Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I would like to learn how to make apps.......I don't know code....and I don't know where to start....can sombody tell me what to do.......I only ask that you make it very simple since I said that I don't know anything about programing......thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    I would like to learn how to make apps.......I don't know code....and I don't know where to start....can sombody tell me what to do.......I only ask that you make it very simple since I said that I don't know anything about programing......thanks
    Not sure what a devleper is but for developer's I would start by downloading the SDK per the instructions on developer (dot) palm (dot) com (apparently I cant post links until I have 10 posts). and then do some basic HTML, CSS, Javascript and AJAX tutorials to get familiar with them. Then I would do the Hello World on the website I listed above. And lastly, I would buy the WebOS book from O'Reilly and follow it to learn how to program the news reader XML feed program.

The most important thing is practice practice practice..

Good Luck!
    Seigex, thanks for this info, I'm also interested in dvlpng an app. I thought I was on the right track and now see that I am. Thanks again.
    I would recommend developing the app as a normal browser web page. If you have done no javascript and web development before, debugging in WebOS is difficult.

Use Firefox with the Firebug plugin to help debug and learn javascript. Then when you have the functionality down, port it over. Seem like more work, but it will be quicker.

None of the Mojo.* type calls of WebOS specific Widgits will work in a browser, but you will learn Javascript syntax.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 09/14/2009 at 08:15 AM.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by seigex View Post
    Not sure what a devleper is
    I think its a developer with leprosy.
    Hey,

Try out my tutorial here.

It should help you get off the ground... hopefully...
    Quote Originally Posted by balderson View Post
    I think its a developer with leprosy.
    lmao
    I'd also recommend checking your local community colleges for intro programming classes. They are usually really cheap and could help get you going. Learning programming on your own from scratch is certainly doable, but a little boost from a class environment could really help.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    -Check out htmldog.com to learn basic html and css. If you want more detail, look for a learning book.

-Buy a javascript learning book, like Head First Javascript. Javascript is much more difficult to understand than html. Buy a book and learn it right, or like the above poster said, find a class.

-Buy the webOS book and read that so you understand how the apps work. There are also youtube vids by palm that explain the webOS basics as well.

-Don't be afraid to look at other people's source code (just don't distribute it!!!) to learn how things work.

-Finally, developer.palm.com is your friend, as are these forums. Don't be afraid to ask if you have a question.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    i cant install v-box.....can someone help me???

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Great links everyone...thanks.
    If you aren't in a hurry to build an app right away the best way to get started is to learn the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (w/Prototype) before touching the SDK. Otherwise you'll download it and feel very overwhelmed when looking at example code (which usually leads to one giving up). It's really a lot simpler than it looks, but you have to know the basics!

I recommend the "For Dummies" books since you haven't coded before. They are very thorough and don't inundate you with tech talk that you haven't heard before...

- HTML, XHTML & CSS For Dummies
    - JavaScript & AJAX For Dummies

After you have the basics of HTML/CSS/JavaScript down, start learning the Prototype framework (It will help GREATLY when building webOS apps)...

- Prototype JavaScript Framework

I'm actually not a big fan of the O'Reilly Palm webOS development book, but it does hold some value. I've found the Palm Developer Site & webOS-internals site a much better resource for usable code examples than the O'Reilly book. It does have a great Appendix in the back for reference use though...

- O'Reilly Palm webOS
    - Palm Developer Website
    - webOS-Internals Website

This may seem like a lot, but most of what you need to know can be learned in the first month of studying. You only need to know VERY BASIC HTML and mid-level CSS for webOS developement (two weeks max if you have an aptitude for it). JavaScript/Prototype should dominate most of your studies, add another month or so for that. This puts you in the 1 1/2 - 2 month range to have a good base to start building apps. You'll grow from there as you code more!

Hope that helps...
    Last edited by Laxidasical; 11/05/2009 at 12:46 AM.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    that still wont help me to install v-box.....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    did you make sure you have the latest java loaded? what platform are you downloading the sdk and vbox onto? some folks had issues with the 64bit Vista, and i'm sure you can find plenty of help on this forum searching. hope that helps.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    What are the exact issues you're having installing VirtualBox?

And while his post didn't specifically address your VirtualBox issue, I think his suggestion of learning some more about web development (and programming in general) is a good idea. Jumping into it without having any knowledge is not going to work out so well.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    this is what i get.........
    Attached Images Attached Images

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    then this
    Attached Images Attached Images

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts