Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Not sure how useful this will be for others at its current stage, but I got vpnc working on my Pre today to connect to my campus VPN. As usual, I hold no responsibility for your phone blowing up or your wife leaving you. Also this might not work for everyone since I haven't tested it beyond the single VPN I needed access to.

Steps:
    1) Root your Pre (get to a command line and type "sudo -i")
    2) Make your filesystem writable "rootfs_open -t"
    3) Enter "ipkg -force-depends install http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/unstable/vpnc_0.5.1-2_arm.ipk"
    4) Edit the vpnc config file "vi /opt/etc/vpnc/default.conf"
    - Filling in your VPN info should be self-explanatory
    5) Type "vpnc" to start and "vpnc-disconnect" to end
    - You can use "ifconfig -a" to verify the connection worked, you'll see a TUN device under ppp0 when vpnc is doing its thing.

I'll probably whip up a simplistic GUI for this as soon as I can figure out how to pass shell commands; Pregame's Prelease service sounds promising.

Edit: Haha this won't get anyone very far unless they've memorized a hell of a lot of IP addresses.
    As root, type "vi /etc/network/interfaces"
    Scroll all the way down and add the following to the very end of the file:
    # VPNC Tunnel
    auto tun0
    iface tun0 inet dhcp

Once the above steps are all complete, I suggest installing the Terminal app and the Terminal service from either Preware or WebOS Quick Install. From then on, all you have to do to connect to your VPN is open the Terminal app and type "vpnc" to connect and "vpnc-disconnect" to disconnect when you're done.
    Last edited by Leathal; 09/08/2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot
  2.    #2  
    Sorry for bumping my own thread, but is there any interest in an app to automate all this? I slammed together a little something for my own purposes (turns off data, turns on wifi and connects to AP, starts vpnc), but the VPN info is all hardcoded and I think I'm about done since that's all I have a need for.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Yes. Absolutely. I'd be glad to assist.
    You don't mention.. have you been able to get it to work without WiFi? That's where I'm suck
    Does it work over EVDO? That's what I would need it for.

Does this work with all models of the Cisco VPN concentrators? It would be great to VPN into my work and get to the web portal/intranet site through the Pre's web browser.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  6.    #6  
    Yep it works over EVDO and wifi, depending on how your VPN is set up for access.

Vpnc works with most Cisco protocols except one which is slipping my mind right now. Check the vpnc project page for more details.

smstnitc: Are you getting any error messages about routes when running the vpnc command? There's a workaround involving commenting out a line in vpnc-script that I'll look up again to post if it's spitting out a warning about routes when you start the program.
    Nice! I've gotta try this but have to find a VPN enabled IOS for my old routers first.
    Any idea what to do about
    Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for vpnc: kernel-module-tun
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    Any idea what to do about
    Hmm that usually happens if you don't use the force-depends option when installing the vpnc ipk. Are you sure you used "ipkg -force-depends install http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/unstable/vpnc_0.5.1-2_arm.ipk" to install?
    I think it can be ignored. "The Palm Pre's Linux OS is compiled with the /dev/tun driver built in, so you can ignore the module dependency warning. There is a project to create a GUI for the pre"

OpenVPN for Palm Pre - WebOS Internals

thanks
  11.    #11  
    Yes, that's what -force-depends does; changes dependency errors into warnings, since we know the Pre has a tun driver. Try to run that full command again and make sure you include the -force-depends option.
    openvpn is the future.
  13.    #13  
    Except for the fact that it can't connect to most legacy Cisco VPNs, right?
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    So... this question has a bit of a limited audience, but I figure it makes some sense to drop it here in case someone else comes along on the same quest.

Ok - I work for IBM, and was just accepted into iNotes, a test program set up to allow iPhone users to access their internal Lotus Notes email on their iPhones. I've almost got a solution working for connecting to iNotes via the Pre. The important piece is creating a VPN connection. Here's what I've gotten thus far:

Install vpnc on the Pre using the directions here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...o-classic.html

Download the "US Profile" file from TAP. (IBMers, ask me for a url.)

Opening up the US Profile file, find the IPSec lines.

