Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I've been attempting to modify the App Catalog app to remove the limit of apps to install.

Have made some progress but still no luck in getting a successful installation. Here's what I've found so far...

In...
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.findapps/app/controllers

details-assistant.jsjsjs:

note lines 447, 451, 459, 460
    I've tried to force 447, 451 and 459 to 'true'. This allowed getting past the error message.

Lines 610
    Have attempted to adjust the app counter by forcing to 1 or subtracting rather than adding.

In...
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.findapps/weave/services

applicationinstaller.jsjsjs:

Line 52
    Experimented with changing the size factor. Made no difference. Also changed a few lines trying to force success with no go so far.

I've been trying various changes with each of these areas and made some progress but getting invalid install in the end. Any other ideas?
    Last edited by xorg; 09/18/2009 at 05:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    webosinternals wiki is here on this topic...

Removing app install limit in App Catalog - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Still no go. I'm able to get past the error message, it downloads the file, attempts to install but then gets an install fail.

Am focued on applicationinstaller.jsjsjs $code$ $but$ $it$ $may$ $be$ $deeper$ $down$ $than$ $that$. $Anyone$ $else$ $willing$ $to$ $take$ $a$ $look$ $at$ $this$?
    if there was a way to implement the install methods of webos quickinstall or preware since they both seem to surpass the install limit and are installing in the same directory as the official beta app catalog is installing

if someone posted something that helped you out dont forget to push the thanks button and let 'em they helped

always make backups of the files you mod, that or get accquainted with WebOs DR
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsavage06 View Post
    if there was a way to implement the install methods of webos quickinstall or preware since they both seem to surpass the install limit and are installing in the same directory as the official beta app catalog is installing
    WebOS Quick Install and Preware call the command line ipkg Linux tool directly. It seems that Palm has an API to perform that same functionality (we don't know whether they call the ipkg tool directly or whether they link against the libipkg.so library) and put an additional set of "safety" checks around it. fileCoaster and the Palm App Catalog use that API.

All of this is in a proprietary binary C/C++ program (LunaSysMgr), which we do not have access to the source code for, so it would be quite difficult to change it's operation. And since LunaSysMgr is to central to a lot of other Palm services, it can't really be replaced either.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Yea, I've been trapping the download of an app catalog app in /media/internal/download. Once the ipk is located there, I can manually install with ipkg even though I am 'over the limit', so the limitation is somewhere between 'findapps' code and ipkg, likely in LunaSysMgr... or maybe in the mojo framework somewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Yea, I've been trapping the download of an app catalog app in /media/internal/download. Once the ipk is located there, I can manually install with ipkg even though I am 'over the limit', so the limitation is somewhere between 'findapps' code and ipkg, likely in LunaSysMgr... or maybe in the mojo framework somewhere?
    It's definitely in the binary LunaSysMgr file. You can see the error strings in there.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    So how do I trap the app catalog download? With a shell session open, I attempted an install, but it doesn't seem to download there nor anywhere else (tried `find` in shell, with the "not enough room" msg box still open).
    Would you please post how you do this? I currently download until my limit, move them to my harddrive then download more, and then restore the moved apps, it would be a huge time saver just to download the ipkg and install it from the ipkg
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    It's a pain to do. You have to make the edits in first post (be sure to make a copy of original scripts). Reboot (or restart Luna). This allows you to download but the install will fail. When doing a download, watch /media/internal/downloads from a terminal prompt. When the file appears during download (keep doing an ls), copy it to another dir, such as previous (cp * ..). You have to do it quickly before install fails because it will delete the file. Then you can do an ipkg install *.ipk. I've confirmed several times this allows to install an app from the official App Catalog.

I only recommend this to those familiar with hacking code at this time until coming up with a cleaner method. If you found what I said above to be cryptic, this isn't for you.

I'm looking for a way to modify code so that it doesn't delete the file. I didn't plan to spend much time on it, holding out to see if os1.2 fixes the issue.

If OS1.2 doesn't fix the issue, I'll look for a way to script this change and maybe add to findapps a way to do ipkg install directly (like PreWare does).

Palm needs to address in next release or they're going to find that hackers will deal with it in ways that may not be very clean.
    Last edited by xorg; 09/24/2009 at 05:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    You could put a simple script in /media/internal/downloads that will copy the file after running the download.

First make the updates noted in post #1.

vi /media/internal/downloads/cpfile.s

while true
    do
    ls *.ipk
    if [ $? = 0 ]
    then
    cp *.ipk /media/internal
    break
    fi
    sleep 1
    done

run this script in the terminal while doing a download from App Catalog. It's a rough quick and dirty script but it will show the filename when it is done.

when you see the file in /media/internal, you can then do an ipkg install on the file. you have to rescan luna for the app to appear.

# luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}

Warning, this is not clean. Use at your own risk. Palm, if you would fix the issue, we wouldn't have to do unclean hacks.
    Last edited by xorg; 09/24/2009 at 05:26 PM.
    Thanks for the tips, I have no problem doing the mods but I dont think I will, it seems the end result isn't an improvement on my system, I appreciate your efforts to *fix* palms mistake
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Yea this is just a research thread. Once the pieces are in place a simplified solution would be next. If palm doesn't fix soon, we'll get it done. But come on Palm... Fix this.