Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    We need better games....how bout some racing games....how bout a flight simulator game..........if we games like these the pre would really be better then the iphone
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    We need better games....how bout some racing games....how bout a flight simulator game..........if we games like these the pre would really be better then the iphone
    I agree they would be great, and I'd like to be able to provide them. But right now the SDK is lacking some key capabilities needed for the kinds of games you cite. It's been covered ad nauseam here, so I won't get into details, but the key shortcomings center around accelerometer support, OpenGL, javascript performance, and sound. Some of these can be addressed in the short term, some have already been addressed in hacks, but others are more challenging.

What you see in homebrew, give or take some additional refinement, is about what the platform is capable of right now. Homebrew is a very accurate metric to go by.
    You need more games? Goodness. For a user such as myself, business oriented applications are in the need group.
    What he NEEDS is an Xbox360.

What he wants is an iphone.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post

+1
    I love games and have an xbox 360, wii, pc and the kids have psp and a gameboy.
    I can't see any reason to have anything more than timekiller games on a cell phone.
    The last thing I NEED to do is look at a tiny screen when I have an xbox 360 to my 52" hdtv.... It's a phone... buy a psp, it does games much better, has a bigger screen and buttons.
    the pre will play good games ,its just a matter of how long will it take for webgl to be to developed and developers to develope the games lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    As much as I appreciate a good racing game, a game like WordAce satisfies all my mobile gaming needs - a stimulating game that doesn't get old AND is interactive (w profiles and such).

If you want to game and are willing to handle only one device, then get an IPhone. If you love and want to keep your Pre, then get an ITouch ; )
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Funny
    lol things take time.. how long was it since the first iphone was released and a game like you are describing was released for it?
    Check out GetMeVino!
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mt3ck View Post
    lol things take time.. how long was it since the first iphone was released and a game like you are describing was released for it?
    Depends on how you want to count. The Jailbreak scene had 3D games on the iPhone within about 30 days after the 2007 launch.

When Apple released the iPhone 3G and SDK in 2008, which is the most direct comparison to Palm releasing the Pre and an SDK here in 2009, 3D games were available at launch of the app store .

So technically, the wheels were spinning on the iPhone many months in advance of their SDK launch, and they had key technologies in place from the get-go. That's a big difference from the situation we face on webOS right now.
    Yea, give it some time some of these games take a bit to get ready for. Especially multi-player games which require a nice server backing first or things can go bad fast.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

HAHAHAH.... dont we all need an xbox360
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by genEric122 View Post
    I love games and have an xbox 360, wii, pc and the kids have psp and a gameboy.
    I can't see any reason to have anything more than timekiller games on a cell phone.
    The last thing I NEED to do is look at a tiny screen when I have an xbox 360 to my 52" hdtv.... It's a phone... buy a psp, it does games much better, has a bigger screen and buttons.
    Lets also see you can make phone calls on a psp without wifi!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    The ipone also has a heads-up display app for ur car....that would be nice!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    How bout loopt.......its a program that lets you see where ur friends are on a map.....you can get it on ur iphone and ur blackberry.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    And the iphone now has myst the game for like 5.99.....I can't wail till the pre has better games....
    And the iphone now has myst the game for like 5.99.....I can't wail till the pre has better games....
    That game ****ed me off over a decade ago.. why suffer again?

Entertainment is all well and good, but there are better developed markets for it than phones..

Personally, Id much prefer a mobile office type package, the ability to edit and save/send word docs (including .docx), PDF's, and excel files. This would help me far more than a flight sim game that is best played on my desktop with my sticks/throttle/pedals. Otherwise its not a flight sim, its a flying arcade :P hah.

As far as games go, racing games, even porting over oldie type 2d racing games (ever play street rod?) would suffice IMO, and be fun. However, the last thing I need in an airport terminal is to look like I should be wearing a helmet because Im twisting my phone every-which way and yelling random phrases at my phone concerning the performance of my virtual short-bus to be!
    So technically, the wheels were spinning on the iPhone many months in advance of their SDK launch, and they had key technologies in place from the get-go. That's a big difference from the situation we face on webOS right now.
    I agree. Palm has horribly screwed up the dev side of Pre launch for any kind of non-trivial games & applications. Its doubly sad because the Pre hardware really rocks and even a basic OpenGL ES driver would have been nice. I guess Palm learnt a total of 0 lessons from the failed Web focus of the iphone launch.

Dont get me wrong,.. unlike some other people are I'm not necessarily against the Web strategy. JSJSJS $is$ $an$ $OK$ $language$ $and$ $it$ $will$ $attract$ $more$ $developers$ $to$ $the$ $platform$ $than$ $something$ $like$ $C$ $would$ $have$, $initially$ $anyway$, $which$ $will$ $hopefully$ $translate$ $to$ $the$ $Pre$ $being$ $an$ $attractive$ $platform$ $for$ $developers$ &$amp$; $consumers$. $But$ $we$ $need$ $to$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $write$ $native$ $compiled$ $applications$ $with$ $powerful$ $languages$ $like$ $C$. $Heck$ $I$'$d$ $settle$ $for$ $the$ $current$ $atrocious$ $state$ $of$ $developer$ $tools$ $if$ $it$ $meant$ $we$ $could$ $write$ $native$ $apps$ $in$ $C$.

-V
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Ok...ok...not eveyone is a gamer....I know that......but you don't have to put gamers down.......thais therad is for the people to suggest apps so that delvepers might want to make apps that are better than what is out there right now.......but I do like ur idea of a mobile office app....I was thinking of something like "open office"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast