1.    #1  
    This has come up in a BUNCH of discussions lately, and a whole thread by the venerable rwhitby on the subject, but it keeps coming up so frequently I thought a few of the "less experienced" folks could use an ultra plain English explanation here.

There is no such thing as "rooting" a Pre, or any other linux device for that matter. It's a poorly chosen slang term.

Rooting has absolutely NOTHING to do with jailbreaking, hacking, cracking or any of the other things that are frequently associated with making a phone do things it's not supposed to do.

The Pre runs Linux.

Linux is a command line operating system.

Anything that is running Linux with pretty pictures, is really just a big complicated program that runs on top of Linux.

Sometimes, doing really complicated things in Linux requires you to enter commands in the command line, and sometimes you have to enter them as the system administrator.

In Linux, the system administrator is always named "root."

When people talk about rooting, that's all they mean. Entering commands as the system administrator.

Nothing more, nothing less.
    lol, yes very true but lot easier to say, "root or rooting" than "Enter system administrator commands" or heck even typing it I just copied an pasted yours!~!~ lol...
    So what word would you use
    probably "Enter system administrator commands" here i got it.. "E.s.a.c" you need to esac phone to install this patch!~ almost sounds dirty.. lol
    Whether you like it or not, the term rooting has just become a word in the Pre community. Rooting would be described as the process of gaining the ability to use system administrator commands.

What I do agree with though is the association of rooting with hacking, cracking, and jailbreaking to be false. Rooting is a part of the operating system, not a bypass or illegal method of altering the system.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Rooting has absolutely NOTHING to do with jailbreaking, hacking, cracking or any of the other things that are frequently associated with making a phone do things it's not supposed to do.
    I dunno... thats pretty subjective. Would you say tethering is something that the Pre does that it isn't "supposed" to do?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turbooxide View Post
    I dunno... thats pretty subjective. Would you say tethering is something that the Pre does that it isn't "supposed" to do?
    No it isn't subjective cause its not that the pre isn't supposed to do that its that sprint doesnt want it to.
  8. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    System admin isn't always root on linux. That's just what it usually is.

Also, why would you make another thread saying the same thing Rod said, but in less detail. There's no reason to make a new thread especially if you bring nothing new.

Who wants to browse through a forum with tons of threads saying the same thing?
    Last edited by ird; 09/11/2009 at 09:02 AM.
    Lol, you all seem to have some sort of fetish with the subject.

Your post was ambiguous to say the least. I'm actually not even completely sure what exactly you were trying to say. It's odd because you use the term rooting to make a point, which is why you confuse me.

I don't believe there is a standard tech definition for rooting so whatever we use it as, that's what it means.

Not to troll. But I rooted my Pre in June, and will probably root it again at some point. So root root root for the palm palm Pre! Heh.

Some people should lighten up when it comes to rooting. I do value your ability to post your thoughts here though.
    There has been a lot of discussion about rooting and administrator access through creating a new user and "sudo"ing, but I have never seen anyone talk about what the default root password is? Does anyone know?

I know that I can do anything I like from the command line with sudo, but there are times when I would like to login as the administrator. For example, using a GUI front end to ssh (such as MacFusion and FUSE), I would like to be able to mount my Pre as a filesystem and have read/write access everywhere. (Dangerous, yes, but definitely convenient.)
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    if people who read the webos internal instructions, and doesn't know what he/she are doing, shouldn't be messing with there phone to begin with...if u cant follow step by step instructions AND your computer literate, then you shouldn't be messing with command lines and then we wouldn't have to post a thread on what "rooting" means
  12. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    This thread is pointless.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    So what word would you use
    I wouldn't use any single word, I'd use whatever pre-existing term accurately described what you were doing. "Rooting" is used as a vague catch-all to describe a wide variety of things.

Quote Originally Posted by turbooxide View Post
    Thank you for proving my point. Tethering has nothing to do with anything that could reasonably be described as "rooting." It's an app. It 'can' be installed with root access, or it can just be installed through Preware. Yet, people insist on mixing up these issues. It's bad for the community.

Quote Originally Posted by ird View Post
    Also, why would you make another thread saying the same thing Rod said, but in less detail. There's no reason to make a new thread especially if you bring nothing new.
    Sometimes people need repetition to get it, and some people need a "Reader's Digest" version. If enough people put up enough posts on the subject, eventually (I hope) people will figure it out and start using correct language, which will benefit the community in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post
    Your post was ambiguous to say the least....

I don't believe there is a standard tech definition for rooting so whatever we use it as, that's what it means....
    That's my whole point. The entire subject is ambiguous. What makes it a problem, is that while "rooting" doesn't have a fixed definition, "root" does when you're talking about linux, and using such a similar word creates a TON of confusion. I'd even be happy if people ONLY referred to entering commands as the root user as "rooting" but people insist on referring to everything from SSH access, to WebOSQuick install, to tethering, to installing homebrew applications, and even entering non-root commands as "rooting." The term is slowly becoming synonymous with "customizing" which will only lead to more confusion.

This thread is pointless.
    You know what's really pointless? Giving a pointless 4 word bump to a thread that you consider pointless. Normally I'd be annoyed by your post, but since you gave me a bump while I was away from my computer, I'll just say 'thanks.'
  14.    #14  
    System admin isn't always root on linux. That's just what it usually is.
    Anybody who knows enough about linux to set up a system where the actual root user isn't named root, knows enough about linux to not use incorrect and ambiguous terminology around people who are trying to learn.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Anybody who knows enough about linux to set up a system where the actual root user isn't named root, knows enough about linux to not use incorrect and ambiguous terminology around people who are trying to learn.
    Of course renaming the "root" user still doesnt mean the new named user isnt a "root" account

To me though, "Rooting" means to arbitrarily execute a task in an operating system without permission restrictions. Technically speaking, the stock Pre does not allow arbitrary execution of privileged tasks. It was "Rooted" by using a combination of the DevMode secret and Nova commands to set up a way to access Bash bypassing Palm's security through obscurity approach.

When people refer to "Command Line instructions" typically you are using Bash to execute those commands. For example you can run Bash on MacOSX, Windows, BSD, etc... which behave in similar manners. Most versions of Unix share a common set of system libraries and environment as defined by POSIX

Point of clarification, Linux is not a command line operating system. Linux is just a backend process management system much like any other OS Kernel. For example Windows 2008 can be installed in server mode and have a "command line interface" without the Explorer UI. Any input/output with a human is handled via user space programs ( Bash, X, Apache, Luna (WebOS), etc)
    Last edited by zonyl; 09/12/2009 at 08:52 PM.
    Well clearly there is only one way to determine who is right..... Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock!!!!!
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I have to agree with the others. Rooting means doing the steps required to go from the pretty pictures to a root terminal. Since so many of these linux devices with pretty pictures are locked down, it is a valid term.
    I came here in june.Knowing absolutely nothing about linux.And I have never been confused with anyone using the term root.If you look at my posts,I haven't even asked alot of questions about it.I read and read some more.Rooting has already become the catch term here.So I doubt you're not going to ride in on a shiny white horse and change that.As for other people,they should read.I've seen the same people over and over crying about wanting to "root" their phones,and they dont.Then to top it off,when some of these patches are released through quickinstall,these same people complain because they have to wait for the phone to reboot.