1.    #1  
    I'm working on a scheme to allow the installation of packages from the Optware repository of 1300+ command line applications using Preware (or any other advanced homebrew installer, like WebOS Quick Install or PreLoad or the standalone IPKG Installer creator).

It's in very early stages yet, but I've got a couple of alpha test packages (dropbear and openssh) up so far. I'm looking for requests on which Optware packages dedicated expert alpha testers really need immediately to be installable through Preware.

To be able to test these out on a real Pre (since I can't purchase a GSM Pre where I live in Australia), a donation drive has been started at http://forums.precentral.net/palm-ge...needs-pre.html so that I can purchase an off-contract CDMA Pre (which won't work as a phone in Australia, but at least I can use it to test packages).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rod, you just gave me a reason to look at Preware! (I've been using ipkg-opt up to this point.) I've been in study mode lately, but if you need anything tested, you can email me (as I'm not monitoring the IRC these days). I will PM you my email address. -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Honestly, I'm not entirely sure this is a great idea. All of those command line packages that most people won't know what do do with, just be annoyed when they don't work as expected, might be an issue.
    That _is_ an interesting point. I mean, if you're going to be using this software, you can just use ipkg-opt. I can't imagine a situation where someone who isn't familiar with (b)ash is going to need a CLA.

That being said, maybe you could just hide them by default, or put them in a "developers" folder or something obvious that the average individual wouldn't bother with.

Actually, I think I get it now. I could see having a service that calls out to certain programs, so you could have a dependency tree built something like Pre App -> Service -> CLA.

I'll have to think about this. Might be very useful. Then all you have to do is build a GUI around an existing optware-available application. Sorry it took me the whole post to get to this conclusion. I'm not going to edit it tho, it might be an important line of thinking. Hope others understand this.
    So they'd be able to wirelessly shell into their pre and treat it like a linux server - theoretically.

While that sounds cool - it sounds like a headache dealing with users, and possibly some people who really don't know what they're doing opening up their phone to anyone nearby with a wireless connection.

I guess I'm just a wuss when it comes to that stuff. I'm still looking at the phone as fun and just a phone, because I need it as a phone. I got rid of my home phone and it's the only one I use. (At that price, I had to!)

We'll support it in PreLoad - let us know what we need to do.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    We'll support it in PreLoad - let us know what we need to do.
    Nothing more than what you do already.

They are in a completely different Type:Optware section, so installers can choose not to display that type if they wish, or to pop up a user warning if someone goes to install something from that Type.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Prenosicator View Post
    That _is_ an interesting point. I mean, if you're going to be using this software, you can just use ipkg-opt. I can't imagine a situation where someone who isn't familiar with (b)ash is going to need a CLA.

That being said, maybe you could just hide them by default, or put them in a "developers" folder or something obvious that the average individual wouldn't bother with.

Actually, I think I get it now. I could see having a service that calls out to certain programs, so you could have a dependency tree built something like Pre App -> Service -> CLA.

I'll have to think about this. Might be very useful. Then all you have to do is build a GUI around an existing optware-available application. Sorry it took me the whole post to get to this conclusion. I'm not going to edit it tho, it might be an important line of thinking. Hope others understand this.
    They are specifically in a separate Type:Optware section, so installers can treat them specially, and (for example) only display them to users who set a specific preference option or something.

-- Rod
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    So they'd be able to wirelessly shell into their pre and treat it like a linux server - theoretically.

While that sounds cool - it sounds like a headache dealing with users, and possibly some people who really don't know what they're doing opening up their phone to anyone nearby with a wireless connection.
    Access will be by ssh key only, no passwords. That's a high enough barrier to keep things safe.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Nothing more than what you do already.

They are in a completely different Type:Optware section, so installers can choose not to display that type if they wish, or to pop up a user warning if someone goes to install something from that Type.

-- Rod
    The users would lynch me if I did that!

People are hoarding whatever app they can get their hands on, it seems.
    If there was one that could sniff poo and tell you what animal did it, people would want it.

Thanks for all your hard work!
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Honestly, I'm not entirely sure this is a great idea. All of those command line packages that most people won't know what do do with, just be annoyed when they don't work as expected, might be an issue.
    Oh, I won't be enabling all 1300+ at once through this means. Slowly, slowly, making sure we educate the users as we go.

I'm hoping we can find people to put good UI front-ends on some of them, and then just relegate these packages to dependencies of the real apps that users will want.

-- Rod
    Actually, the sniffing poo app sounds like it could be pretty epic.

On a more serious note tho rwhitby, is there planning for some sort of forced dependency checking in Preware? It may be useful even in the very near future. vs just doing the checking in the app and when it boots telling the user they need a different service/etc.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Prenosicator View Post
    Actually, the sniffing poo app sounds like it could be pretty epic.

On a more serious note tho rwhitby, is there planning for some sort of forced dependency checking in Preware? It may be useful even in the very near future. vs just doing the checking in the app and when it boots telling the user they need a different service/etc.
    Yes, that's already in ipkg the underlying tool (so hard dependencies will always be enforced by the underlying command line tool), and we're in the process of getting Preware to understand those so it can explain the situation to the user and run the postinst scripts in the right order, and hold all the resets of luna or java right to the end (so the user can be warned that their cellular service is going to be restarted).

All of this is a requirement for us getting to 1.0.0 ...

-- Rod
  13. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Rod, why are you so involved in the Pre homebrew scene if you can't even use one (as a phone at least) in your country?

Or is the Pre coming to the down under in the near future?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ird View Post
    Rod, why are you so involved in the Pre homebrew scene if you can't even use one (as a phone at least) in your country?

Or is the Pre coming to the down under in the near future?
    I currently use a GSM Treo 650, and would like the Pre to be a suitably functional replacement by the time the GSM version is released.

-- Rod
    Currently, the dependency is "terminal" :-) No terminal app, no optware.

and Rod, package NANO please. :-)
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    Rod, package NANO please. :-)
    Done.

-- Rod