

ATTN: If You like my Patches or Themes please feel free to DONATE
sketch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2011, 02:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

I was shocked until I noticed the dates of the posts in this thread!!
CvvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2011, 07:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Homebrew apps install in /media/cryptofs, which uses space dynamically from /media/internal.

Edit: It seems that the Communities app on the TouchPad shows the day and month, but not the year of the posts. This thread is from two years ago and is not relevant since webOS 1.3.5 was released.

-- Rod
uess when I noticed that! That's right, about 2 milliseconds after I hit "Submit".
lar3ry is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0