Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I would love to access my network behind the cisco VPN. But willing to do it in a easy way - read - using an application :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
    I would love to access my network behind the cisco VPN. But willing to do it in a easy way - read - using an application :-)
    I think you can get Classic and then run the Cisco VPN client which should be easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    I think you can get Classic and then run the Cisco VPN client which should be easy.
    Great, going into a house through a tunnel beginning five miles away is not the best thing to do. Additionally, Classic is not available for at least germany and I think this is the case for whole europe.

What he/we want is a standalone App.
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Great, going into a house through a tunnel beginning five miles away is not the best thing to do. Additionally, Classic is not available for at least germany and I think this is the case for whole europe.

What he/we want is a standalone App.
    I didn't say it was the best thing, but since an app doesn't exist you have a couple of options. Either try to get Classic and run the VPN from it, or try vpnc. I too would like a simple VPN app that works with my company, but I haven't found one. If vpnc works, I wouldn't think it would be hard to create a gui for it, and packaging it would be easy.
    Well, there's a GUI in the works vor OpenVPN but frankly, I don't know how I should install either of it.
    OpenVPN for Palm Pre - WebOS Internals
    Does the browser connect to local IIS websites when connected to the VPN? I've been unable to access any IIS websites at my work when connected to their Wifi router and am wanting to get around this. Anyone tried?
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Does the browser connect to local IIS websites when connected to the VPN? I've been unable to access any IIS websites at my work when connected to their Wifi router and am wanting to get around this. Anyone tried?
    Thanks!
    Local as in on your own computer? If you are using the loopback IP address it should be OK, I would think. If you are using an actual IP address you could have problems because it's going through the tunnel. Depends on the configuration, though. In some configs you can have only the destinations/IP addresses within a range go through the tunnel. I'm no expert on VPNs, but it should be easy to determine but disconnecting the VPN and seeing if it magically starts working again.

edit: OK - reread your post, and I see what you mean. That when connected you are not seeing the IIS sites within the domain you are connected to. So, I'm guessing that there is something misconfigured with the VPN then. In the first post there was some edits to the network files - did you do those?
    Last edited by bill.millett; 12/01/2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: oops
    Local as in on your own computer? If you are using the loopback IP address it should be OK, I would think. If you are using an actual IP address you could have problems because it's going through the tunnel. Depends on the configuration, though. In some configs you can have only the destinations/IP addresses within a range go through the tunnel. I'm no expert on VPNs, but it should be easy to determine but disconnecting the VPN and seeing if it magically starts working again.

edit: OK - reread your post, and I see what you mean. That when connected you are not seeing the IIS sites within the domain you are connected to. So, I'm guessing that there is something misconfigured with the VPN then. In the first post there was some edits to the network files - did you do those?
    No, I haven't actually even tried this VPN out yet. I was merely inquiring if those who had tried had managed to open IIS websites in the browser on the network their VPN is connected to. I'm not talking about one locally on a computer, I'm talking about one locally on a server on the VPN network and using its DNS address, ie: http://Prod.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    To everyone talking about OpenVPN:

OpenVPN is an SSL based vpn tunnel. What this vpn client thread is about is an IPSEC vpn client that works with cisco ipsec vpn terminating equipment. OpenVPN will not work with IPSEC vpns
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Hmm. I got it installed and configured but get the same error you do. Some issue with the group password, although I checked and double checked it. Maybe there's some other issue with the IBM VPN?
    Its certainly possible that there's something else going on here. So far, no more luck for me I'm afraid, although I haven't put much effort into it since my earlier post.

I seem to remember hearing a while ago that there was "something different" about the IBM VPN that necessitates the use of the ATT Global Dialer vs some other off-the-shelf app. At the same time though, I can't imagine Apple would set up their iPhones with some special hook just for IBM, so there must be a way...

Good to hear I'm not the only one struggling...
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    Its certainly possible that there's something else going on here. So far, no more luck for me I'm afraid, although I haven't put much effort into it since my earlier post.

I seem to remember hearing a while ago that there was "something different" about the IBM VPN that necessitates the use of the ATT Global Dialer vs some other off-the-shelf app. At the same time though, I can't imagine Apple would set up their iPhones with some special hook just for IBM, so there must be a way...
    Well I've used the AT&T dialer as well as the Cisco VPN client (for the Ottawa and Toronto labs). There are clientless VPN solutions (for Linux, Mac, iPhones) but that's still beta. Although if you got into the iNotes pilot, then you should be able to get in to that one as well. Of course, they don't explicitly support the Pre either.

They do provide Cisco or VPN clients for most supported platforms. Wish I could figure out what the missing pieces are.

Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    Good to hear I'm not the only one struggling...
    Misery loves company!
    tcurtin, I'm an IBMer as well and would like to be able to use it too, just so you know you're not the only one.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    could this work with some simple vpn, say L2TP? thanks...
    I tried openvpn and most every other vpn app I could find for linux but had problems until I came across the Cisco linux app. It works fine on my linux box but after *most any* os update I have to recompile... not a problem, I wrote scripts/launcher so I just click the button after an update and I am in business. Now, this a PC running linux... why can't I do the same with the Palm?

palm cisco vpn > cisco concentrator (or pix)
    This worked great for me. Thanks for posting.

Here is a link for a cisco vpnclient password decoder: (www)unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/bin/cisco-decode

For those of you having issues with IPSec ID it should be what the pcf file refers to as GroupName. Hope this helps everyone.

Make sure you have password codes set on your phone!
    ok, slightly off topic, but I managed to get vpnc to connect fine to IBM from my Nokia N810, so there should be no reason why it can't work from a Pre.

I'm using CommonTime mNotes for Calendar and LotusNotes, but would still like to get VPN working. SameTime on the Pre would be cool.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Really? Email me from your ibm account? Tcurtin@us - I'd love to get this working, and I think it may just be that I have to passwords set up incorrectly...
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    Sorry for bumping my own thread, but is there any interest in an app to automate all this? I slammed together a little something for my own purposes (turns off data, turns on wifi and connects to AP, starts vpnc), but the VPN info is all hardcoded and I think I'm about done since that's all I have a need for.
    Hi Leathal,

any plans to make that app available?

I made a small watchdog script to start the connection from the terminal and reconnects when the von connection is lost. Do your app has that function too? If not I would wrap up some expatiation and publish the scrip here.

HaPe
    Quote Originally Posted by gsahnd View Post
    tcurtin, I'm an IBMer as well and would like to be able to use it too, just so you know you're not the only one.
    I'm an ex-IBMer. Was with themfor 2 1/2 years.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    I've been looking for some way to access our company VPN with the Pre so that I can use an RDC or VNC program then. just haven't found a way to do this on the Pre. If you guys have something, that'd be great.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast