Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    lol, I was going to redirect the output of the dropbear key list to authorized_keys.

HOW the heck does one get a > for a redirection?????

*using the terminal application.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Compusmurf View Post
    lol, I was going to redirect the output of the dropbear key list to authorized_keys.

HOW the heck does one get a > for a redirection?????

*using the terminal application.
    From Application:Terminal - WebOS Internals it is the Shift-.

Hope this helps... plee3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiggitay View Post
    Also, I checked the repository, and it says that OpenSSH only works over WiFi. Well guess what.. IT WORKS OVER EVDO AS WELL! ^_^;; You may wanna update that metainfo file or w/e when people go to DL OpenSSH.

^ ^ ^ ^

Proof! That image is a legit Pre screen capture via orange + sym + P!
    If IRC can be done with the terminal, then how hard could it be to create a GUI app of this IRC for the Palm Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    From Application:Terminal - WebOS Internals it is the Shift-.

Hope this helps... plee3
    Um. Now I feel dumb....

I was just there too and didn't bother to look for anything cool like that..........

Thanks.
  5.    #25  
    Also, I checked the repository, and it says that OpenSSH only works over WiFi. Well guess what.. IT WORKS OVER EVDO AS WELL! ^_^;; You may wanna update that metainfo file or w/e when people go to DL OpenSSH.

(Image removed due to the profanities in it)

^ ^ ^ ^

Proof! That image is a legit Pre screen capture via orange + sym + P!
    That screen shows a Terminal session running IRC on the command line (or perhaps an ssh connection to another machine running IRC, I'm not sure).

Outgoing connections are not blocked in any way on a Pre. What you are showing is quite orthogonal to whether incoming ssh access is available on the evdo or wifi connections.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 09/15/2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Removed the image.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    If IRC can be done with the terminal, then how hard could it be to create a GUI app of this IRC for the Palm Pre?
    You just need to write a Java (not javascript) or C/C++ service which interfaces to the IRC client for the webOS GUI front-end to use.

Conceptually quite doable. Not a trivial task though.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Could you outline how do get it going here for everyone's reference?
    not to hijack this further but I made a wiki on the subject here:
    Linux Tutorial Irssi - WebOS Internals - Listed under the Linux Apps section of the wiki
    (I'm still under my 10 post count to post links, someone else will have to post it until I can edit this)

I may be doing steps in it unncessary with the new mobi packages available, but it explains in detail with common usage, etc etc and how I personally got it working.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Well, I'm actually expecting the more experienced Linux users in the community to step up to the plate and fill out these details on the wiki.

If that doesn't happen, then my limited spare time will be spent writing doco (that already exists in many other places on the internet) for these packages, rather than adding new packages. Which would you prefer?

The community can only scale if those who have experience in Linux step up and make it accessible to those who don't.

-- Rod
    I'll do my best to help where I can, started today on that
    I have previously used the automated optware setup script to get going with optware.

Now I see that you have made installing some linux software seductively easy via Preware. But Preware wants to install optware bootstrap before installing other linux apps.

The optware bootstrap in Preware warns you not to install if if you have optware installed via the script.

Since optware is already installed, and from your first post in this thread, Preware is just adding some linux software, Can I use preware to install the linux utils without installing the Preware version of optware bootstrap?

If I cannot, and I decide to go with the Preware optware bootstrap, how do I undo the automated script install of optware? What do I need to uninstall?
    Last edited by dbtrade; 11/17/2009 at 03:40 AM. Reason: clarity and spelling
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbtrade View Post
    I have previously used the automated optware setup script to get going with optware.

Now I see that you have made installing some linux software seductively easy via Preware. But Preware wants to install optware bootstrap before installing other linux apps.

The optware bootstrap in Preware warns you not to install if if you have optware installed via the script.

Since optware is already installed, and from your first post in this thread, Preware is just adding some linux software, Can I use preware to install the linux utils without installing the Preware version of optware bootstrap?

If I cannot, and I decide to go with the Preware optware bootstrap, how do I undo the automated script install of optware? What do I need to uninstall?
    That's not an easy one.

You will need to remove all the things that the optware bootstrap script installed. You will need to read the script to determine this.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    is the optware package feed down?

Code:
    Failed to update the local Optware package database

Please paste the contents of /tmp/optware-bootstrap.sh.log to http://webos.pastebin.com/
    and seek help in the IRC channel #webos-internals.
    That's not an easy one.

You will need to remove all the things that the optware bootstrap script installed. You will need to read the script to determine this.

-- Rod
    Well I've read the script and it is not so much, installs the library creates a non-priveleged user, openssh and dropbear. I do have some things 'tweaked' in there.

But...i'd ideally like to use Prewear to install additional linux packages when it is convenient without having to remove the optware I've already got working.

Could I somehow get Preware to bring on the linux package without first installing the optware bootstrap?

What's the risk here? I suppose if I remove the auto-scripted optware, i could go back and tweak what Preware installs.... But then am I constrained to adding olny what Preware installs? If I add other mobi.optware myself, will I be in danger of getting entangled in some way?

I'm thinking of running Bacula for example.

Or am I way over-thinking this as is my usual sop.
    Last edited by dbtrade; 11/17/2009 at 07:34 AM. Reason: additional ? clarification
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Nevermind, need to rebuild my emulator.
    bump
  14.    #34  
    Well I've read the script and it is not so much, installs the library creates a non-priveleged user, openssh and dropbear. I do have some things 'tweaked' in there.

But...i'd ideally like to use Prewear to install additional linux packages when it is convenient without having to remove the optware I've already got working.

Could I somehow get Preware to bring on the linux package without first installing the optware bootstrap?

What's the risk here? I suppose if I remove the auto-scripted optware, i could go back and tweak what Preware installs.... But then am I constrained to adding olny what Preware installs? If I add other mobi.optware myself, will I be in danger of getting entangled in some way?

The things that are installed with ipkg-opt are different from the mobi.optware packages in the normal Preware feeds (the latter is just a couple of end-user-friendly packaged item from the former).

You can mix them, but you need to be careful, and you loose all guarantees of things working properly. Basically, you need to know what you are doing first before you attempt this.

-- Rod
    i saw nmap in the list, ! will it work???

that will be very cool to have a network security scanner on my pre.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by p25o1 View Post
    i saw nmap in the list, ! will it work???

that will be very cool to have a network security scanner on my pre.
    Try it and let us know ...

-- Rod

You can mix them, but you need to be careful, and you loose all guarantees of things working properly. Basically, you need to know what you are doing first before you attempt this.

-- Rod
    Shoot! There are guarantees!

Thanks for the caveats and replies.

db

dbtrade, I am in the same boat as you. I have run Linux for 2 yrs (rather sporadically) and still consider myself a noob. I have been studying the Optware bootstrap script, but am still not comfortable uninstalling and installing through Preware yet. If anyone comes up with exactly what needs to be done, I would be interested. Until then, I'll continue to muddle along.
    i just installed preware, but didn't find nmap on the list.

i was referring earlier to the list in svn.nslu2-linux.org/svnroot/optware/trunk/make

i'll start testing other application, but i'll be really looking forward to try network tools such as nmap/ tcpdump/ ettercap.

all the best porting the application.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by p25o1 View Post
    i just installed preware, but didn't find nmap on the list.

i was referring earlier to the list in svn.nslu2-linux.org/svnroot/optware/trunk/make

i'll start testing other application, but i'll be really looking forward to try network tools such as nmap/ tcpdump/ ettercap.

all the best porting the application.
    Preware only has a very small subset of Optware packaged up for installation via Preware (cause you need to add icons, screenshots, descriptions, etc).

-- Rod
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast