Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I keep hearing that 1.2 was delayed or pulled or whatever.... because of the ITunes update Breaking the Sync on the Pre.

I have an opinion... (maybe Good, maybe Not)

I have read that the app catalog and or store are not up and running yet (out of beta). That being said 1.2 has the updated app catalog, And I believe I read its not functional in 1.2 yet So I believe thats why Palm hasn't officially released the 1.2 update.

So when we finally get the official 1.2, The new app catalog should be out of beta and able to charge you for apps.

So what do you guys think.
    Well all that would have to be done is put the new app store online, which would take a minute. Maybe the app store was ready but because of itunes they haven't released 1.2 and therefore they haven't put the new app store online.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
    Well all that would have to be done is put the new app store online, which would take a minute. Maybe the app store was ready but because of itunes they haven't released 1.2 and therefore they haven't put the new app store online.
    I tend to think its the other way around, Why would palm hold back 1.2 for ITunes which doesn't make palm money like the new app store (the ability to make money anyway)

I'm pretty sure if the app store was ready palm would have launched it.

1.2 has specific app store coding, Just ask the guys who are already running 1.2 and cannot access the app store till 1.2 is official or they go back to 1.1
    It could be a combination of things...I would'nt let a single reason make me postpone a revenue generating venture when revenue is my weakest link....maybe its a combination of Itunes, Wanting a "Wave" of new apps, and tweaking 1.2 based on user feedback?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Well based on the fact that sprints website had the date of Sept 8 I think itunes is the main culprit.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    It could be a combination of things...I would'nt let a single reason make me postpone a revenue generating venture when revenue is my weakest link....maybe its a combination of Itunes, Wanting a "Wave" of new apps, and tweaking 1.2 based on user feedback?
    I'll agree w/ that!

Are you running 1.2 yet? I am still debating on whether or not to go ahead w/ it.

I am getting kinda bored since Ive done every tweak there is, Waiting on 1.2 so I can get back to tweaking. (This is better than drugs!)

My only reason for not doing this yet is I haven't had to run the Dr. yet so I still have my complete call history on my Pre that I don't want to lose as well as my chat history.
    i really don't think you'd hold back a whole update just for iTunes syncing. They could have easily released the update and released a 1.2a later on. But to hold back a whole update just to sync with iTunes, sounds like a tech conspiracty theory.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
    Well based on the fact that sprints website had the date of Sept 8 I think itunes is the main culprit.
    That date was the expected date that palm was supposed to have 1.2 ready, If the Itunes thing is the real reason for delaying this very important update then palm deserves to fail. Dont get me wrong I love my Pre, but palm need to grow up and quit poking the giant and get to work fixing the little bugs and making this platform as stable as possible.

I believe palm will be taking WebOs to the next level like Android by running it as a netbook Os.

Itune is a piece of crap, There are many other syncing programs that function way better, are more user friendly, and are faster that Palm could easily implement w/o holding back valuable updates.
    I actually think that all of this was an intentional ploy by Palm. It got more hype and advertising for Palm, maybe it was done, maybe Palm found a major fault in the update and pulled it 5mins before i was planned to be released. Honestly we don't know and may not know so why speculate and why not just wait in anticipation
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Speculation is fun!

Im hoping that they did find something they could easily implement into 1.2 that was over looked. All in all i just hope the code is written better so our phones are a little smoother. I just pulled out my ipod touch and forgot how smooth the interface responds to inputs.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    I'll agree w/ that!

Are you running 1.2 yet? I am still debating on whether or not to go ahead w/ it.

I am getting kinda bored since Ive done every tweak there is, Waiting on 1.2 so I can get back to tweaking. (This is better than drugs!)

My only reason for not doing this yet is I haven't had to run the Dr. yet so I still have my complete call history on my Pre that I don't want to lose as well as my chat history.
    Not yet. I'm waiting, I half feel as though the 1.2 people are putting on is incomplete and will require another webos DR visit to function...I just don't want to do it twice. I keep telling my self I need to prepare for it, but I am sure that once it hits, I will run home from work and spend the night wiping, updating and rebooting....I hit a wall a few weeks ago with the tweaking and got bored theming(sp?) it. I should start working on Zompre V3 soon though. I want a new one for 1.2.

12.    #12  
    Not yet. I'm waiting, I half feel as though the 1.2 people are putting on is incomplete and will require another webos DR visit to function...I just don't want to do it twice. I keep telling my self I need to prepare for it, but I am sure that once it hits, I will run home from work and spend the night wiping, updating and rebooting....I hit a wall a few weeks ago with the tweaking and got bored theming(sp?) it. I should start working on Zompre V3 soon though. I want a new one for 1.2.
    Yeah I know! I will not be wiping mine though, I plan on backing out the WebOsQuickInstall Tweaks and removing the quilt patches, But the code work Ive done I will leave in place, If it screws up something I feel certain I have the linux coding ability to fix it. If not I can always replace the individual file w/ the official 1.2 file through WinScp and redo my coding tweaks.
    im using the leaked 1.2 and it is much more smooth then 1.1 works great no app catalog.. i imported the app catalog app from 1.1 doctor into my pre so i can still get beta catalog apps
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    My opinion is that since releasing the Palm Pixi full specs and getting some feedback from showing it in the wild Palm has decided to implement a lot more into this update than originally planned. I believe the app store is already finished and they're waiting to throw the code in to the bitter end. Just so it doesn't get leaked and someone gets on the market, causing problems between Palm and the homebrew scene early. I think the Facebook app shown on the Palm Pixi is something they want to get into this update, as well as full Yahoo integration into their cloud. Palm will probably take the "Update every couple months" stance rather than throw out minuscule fixes every two weeks, which makes perfect sense. I say it's a matter of time, but I'm definitely excited for the new Luna platform and the new Sprint revision, mainly for the reported speed increases and new potential.
    @Jack87: *!Snap, I didnt know anyone got the app store running...do you plan on restoring then going to 1.2?

@ 2sslow i agree that would be easier, but I kinda like the idea of starting a new build off fresh. Plus my pre is just for fun, no real business stuff, i don't even use the calander part but i could see not wanting to wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    I really did laugh at that the first time you put it up, I even showed the girlfriend who did not think it was nearly as funny...but you may wanna retire that for awhile cause its losing its luster....

18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    im using the leaked 1.2 and it is much more smooth then 1.1 works great no app catalog.. i imported the app catalog app from 1.1 doctor into my pre so i can still get beta catalog apps
    Yeah! Reading your post earlier is what got me thinking about this, Like I said I want to do 1.2 but I dont want to wipe if I dont have too, Been real lucky (or not) I have not had to run the Dr. at all. If I do 1.2 then I'll just have to do it again when the official 1.2 hits, So I guess I'll just wait!!
    @Jack87: *!Snap, I didnt know anyone got the app store running...do you plan on restoring then going to 1.2?

@ 2sslow i agree that would be easier, but I kinda like the idea of starting a new build off fresh. Plus my pre is just for fun, no real business stuff, i don't even use the calander part but i could see not wanting to wipe.
    here is the post 22slow is talking about. the official 1.2 catalog does not work. but what i did is i imported the 1.1 into my 1.2 and it was the last thing 1.2 was lacking from 1.1... if you use mytether the donor version has a fix for palm breaking wifi tethering.
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...p-catalog.html
    Yeah! Reading your post earlier is what got me thinking about this, Like I said I want to do 1.2 but I dont want to wipe if I dont have too, Been real lucky (or not) I have not had to run the Dr. at all. If I do 1.2 then I'll just have to do it again when the official 1.2 hits, So I guess I'll just wait!!
    wipeing clean really is not that big of a deal if you are not too attached to your history. really easy to get your tweaks back and work on new ones.. which is what i been doing and modding the broken stuff its been fun fixing mytether. also have led notifications now so thats cool to. youll enjoy it.. running really smoothly and with preware and webos quick install installing homebrew is not hard at all.

as mrloserpunk said... it was nice to start fresh and do everything right now with all the new discoveries.. pre runs great and reboots a hell of a lot faster considering my installs are a lot more clean
    MatterOfFactJack
  20. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    That date was the expected date that palm was supposed to have 1.2 ready, If the Itunes thing is the real reason for delaying this very important update then palm deserves to fail. Dont get me wrong I love my Pre, but palm need to grow up and quit poking the giant and get to work fixing the little bugs and making this platform as stable as possible.

I believe palm will be taking WebOs to the next level like Android by running it as a netbook Os.

Itune is a piece of crap, There are many other syncing programs that function way better, are more user friendly, and are faster that Palm could easily implement w/o holding back valuable updates.
    Tablet I think is what you meant instead of netbook. I don't think there are any netbooks running Android. Although there are a few tablets.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast