1.    #1  
    Don't laugh -- I know that I am one of the older people on this forum.

One of my interests is genealogy. One of the reasons I stayed with Palm OS for so many years was that there was a great genealogy program -- Gedstar. The developer has said that he is not going to develop for Web OS. I would pay for a decent Web OS genealogy database program.
    I have also made this request, but so, have not heard of anyone taking on this type of programming. Hope to see something when the app store opens.
    Maybe if you mapped out a set of desired features, that might pique someone's interest.

I know my wife uses a lot of online stuff (for example: Ancestry.com). Are there any public sites where family trees can be entered? Maybe the Pre could be made to talk to some web applications or web services to store data with perhaps a nice Pre App front end to manage work in progress (or something similar).
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Maybe if you mapped out a set of desired features, that might pique someone's interest.

I know my wife uses a lot of online stuff (for example: Ancestry.com). Are there any public sites where family trees can be entered? Maybe the Pre could be made to talk to some web applications or web services to store data with perhaps a nice Pre App front end to manage work in progress (or something similar).
    Thanks for your response. A front end app to Ancestry.com might work. But I am a little concerned about putting too much information on such a public site. My research is always a work in progress and I would hate to have other people perpetuating possible errors.

What I would love to see is an app that uses a gedcom (a standardized output file from the various desktop genealogy programs) to show the relationships of one person to another. See the link below to see several screenshots of the Palm OS program that I used (Gedstar):

GedStar Pro Screens

Gedstar could not be modified on the phone which may have simplified the program. (I would convert a new gedcom every month or so.) However, I am aware of at least one WinMo program that can be modified on the phone.

In the meantime, I am carrying around a 128-page PDF file that is a text file report of the complete output of my desktop genealogy program. It is not very easy to wade through so many pages to find information I am looking for.

I would be happy to provide additional information to a potential developer. Thanks.
    I would love to see a webos front end app to access Free Family Tree | Genealogy - Geni

I have tons of family already on that site. It would be cool to be able to access this with the PRe...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    My wife was also reluctant to switch to the Pre and lose access to her genealogy information. She explained that it's too difficult to bring a laptop into the repositories she does research in. Many don't even allow laptops. She needs to have access to verify if she's on the right track and avoid researching people with the same name who aren't relatives.

She mentioned that all Genealogy programs on the market have the ability to export into a GEDCOM format, so it allows for a universal format. Like the previous poster, she agreed that the app could be a "read-only" and not allow for editing of the information, but requested a notes component so she could track her findings to enter into her more robust desktop program.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.