Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    It would be a neat app to show sexual offenders based on your gps location. I am not sure how difficult this would be but it might be something everyone would enjoy and get creeped out about.

    Jon
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamfrontosa View Post
    .....it might be something everyone would enjoy and get creeped out about.
    I, being an adult male currently without children don't feel any need for that app, but i would probably download it, and then be creeped out by it, just as the op suggests.


    reconsidering, at this point, maybe I would be happier not knowing.
    There are four lights.
  3. gage006's Avatar
    Posts
    543 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    #3  
    Wow, this is one app that DOESN'T need to be made. People who are forced to register on the list get harassed enough. Especially the ones who really don't deserve to be on there (not everyone registered on that list is a child raping monster).
  4. zna03's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Wow, this is one app that DOESN'T need to be made. People who are forced to register on the list get harassed enough. Especially the ones who really don't deserve to be on there (not everyone registered on that list is a child raping monster).
    Agreed. BUT there are listings for a reason and people have a right to know who is and isn't. I do think there should be an explination because there is a fine line between pissing on the side of the road and raping someone.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Wow, this is one app that DOESN'T need to be made. People who are forced to register on the list get harassed enough. Especially the ones who really don't deserve to be on there (not everyone registered on that list is a child raping monster).
    I overly agree with you. You can get on this list by peeing in a park or a child walking by and seeing you walking in you house naked.

    For every 1 person that should be on the list, there's 99 that shouldn't.
    The news makes sex offenders out to be horrible, they're usually not.

    No thanks on this app, it only encourages the stereotype. Funny how stereotypes are only okay when its about this.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    For every 1 person that should be on the list, there's 99 that shouldn't.
    The news makes sex offenders out to be horrible, they're usually not.
    Not really interested in an app like this myself, but I think you're being overly generous. I agree that there are plenty of ways that you can get on the list without being a "child-raping monster" but at the same time, I'd say you have the numbers backwards (maybe not 99-1, but 70-30 or something like that would be my guess). Anyway this thread is quickly going to "Off-Topic Chat" territory.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Not really interested in an app like this myself, but I think you're being overly generous. I agree that there are plenty of ways that you can get on the list without being a "child-raping monster" but at the same time, I'd say you have the numbers backwards (maybe not 99-1, but 70-30 or something like that would be my guess). Anyway this thread is quickly going to "Off-Topic Chat" territory.
    I study psychology as my major and I've done projects related to this and I can tell you.. Its worse than you think. I stronly agree that if you touched someone....anyone...without their consent you should be on it. Whether its a 50 year old or a 12 year old. But the list has become more than a joke. Its almost funny in a real pathetic way. And therefore I think it would be nothing but a negative to have. Nothing is worse than encouraging a stereotype.
  8. #8  
    You can go to so many sites for that. What is the need to track by gps? So that you can prevent possible attacks (in the 10 seconds you will be at a particular point) in that time frame? Then we would want to know by gps how many murders are committed in our area, how many people are registered and or concealed gun owners, drunk driving records, narcotic arrests, people that have gone to psychologists, car accidents on our area, members of militia groups etc. and the list goes on....
    S
    Last edited by styngray; 09/08/2009 at 02:29 PM.
  9. #9  
    Are sex offenders (or anyone for that matter) tracked by gps in the US? And the info is publically available? Wow...
    /EU/GR/
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mafia View Post
    Are sex offenders (or anyone for that matter) tracked by gps in the US? And the info is publically available? Wow...
    No, but they have to register where they live.
  11. #11  
    Ok, I agree with you all that not every conviction is the same. If you look at familywatchdog.us, it does differentiate child molesters from rapists from other. I think this would be a good classification to use for a quick app by loication. For example, I'm shopping for a new home, but I sure as hell won't be buying one next to a convicted child ******. The data is in the registries.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by zx3junglist View Post
    Ok, I agree with you all that not every conviction is the same. If you look at familywatchdog.us, it does differentiate child molesters from rapists from other. I think this would be a good classification to use for a quick app by loication. For example, I'm shopping for a new home, but I sure as hell won't be buying one next to a convicted child ******. The data is in the registries.
    That's not the point, the data is in the registries but it's still generally vague and most people don't look at the data. They just look to see who is on the list. Moreover, the app wouldn't have room for an "explanation area" and therefore would lead too more stereotyping.

    It's the equivalent of having a "Drug Dealer Offenders list" and then having someone put on it because they stole Tylenol from a store.
  13. #13  
    Lmao, there's nothing wrong with this app.

    If you get a speeding ticket, whether or not you are going 5 over or 45 over... its a ticket, and you have the pay the ticket.

    Only difference here is, it is the communities RIGHT to know how is on the sex offender list, that is the point of them having to register.

    This app should be made.
  14. #14  
    Yeah, some of the doe eyed innocence on these posts is a little disturbing. There ain't nothing wrong with being aware, and as far as them being "harassed", wow is all I can say to that...
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    That's not the point, the data is in the registries but it's still generally vague and most people don't look at the data. They just look to see who is on the list. Moreover, the app wouldn't have room for an "explanation area" and therefore would lead too more stereotyping.

    It's the equivalent of having a "Drug Dealer Offenders list" and then having someone put on it because they stole Tylenol from a store.
    That's bogus. Just because you're imagining a poor implementation doesn't mean that it couldn't be done gracefully. Example: from the main screen, you decided that you wanted to search for the home or workplace of a person with a rape conviction within 5 miles of Main st. Anytown, USA.

    I think that's viable and useful. The registry was created for a reason. I'm not saying anyone needs to pay the person a visit, but I may not take my kids to a store that hires child molesters, for example.

    -ZX
  16. #16  
    The only thing I have to say to the three above me, beyond to stop watching [or at least stop taking seriously] Action News a 5 with your host some girl in a bikini while explosions are going off in the background and it's constant BREAKING NEWS!, is to actually do a little research [actual research] before just assuming that just because a list may a good *intent*, it doesn't mean it works right.

    I always thought we, as a society, wanted to stop stereotypes- not make them horribly worse with lists.

    There's no need for an app like this, if you are that concerned, there are too many websites willing to give you such information.
  17. #17  
    there is also facebook mobile, and still there is a demand for facebook apps.
    there is also twitter.com, but people want twitter apps.

    it continue's for such a long list.

    if you don't want it, don't download it... but many people do.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dhMassacre View Post
    there is also facebook mobile, and still there is a demand for facebook apps.
    there is also twitter.com, but people want twitter apps.

    it continue's for such a long list.

    if you don't want it, don't download it... but many people do.
    And what would this update? Once a year... because the list doesn't grow that fast.

    Likelihood is, if you go and check it now... it's gonna be 99% the same next year.
    You can't say the same for Facebook and twitter. They change by the second.
  19. #19  
    This whole sex offender list thing is ridiculous. And this is coming from someone with two kids, mind you.
    The problem lies in the justice system. If punishment and aftercare were done right on these people we wouldn't need a stigmatizing list. But I guess if the system sends offenders that are clearly not 'cured' back on the streets then I guess we do.

    I do feel sorry for those who are on this list for walking around naked in their house...
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  20. #20  
    The issue is if there is a great need for such an app. The answer is no. That is not to say that people who need to know this information cannot get it on the web by going to police sites or family sites that have links. One does not need to know the up to the second information by gps of sex offenders so one can safely go to the grocery store or visit starbucks in safety just in case there is another sex offender from when they left home to where they want to go to. The sex offender list barely changes annually. If there is an app that is potentially more beneficial for public safety, it should be of all the registered gun owners, drunk drivers, suspected or convicted drug dealers, any criminals who have served their sentence, gang activity, MISSING KIDS ALERTS etc. the gps lock on sex offenders is laughable at best.
    S
    Last edited by styngray; 09/08/2009 at 11:30 PM. Reason: added some item
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions