1.    #1  
    Hi. I've just started porting my application from the iPhone to WebOS. I love the environment in general. Just one question... How do I debug this puppy?

I spent 2 days trying to get some basic stuff working and it was all due to a missing comma in the sources.json

I haven't even gotten to the hard code yet!

Is there console output I'm missing? Is there a debug switch somewhere? How should I be finding these things. I'm pretty sure the framework must have thrown an exception somewhere when it loaded sources.json but I didn't see anything.

Thanks!!!
    What I do, is the basic "print" method to help narrow down error locations in the code. I use the jsjsjs $call$ Mojo.Log.error("here I am") at different locations in my code to help narrow down the problem areas. This text string is written to the /var/log/messages file on the emulator and I monitor contents of this file from a Putty connection to the emulator from my PC. In the Putty terminal screen I use the Linux command tail -f /var/log/messages to see a constant stream of what is being written to the messages file.

Unfortunately, the Eclipse IDE that I use for Palm Pre development doesn't have much error checking for coding typos. I've spend a lot of time tracking down simple errors like not capitalizing certain letters for system function names or missing semi-colons, etc.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    for the same result as tailing the log, you can use log com.mydomain.myapp via the putty connection (with your app specifics in place of com.mydomain.myapp).
    You can use the log or actually do command line debugging with breakpoints, steps, etc.

However, for simple intra-scene debugging, you could just place a div with an id and write your debug output to it.

For example,

In your scene html.
    <div id="txtDebug"></div>

In your assistant.
    $('txtDebug').InnerHTML = "Some debu code " + strSomeDebugVar;

This clearly has limitations, but it can be useful. It is especially helpful when having others test your app. In those cases, you can add a key command to show or hide the debug div. That way, you can have your testers display it and take a screenshot when they run into an error.
    Is there a way of making the JSJSJS $interpretor$ $on$ $the$ $phone$ $more$ $descriptive$ $when$ $a$ $statement$/$variable$ $is$ $wrong$? $Like$ $a$ $strict$ $mode$ $in$ $Perl$ ($gives$ $you$ $errors$ $if$ $you$ $use$ $undeclared$ $varables$). $Right$ $now$ $it$ $bails$ $out$ $in$ $the$ $erroneous$ $statement$ $with$ $no$ $error$ $message$ $if$ $I$ $for$ $example$ $mismatch$ $the$ $parentheses$.
    You might try using the JSLint feature in Templarian's Komodo add-on. It can help find some coding errors.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ompletion.html
    actually, Templarian's komodo edit with put red squigglies under any line that isn't valid javascript.
    ^That's not me, that's Komodo.

Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    You might try using the JSLint feature in Templarian's Komodo add-on. It can help find some coding errors.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ompletion.html
    I don't parse .json files though (other than framework_config.json and appinfo.json).

That is a good suggestion though I'll see if I can write a parser into the next update to double check the sources.json for errors.
    Last edited by Templarian; 09/15/2009 at 02:32 PM.