Edit the vpnc conf file on the pre using the info from the US Profile (filling in my own username and password from ATT Dialer:
    vi /opt/etc/vpnc/default.conf
    IPSec gateway somegateway.ibm.com
    IPSec ID some_userid
    IPSec secret xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Xauth username xxxx.xxXXXXX
    Xauth password XXXXXXXX

Now running vpnc from the command line on the Pre gets me oh-so-close:
    root@castle:/tmp/vpn/vpnclient# vpnc --debug 2

vpnc version 0.5.1

S1 init_sockaddr

S2 make_socket

S3 setup_tunnel

using interface tun0

S4 do_phase1

S4.1 create_nonce

S4.2 dh setup

S4.3 AM packet_1

S4.4 AM_packet2

got ike lifetime attributes: 2147483 seconds
    IKE SA selected psk+xauth-3des-sha1
    peer is NAT-T capable (draft-00)
    peer is NAT-T capable (draft-02)\n
    peer is DPD capable (RFC3706)
    peer is using type 130 (ISAKMP_PAYLOAD_NAT_D_OLD) for NAT-Discovery payloads
    vpnc: hash comparison failed: (ISAKMP_N_AUTHENTICATION_FAILED)(24)
    check group password!

Check group password - looks like the password is wrong, but it definitely matches what's in the iPhone config file. I tried using IPSec obfuscated secret, but that needs a hex string, and we don't have that.

Anyone have any tips? Had success any other way? It looks like this is really close to working, but I don't understand what's broken.
    Last edited by tcurtin; 11/13/2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Adding title
    I just have to bump it Did you improve your method, for instance with a simple GUI? I'm no IT-guy

I will try to use it with the network of my university.
    I dunno. Seems like something went wrong. I installed vpnc and it even shows up in the device manager of WOSQI. Nevertheless, every time I type "vpnc" it says "vpnc: not found". The config.inf exists as well, it opens but I'm afraid I don't know how to safe it after editing it...

Jesus, it can't be possible that there's just not one single VPN-client for webOS that works as easy as every other program.
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Jesus, it can't be possible that there's just not one single VPN-client for webOS that works as easy as every other program.
    I'm very interested in this topic too. My work email is Lotus Notes. VPN is Cisco IPSEC. I can't get a Pre (or any WebOS phone) until I can make the connect to my work email.
    Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 755p -> BB Storm
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    If someone can wrap this into a simple installer and GUI, that would be great..
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    So... this question has a bit of a limited audience, but I figure it makes some sense to drop it here in case someone else comes along on the same quest.

Ok - I work for IBM, and was just accepted into iNotes, a test program set up to allow iPhone users to access their internal Lotus Notes email on their iPhones. I've almost got a solution working for connecting to iNotes via the Pre. The important piece is creating a VPN connection. Here's what I've gotten thus far:

Install vpnc on the Pre using the directions here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...o-classic.html

Download the "US Profile" file from TAP. (IBMers, ask me for a url.)

Opening up the US Profile file, find the IPSec lines.

Edit the vpnc conf file on the pre using the info from the US Profile (filling in my own username and password from ATT Dialer:
    vi /opt/etc/vpnc/default.conf
    IPSec gateway somegateway.ibm.com
    IPSec ID some_userid
    IPSec secret xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Xauth username xxxx.xxXXXXX
    Xauth password XXXXXXXX

Now running vpnc from the command line on the Pre gets me oh-so-close:
    root@castle:/tmp/vpn/vpnclient# vpnc --debug 2

vpnc version 0.5.1

S1 init_sockaddr

S2 make_socket

S3 setup_tunnel

using interface tun0

S4 do_phase1

S4.1 create_nonce

S4.2 dh setup

S4.3 AM packet_1

S4.4 AM_packet2

got ike lifetime attributes: 2147483 seconds
    IKE SA selected psk+xauth-3des-sha1
    peer is NAT-T capable (draft-00)
    peer is NAT-T capable (draft-02)\n
    peer is DPD capable (RFC3706)
    vpnc: hash comparison failed: (ISAKMP_N_AUTHENTICATION_FAILED)(24)
    check group password!

Check group password - looks like the password is wrong, but it definitely matches what's in the iPhone config file. I tried using IPSec obfuscated secret, but that needs a hex string, and we don't have that.

Anyone have any tips? Had success any other way? It looks like this is really close to working, but I don't understand what's broken.
    I was looking at this as well, and apparently getting the group password is the tricky part. Check out this link... CiscoVpn < Main < TWiki

I'm using the Cisco VPN as opposed to the AT&T dialer though. I assume getting the group pwd is still the same issue.

Let me know how it goes!
    Hmm. I got it installed and configured but get the same error you do. Some issue with the group password, although I checked and double checked it. Maybe there's some other issue with the IBM VPN?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast