1.    #1  
    Well I am pretty sure that like me there are people out there that just could not understand the commands in linux for the pre. Well I am here to change that. I know how hard it is and how frustrating. The amount of time spent just trying to make your pre as awesome as everyone elses lol. I am pretty sure that if you follow my steps you too will have all your friends jelous of your pre lol.

This guide will be based on the basic commands in linux to get where you need to get in order to get what you want to get. I am assuming everyone knows at least how to "root" or gain linux access on thier pre. Its simple and can be found at web-os internals.

So once we have access to linux on the pre it will show.

root@castle:/#

From here type : cd /usr/ (then hit enter)

*cd is the open command so we are opening the usr folder*

You should see it change to : root@castle:/usr#

*what this means is we are in the usr folder*

Now type ls and hit enter

*ls is a command which means to list what is inside each folder*

You will now see the name of each folder in the usr folder

So say we wanted to get into the luna folder now we would type:

cd /usr/luna/ then hit enter

again same as before you will be in that directory to see what is in it type ls
    it will list everything in that folder or files in the folder. You can do this to look everywhere in the pre all folders icons, etc. all you have to do is add the name of whatever pops up when you type ls. ex cd /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/ and so on and so forth.

Now that we can look wherever we want in whatever folder its time to learn the copy command to get what we want to the pres usb folder. Once its in there we can copy it to our pc and do what we want with it.

I am hoping that by now we know how to see what files we want so for an example in this tutorial I know most people want to change their dialer background. Before we start copying files we need to make sure that we make the folder writable so we use this command: mount -o remount, rw /
    That will give you access to copy the files.
    So once youve done that type

cd /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/ hit enter you will be in the directory now type ls to list the images.

once the images are listed to copy an image the command we use is cp. ex. cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/backdrop-phone.png /media/internal/

In english lol cp (copy) from directory/filename to /media/internal (palm usb folder)

*MAKE SURE THE PRE IS CONNECTED IN JUST CHARGE MODE OR YOUR FILE WILL NOT COPY!!*

A more advanced and time saving solution to getting the files is another command which is cp -r. What this does is copy all the contents of the directory to the pre's usb folder. For example.
    cp -r /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images /media/internal/
    This will copy all the contents of the phone apps images folder to the usb folder.

Now that we have done what we wanted to the backdrop-phone.png file in order to get it back where we want it is very simple its basically reversing the command. For example : cp /media/internal/backdrop-phone.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/

in english *copy from usb/ name of file /to the folder it was in*

*YOU MUST MAKE SURE THAT YOU PUT THE FILE BACK IN THE PRE USB FOLDER BEFORE DOING THIS COMMAND*

*ALWAYS MAKE SURE THAT YOU REMOUNT THE FOLDERS AS READ ONLY AFTER YOUR DONE*

mount -o remount, ro /

To see your changes you can reboot your phone through linux command using
    stop LunaSysMgr && start LunaSysMgr

or you can reset from the device info app on the phone.
    You should see your changes.

There we have it! I hope that this guide helps everyone out there having trouble browsing linux on the pre. I also have a zip file containing all icons, music,videos,images,fonts etc from the pre located here.

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

Take care everyone!!
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Thanks for taking the time to write this up for people. More tutorials are always good. You should check out webos-internals.org, as there are many helpful tutorials and explanations there, as well.

Here's another Linux tutorial which you might want to take a look at: webos-internals.org/wiki/Basic_Linux_Use

You may be interested in helping out on webos-internals with preparing tutorials and guides.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you for the link. That is actually how I learned what I know so far. This tutorial is more for the people that just dont understand the language thats why I tried to break it down in english as much as possible. Most of the time people see command prompts and run lol.
    Opps i tried some command line and now i cant even get my pre in to recovery mode I messed up big time I know windows very well but Linux not so much
    @gtaristsoul220 Great post! the only thing i wantto mention is you might want to remove the link. Those files are copywritten by Palm & it might not be so legal to host them.

Again, great post!