Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My 11 year old son has diabetes and I'm desperate for a simple BS / insulin calculator.

It's a very simple calculation. I have it in EXCEL.

If you build it, you're more then welcome to take claim of it.

I'll be more then happy to give you all the details.

The Apple App store has about five or six of these but none yet for the Pre

Hope you're interested,
    Patrick
    patrick.graham@btlnews.com
    Sure I would be interested in putting one together.
    If your interested shoot me a pm with the calculations and any other possible ideas you would like to implement into the app that could help daily activities.

Thanks
    Check out GetMeVino!
    please note that any kind of insulin sliding scales are going to be dependent on the person...it would be better to make a a modifiable table so each individual can adjust the calculations based on their sliding scale.
    Oh my goodness, I cannot tell you how excited I would be if someone were to make a nice, workable, blood glucose log for the pre for insulin pump users. I've been looking for some type of online log and was just going to set up a google doc to enter in my info, but an app for the pre would be great! My husband just told me that there was some interest here, so wanted to jump on board. (this is different from the insulin calculator previously mentioned, but maybe someone would be interested in working on this as well). Info that would be needed is: date, time of day, blood sugar, # carbs (carbohydrates), food description, and exercise (duration/intensity). It would be nice if it linked to a spreadsheet in google docs to compile data and print out.
    I was interested in putting together more then just a few calculations, and a log to track daily levels is a great idea

Conradae are the blood sugar, # carbs, excercise etc do are those numbers then calculated to make a more informative result? Or just a log that you can quickly glance at reference. I am not diabetic and dont know many that are, info on how and why you do things would be great to know to put something together.
    Check out GetMeVino!
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Very good cause.

Got my support.. .
    Mt3ck, it would just be a log to look at or be able to track blood sugars along with other variables such as food, exercise, insulin dose, etc. I probably know as much about programming as you do about diabetes, so I'm not exactly sure what to expect from the app. Basically there are a lot of things that can have different effects on blood sugars, so the goal is to have a way to look at trends with as much information as possible and ultimately be able to view them in a spreadsheet and print out the records. I've been scribbling all the info on little scraps of paper which is very hard for docs to interpret. My latest attempt is that I have a googledoc spreadsheet with columns across the top reading "date/time/blood sugar/carbs/insulin dose/food description/exercise/stress" and was going to try to access it from my phone to enter info when not around a computer, which isn't very user friendly. It would be nice to open the ap, maybe have the time and date autofill (with the ability to change to enter previous data) and immediately enter a blood sugar, then have the option to fill in other categories. My brother is pretty techy and also diabetic, so I'll see if he has anything to add that might be helpful. Thanks again!
  8.    #8  
    Hello All.

I've got to get better at checking back after I post to see who is asking questions and such. Sorry.

The calculator and log would be perfect as a single app.

BUT, the calculator is specifically designed for Type 1 diabetics who are not on the pump (for those not in the know - the pump does this calculation for you and injects the necessary amounts of insulin).

Here's the breakdown:
    Most Type 1's are given a range or target to keep their blood sugar - for my son, it's 100 to 150. When you take your blood sugar with a drop of blood, it will tell you where you are on that scale.

You take your BS (blood sugar) about four times a day, mostly before meals. More if you're exercising or eating a carb snack.

If your BS comes back at say 300, then you're 150 above where you should be and you need to CORRECT. If you know you're going to eat a chicken sandwich, the two slices of bread have 40 carbs so you have to COMPENSATE for that.

Everything is about Correcting and Compensating.

Your doctor will give your ratios to live by: i.e. - 10:1 for COMPENSATE, 40:1 to CORRECT. This is how you know how much insulin to inject.

So with a little simple math, you come up with a total of 8.38 Units of insulin to inject (4.38 Units to CORRECT and 4 Units to COMPENSATE)

Sheldon (don't know his user name) has stepped up and taking a crack at it. As soon as he says it's ok, I'm sure you'll see it on the Homebrew page. I can't wait to see the first version.
    I am unsure if this would help you but there is a nice PalmOS program you could get.
    The specific program you would need is:
    CalorieKing - Diet & Weight Loss Software for Palm OS Diabetes Log for Palm OS

You would of course have to purchase Classic to run it on the Pre but it works.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  10.    #10  
    Regarding CalorieKing - I HAVE IT! We live by it. And, I have it for my PalmOS devise. All that being said, it does not have the calculator in it just the listing of how many carbs are in this or that. It's a great resource in printed form but the PalmOS version is greatly lacking.

Maybe some industrious programmer will work with them as well. It would make an amazing tie in resource.

Thanks though.
    What would be really awesome is the log book aspect of it. not necessarily the calculator part. I desperately need a place to log my blood sugars and the carb intake!! Thanks for looking into this and putting in effort. It would benefit so many of us diabetics (That cannot stand to write them down and do not want to carry anymore diabetes stuff than we have to )
    Quote Originally Posted by PF Graham View Post
    Regarding CalorieKing - I HAVE IT! We live by it. And, I have it for my PalmOS devise. All that being said, it does not have the calculator in it just the listing of how many carbs are in this or that. It's a great resource in printed form but the PalmOS version is greatly lacking.

Maybe some industrious programmer will work with them as well. It would make an amazing tie in resource.

Thanks though.
    You do know that my link is not Calorie King? It is a separate program for diabetes that works along side CK if you want it to. Other than that I have not used it much beyond adding my BGL.

FEATURES
    * Easily record BGL, food, exercise, notes and meds with easy fingertip entry.
    * Warnings and color-coded entries show you when your blood glucose levels are outside your target range.
    * Connects to the CalorieKing.com Handheld Diet Diary to download your recorded meal information using its 50,000+ food database.
    * Built-in diabetes library.
    * Calculates required insulin for a particular BGL or carbohydrate intake.
    * Advanced filtering makes reviewing data and finding trends simple.
    * Categorize entries according to meal times and mood.
    Last edited by Paladin; 09/11/2009 at 12:40 PM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    would love this app. as i was just diagnosed a year ago with type 1.

thought about doing this myself but don't have time to get into programming for the pre, and figured it wouldnt be long before someone else did it.

log showing averages and stuff would be nice.. as i'm not the best at keeping track of it ever.. but would if it was as simple as pulling up an app on my phone.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I'm working on the DietTrac program. It has a calculator, log, weight tracking and food database search(work in progress). I could lend a hand if mt3ck or anyone else is interested.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Ok, I have submitted a version to the Homebrew catalog under the name DiabeTrac Let me know what you all think. Special thanks to PF Graham for the initial testing.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Looks great from the screen shots. I'll get the wife to check it out and give feedback as she's a type 1 with a pump. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Update to 0.0.5 is posted in the homebrew area. Fixed a bug where in some cases if a glucose was entered that was below the low glucose range, a negative number for units to correct would appear. Thanks to PF Graham for the find!
    Calendar integration would be phenomenal. I am grateful to see development on Diabetic tools for WebOs.

One request. It would be nice to send a well-formatted blood sugar log through email. This would allow us to send our doctors weekly/monthly pdf's or excel docs. html format might be more reasonable. I'm not brave enough to try app development. Thank you.

ps I'm trying DiabeTrac
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    What information would you like to see exported to a calendar?
    I've been living with Type 1 Diabetes since I was 14, thank you very much for creating this application!
    Jimmie Geddes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast