Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    I know it's probably absurd to ask, but I don't have wifi and the intructions from hotrock85 on Youtube (which has been working the best -- till now) says that through putty I need to enter in my IP address. With no WiFi connect I'm at a stand still. Am I forced to get the wireless router or is there a way around this??

    Anyone?!?!
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox McCloud View Post
    I know it's probably absurd to ask, but I don't have wifi and the intructions from hotrock85 on Youtube (which has been working the best -- till now) says that through putty I need to enter in my IP address. With no WiFi connect I'm at a stand still. Am I forced to get the wireless router or is there a way around this??

    Anyone?!?!


    Read This:

    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox McCloud View Post
    I know it's probably absurd to ask, but I don't have wifi and the intructions from hotrock85 on Youtube (which has been working the best -- till now) says that through putty I need to enter in my IP address. With no WiFi connect I'm at a stand still. Am I forced to get the wireless router or is there a way around this??

    Anyone?!?!
    No, you don't need wifi to root your phone, a USB cable works just fine.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    No, you don't need wifi to root your phone, a USB cable works just fine.
    Not only does a USB cable work fine, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ $have$ $to$ $do$ $with$ $with$ $a$ $USB$ $cable$ $the$ $first$ $time$. $Once$ $you$'$ve$ $done$ $it$ $with$ $a$ $wired$ $connection$ $you$ $can$ $install$ $SSH$ $and$ $do$ $it$ $over$ $WiFi$ $if$ $you$ $choose$, $but$ $it$'$s$ $in$ $no$ $way$ $necessary$.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Not only does a USB cable work fine, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ have to do with with a USB cable the first time. Once you've done it with a wired connection you can install SSH and do it over WiFi if you choose, but it's in no way necessary.
    Yep... first time must be via USB I believe. When I Accessed Linux in this fashion, the option was given to perform future Access either via EVDO or WiFi... although it warned me that EVDO can be a bit laggy.

    So, EVDO will work as well..
  6.    #6  
    Ok I tried to use the whatsmyip app but when I enter it in I get "Network error: timed out" --- I know EVDO is laggy but must I do??
  7. #7  
    I'm a little confused on what you're asking.

    Your original question was whether or not you needed WiFi for root access to your pre, and the answer is no you do not, and you CAN'T do it over WiFi until you've done it over USB and installed additional software so you can have SSH access.

    Have you already gotten that far, or are you ignoring all the replies you've gotten and trying to skip doing it over USB first? You don't need an IP address to do this over USB.


    Remember that "rooting" your pre is not like jailbreaking an iphone. In fact, as someone else put it, there is no such thing as "rooting" a Pre. Rooting just refers to entering commands as the "root" user, aka administrator.

    How about take a step back, and explain what you've done and what your goal is?
  8. #8  
    Fox, so youre trying to access the pre from Putty on a vista 64 box over Sprint's evdo network rather than local.

    Let's back up and walk through the options.

    1) The absolute best choice, and the most secure is to use the usb cable.

    1a) Download novaterm for windows from here: http://tkgeisel.com/stuff/novaterm-1.zip

    1b) Download the coreflags tool from microsoft here: CorFlags Conversion Tool (CorFlags.exe)

    1c) unzip novaterm into /program files/palm/sdk/bin

    1d) make sure coreflags.exe is in the same folder

    1e) Run the coreflags tool and turn off the 32 bit flag as follows:

    coreflags novaterm.exe /32bit-

    2) Run novaterm. You should be able to access your pre over the usb cable and do anything you want to do.

    ----
    If you still want to use putty via EVDO (warning, it will be horrifically laggy and suck) then you need to learn how to use an IP Finder on the pre.

    Try putting whatismyip.com into the pre's browser. You should get your EVDO IP address displayed.

    If you ran the "next steps" correctly, and if you have the correct IP you should be able to run putty and access the pre.
  9. #9  
    For the life of me I cannot understand why I cannot ssh into the pre. I have done everything in the tutorials but I ALWAYS get a timout error. The only way I get in is using python and novaproxy then putty as a localhost. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by gtaristsoul220 View Post
    For the life of me I cannot understand why I cannot ssh into the pre. I have done everything in the tutorials but I ALWAYS get a timout error. The only way I get in is using python and novaproxy then putty as a localhost. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Get real time support.

    join webos-internals on irc.freenode.net

    The folks who figured all this out will help you in real time.

    ((( Be patient, ask fully worded questions, and be polite.)))

    Rick

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions