Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Users of Preware who upgrade to the 0.9.1 version of the Package Manager Service will see a new feed called "Optware" available, containing a number of mobi.optware.* packages.

This is where I will be adding various Optware Linux command line applications, packaged in such a way that Linux command line access (sometimes known as "rooting your Pre") is not required to install them (however, depending on the specific package, it might be required to use them).

To install these packages, you need to be running Package Manager Service 0.9.0 or later, along with a recent version of the Preware installer. Jason is working on updating WebOS Quick Install to also be able to install these optware packages.

To use Linux command line applications, you can install the Terminal Service Plugin, and the Terminal application, and then you can access these Linux command line applications from inside the Terminal application.

Of course, you can immediately install either the dropbear or openssh SSH daemon, set up a /home/root/.ssh/authorized_keys file, set a very strong root password (using the pwgen Password Generator package), and securely log into your Pre as root using the ssh key (we do not allow logins as root using the password via ssh, but those who have expert Linux knowledge can changed that to suit their requirements).

The nano package, used from within the Terminal, is a good way to edit files on the Pre for people who are not familiar with the traditional Linux 'vi' editor.

And for those who are used to the Bash shell, we have also packaged that.

I have tested all these packages myself on the emulator, and some people have tested some of them on real devices. Once I get my hands on a real device (see Rod needs a Pre for details on how you can help out with that), I will be able to port and test more packages myself on the real device.

Eventually, we may see some of these Linux command line applications (such as an IRC client, or a Dynamic DNS client, or even a web server) being exposed to webOS applications through a service, thereby enabling some new and exciting webOS homebrew applications as a result.

If you have specific Linux command line applications that already exist in Optware, and you think they would be useful to a large group of people if packaged up for Preware, feel free to suggest candidate packages in this thread. Please only suggest things that already exist in Optware (you can find that list at Optware Packages).

Some people may have installed some of these packages during alpha testing when they were listed in the org.webosinternals.* naming scheme - these people should uninstall those packages and install the new ones from the separate mobi.optware.* naming scheme. We decided to split the linux command line applications up from the WebOS Internals applications that can be used by people who are not familiar with the Linux command line.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I would love to see an iRC Client on there... that's one thing I miss coming from my iPhone.... Also an SSH client like connectbot for Android would be nice...
    Are these new mobi packages going to be explained in detail on the webos-internals.org site? I am assuming these packages will be replacing the need to "root" into the pre to setup optware, dropbear, and an sftp server like I did months ago? Do you plan on providing instructions with these packages in regards to authorized keys?

I would love to use packages vs installing everything through command line. I feel that I would have more control over what is being installed on the phone interacting directly vs not knowing a ton about linux. I desire the need to have sftp on the phone.

Thanks~
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrognome View Post
    Are these new mobi packages going to be explained in detail on the webos-internals.org site? I am assuming these packages will be replacing the need to "root" into the pre to setup optware, dropbear, and an sftp server like I did months ago?
    I agree. That would be helpful.
    As far as I know, these ipks will simply install the linux files to you Pre, which you can then access via the Terminal app, eliminating the need for root access to install them manually
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    As far as I know, these ipks will simply install the linux files to you Pre, which you can then access via the Terminal app, eliminating the need for root access to install them manually
    It would be great if you guys could port IRSSI to Pre/webOS/Optware... I just tried it out via ssh into my server box, and it works, but it's not perfect. Having a local copy on the Pre itself would greatly improve the experience I'd think.
    For instance I see OpenSSH SFTP Server in Preware. It says that it can be accessed via wifi port 22. I get that part, next it says with key authentication only.

I have setup dropbear and sftp from long ago when it was being done through "rooting" using port 222.

I am not familiar with how to set up or work with key authentication. I would love some explanation on these packages in the wiki. I am not dumb and I am not going to install them without knowing what they do, I am just curious. I would love to toss the "rooting" method of dealing with these applications.
    Also, I checked the repository, and it says that OpenSSH only works over WiFi. Well guess what.. IT WORKS OVER EVDO AS WELL! ^_^;; You may wanna update that metainfo file or w/e when people go to DL OpenSSH.

^ ^ ^ ^

Proof! That image is a legit Pre screen capture via orange + sym + P!
    Nano has been working for a while hasn't it?

I remember rooting my pre for the first time and installing nano rather than vi; I'm used to the interface more.

Good stuff either way
    Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    Nano has been working for a while hasn't it?

I remember rooting my pre for the first time and installing nano rather than vi; I'm used to the interface more.

Good stuff either way
    if you're referring to my screenshot, then that's me SSHing into my Linux box on my Pre and then running the iRC client IRSSI.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    You can run irssi locally right now through the terminal app I've been doing it for a few days (just need to install it with ipkg-opt - see the webos-internals guide) it's really nice having the same client I use on my home machine available right on my phone - already have it all custom configured for my favorite networks as well. (also when running it in screen it even appears to have all the proper color support! although I can't seem to get screen running if su'd to another user besides root, so I end up runing screen as root and then su'ing to a different user for irssi - I don't think you should be using any web-enabled applications as root as you have to)
    Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    You can run irssi locally right now through the terminal app I've been doing it for a few days (just need to install it with ipkg-opt - see the webos-internals guide) it's really nice having the same client I use on my home machine available right on my phone - already have it all custom configured for my favorite networks as well. (also when running it in screen it even appears to have all the proper color support! although I can't seem to get screen running if su'd to another user besides root, so I end up runing screen as root and then su'ing to a different user for irssi - I don't think you should be using any web-enabled applications as root as you have to)
    Could you outline how do get it going here for everyone's reference?
    I don't mean to be rude, but you guy seem to be hijacking this thread talking about IRSSI and not the mobi.optware packages
    True, but I mentioned it when I discovered that SSH works via Wifi and EVDO.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiggitay View Post
    True, but I mentioned it when I discovered that SSH works via Wifi and EVDO.
    I suspect you still have remnants of the old installation process still installed, which you have manually modified to allow evdo.

Please post a listing of your /etc/event.d/ directory, listing any files named org.webosinternals.*, mobi.optware.*, or optware-* so we can debug further.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  16.    #16  
    Are these new mobi packages going to be explained in detail on the webos-internals.org site? I am assuming these packages will be replacing the need to "root" into the pre to setup optware, dropbear, and an sftp server like I did months ago? Do you plan on providing instructions with these packages in regards to authorized keys?
    Well, I'm actually expecting the more experienced Linux users in the community to step up to the plate and fill out these details on the wiki.

If that doesn't happen, then my limited spare time will be spent writing doco (that already exists in many other places on the internet) for these packages, rather than adding new packages. Which would you prefer?

The community can only scale if those who have experience in Linux step up and make it accessible to those who don't.

-- Rod
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    That's exactly right.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Well, I'm actually expecting the more experienced Linux users in the community to step up to the plate and fill out these details on the wiki.
    I know there are plenty of docs on the net but don't know what it is that the package installs. I know what binaries are, I was just hoping some one would step up and rite explanations about the mobi.optware on the wiki instead of just pushing it to the feed and having people install them with out know what they are doing.
  19.    #19  
    I know there are plenty of docs on the net but don't know what it is that the package installs. I know what binaries are, I was just hoping some one would step up and rite explanations about the mobi.optware on the wiki instead of just pushing it to the feed and having people install them with out know what they are doing.
    No-one should ever install an application on their computer without first knowing what it does. To do otherwise (in general, on any computer platform, not just the Pre) is just inviting malware.

-- Rod
  20.    #20  
    I am not familiar with how to set up or work with key authentication. I would love some explanation on these packages in the wiki.
    Application : Dropbear - WebOS Internals has the raw facts on what needs to be done to set up key authentication. I'm expecting others in the community to step up and turn those raw facts into end-user step-by-step instructions.

-- Rod
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast