Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    I have been trying to glean what I should do to prep my Pre for the WebOS upgrade. I hit the "no room for more apps" error, so I uninstalled all my homebrew apps except snippetss, drpodder and music (remix).

So, shouls I:
    1. Reinstall apps with preload or quickinstall to get around the app limit?
    2. Remove all the tweaks I put in from webos install (extra launcher pages, changed boot screens, etc)?
    3. Uninstall all homebrews and tweaks and wait until after the upgrade to put it back together?

Thanks in advance! I have used all the installers except preware (I just don't use my computer as much to play since I got my Pre! I can do most things well enough from the Pre. I hope to install it soon.) I get confused now about the differences btw the programs. Quickinstall has tweaks and I think you have to install the file mgr program that way. More than one app installs in a way to avoid the Palm app limit. One has access to ringtones and wallpapers. A couple show which apps need updating.

Please clarify!
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    u dont need to uninstall homebrew apps.. just the tweaks u got with quick install. or anything u had to root ur pre to get.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruth09 View Post
    u dont need to uninstall homebrew apps.. just the tweaks u got with quick install. or anything u had to root ur pre to get.
    Bingo.. and just use preware to install homebrew to bypass the too many apps issue. Only tweaks and patches need to be removed prior to the update.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Question, If I installed the Add/Delete launcher pages app, and created new pages. Do I have to remove the new pages and then uninstall the tweak? Or are the new pages fine to have, just the tweak itself needs to be removed?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    yes good question on the additional pages i have 4 pages right now but i removed the tweak. Wondering if that will cause an issue??
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecode View Post
    Bingo.. and just use preware to install homebrew to bypass the too many apps issue. Only tweaks and patches need to be removed prior to the update.
    How does Preware get around this limitation? As far as I know, it installs the applications to the same volume the other installers do. Please explain!
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    How does Preware get around this limitation? As far as I know, it installs the applications to the same volume the other installers do. Please explain!
    Preware uses a package management system to install apps. It bypases the Palm limit.

PreLoad uses that same package management system, and also the regular Palm installation method so you have a choice. When you go to the download page you can Download, or Download Rooted. We consider anything that bypasses the WebOS Framework rooting.

I don't install tweaks or patches myself or install any apps using the package manager, even though it's supported in my app. The things that tweaks and patches do will come from developers, in time.

As for the limit, I don't see how people hit their app limit when they have 3 installers on hand at all times. Unless it's an app that keeps records, why not take the few seconds it takes to:
    1. open PreLoad (or PreWare or FileCoaster)
    2. reinstall the app when you want it
    3. delete it again
    ?
    Your phone will be faster and you'll never have this problem.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds