Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I am a little confused on this process. I installed Optware on my Pre some time ago by following the "next steps" Next steps - WebOS Internals. I would like to remove this and install using Preware. To do this, I want to test out the process in the emulator. I installed the "Optware Bootstrap" using Preware in the emulator. I thought this would actually run as a script and guide me through the install. Now I am thinking it only downloads the script. If so where does it put it? I am missing something here. Please help.

Correction, it is all coming back. I didn't install using "next steps." I tried that and couldn't get it to work. I installed based on another thread using: http://palmpre-hacks.com/palm-pre-ha...your-palm-pre/.
    Last edited by todivefor; 12/29/2009 at 04:05 PM.
    Any help?
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by todivefor View Post
    I am a little confused on this process. I installed Optware on my Pre some time ago by following the "next steps" Next steps - WebOS Internals. I would like to remove this and install using Preware. To do this, I want to test out the process in the emulator. I installed the "Optware Bootstrap" using Preware in the emulator. I thought this would actually run as a script and guide me through the install. Now I am thinking it only downloads the script. If so where does it put it? I am missing something here. Please help.

Correction, it is all coming back. I didn't install using "next steps." I tried that and couldn't get it to work. I installed based on another thread using: How to SSH into Your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog!.
    Installing Optware via Preware makes all the script stuff obsolete. It's all packaged up in Preware now.

Just install the SSH server package you want (I suggest OpenSSH SFTP Server, which will pull in all the other ones you need), and follow the instructions in the Homepage link for the OpenSSH package to set up your ssh keys.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rod, thanks. That's all I needed. Have openssh working like a charm.
    I have a lot of customization that I have done since I installed the original(actually I believe it was the second iteration) optware script. Would it be ill-advised to add the feeds that preware points to for optware packages to my current ipkg-opt feeds? It seems like whoever maintains(or maintained) the previous feeds doesn't update the packages nearly as much as preware does and recently doesn't seemed to be getting updated much at all. I would like to steer away from having to undo all the customizations I have done so far. I am very comfortable on the command line so whatever is needed I can do.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    I have a lot of customization that I have done since I installed the original(actually I believe it was the second iteration) optware script. Would it be ill-advised to add the feeds that preware points to for optware packages to my current ipkg-opt feeds? It seems like whoever maintains(or maintained) the previous feeds doesn't update the packages nearly as much as preware does and recently doesn't seemed to be getting updated much at all. I would like to steer away from having to undo all the customizations I have done so far. I am very comfortable on the command line so whatever is needed I can do.
    I have designed the mobi.optware packages in Preware so that they can interoperate with the ipkg-opt packages you install on the command line.

Just don't install the same package in both, and if you do, remember that removing that package from one will delete the files but the other one will still think the package is installed.

In general, you should use the packages in Preware where possible, and revert to the command line for others.

The nslu2-linux.org feeds are maintained by a couple of people, just as much as the optware section in Preware. But the optware section in Preware has repackaged packages with additions specifically for the Pre and Pixi - the nslu2-linux.org cs08q1armel feed contains general packages that target multiple embedded routers, NAS boxes and smartphones.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Hi there!

I have problems with pwgen.
    All works fine before I doctored my phone yesterday.
    Now (and i think before the doctoring) I have installed terminus (terminal breaks at startup), nano, pwgen, bash, bootstrap and gnu readline library.
    When i type in "pwgen" in terminus, my pre replies "-sh: pwgen: not found"
    I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the pwgen package several times, but not success.

OS-Infos
    before doctoring: doctored 1.0.3 - updated to 1.5.2 - updated to 1.4.0
    now: doctored 1.4.0

with hope that its in context with my nooby linux knowledge
    schrolli
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by schrolli View Post
    Hi there!

I have problems with pwgen.
    All works fine before I doctored my phone yesterday.
    Now (and i think before the doctoring) I have installed terminus (terminal breaks at startup), nano, pwgen, bash, bootstrap and gnu readline library.
    When i type in "pwgen" in terminus, my pre replies "-sh: pwgen: not found"
    I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the pwgen package several times, but not success.

OS-Infos
    before doctoring: doctored 1.0.3 - updated to 1.5.2 - updated to 1.4.0
    now: doctored 1.4.0

with hope that its in context with my nooby linux knowledge
    schrolli
    Should be fixed in 2.0.4-2

-- Rod
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123