Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    ***if this most is redundant, admin please remove***

**linux access required**

*NOT NEEDED IN WEBOS 1.2*

ok i searched around and i couldnt find a post explaining how to do this. i was also shocked that it wasnt included in the tweaks menu of webos quick install. i dont remember where i found this, because as i said before i cant find the original post.

all this does is enable the user to drag the status bar menus down, (where you tap to turn wifi on, or where you tap to get to app specific preferences).

Step one:

Code:
    root@castle:/# mount -o remount,rw /
    root@castle:/# vi /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assista
    nt.jsjsjs
    Step two:

without clicking anywhere type in 74 and push enter.

it should take you to line 74 which should look like this providing you havent modded your pre at all. if you have, just look around until you find these two lines.:

Code:
    Mojo.Event.listen($('appmenu'),'mojo-tap', this.appMenuHandleTap.bindAsEventListener(this));
    Mojo.Event.listen($('devicemenu'),'mojo-tap', this.deviceMenuHandleTap.bindAsEventListener(this));
    Step three:

change this:

Code:
    Mojo.Event.listen($('appmenu'),'mojo-tap', this.appMenuHandleTap.bindAsEventListener(this));
    Mojo.Event.listen($('devicemenu'),'mojo-tap', this.deviceMenuHandleTap.bindAsEventListener(this));
    to this:

Code:
    Mojo.Event.listen($('appmenu'),'mojo-drag-start', this.appMenuHandleTap.bindAsEventListener(this));
    Mojo.Event.listen($('devicemenu'),'mojo-drag-start', this.deviceMenuHandleTap.bindAsEventListener(this));
    Step four:

SAVE YOUR CHANGES:

once you have made the afore mentioned changes type hit escape and type in :wq

Step five:

return your phone to read-only mode and restart the interface:

Code:
    root@castle:/# mount -o remount,ro /
    root@castle:/# initctl stop LunaSysMgr && initctl start LunaSysMgr
    Thats it!

now you can drag your finger down across the status bar and the connection menu or app menu will slide down ever so nicely. no more need to peck at the corners of your screen hoping to engage the menu (but you still can if you want).

again, i am not claiming any ownership of this mod, im just making it available and hopefully it can be implemented into webos quick install.
    Last edited by seekis; 09/12/2009 at 04:46 AM.
    WebOS QuickInstall WORTHY Tweak for sure
    +1 for sure
    Yeah but the line numbers were wrong for me....
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Hey OP alot of people have tweaks already implement so try adding more of the code whats around what needs to be change than line numbers..
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    This now is enabled in 1.2......
    @awrnsmn could you post a video? Thx.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    @awrnsmn could you post a video? Thx.
    un_designer I wish I could, but I don't have that capability here. I does work though. All you have to do in 1.2 is swipe down and it will drag down the menus of wifi, battery, bluetooth...exc. I will try to get a video posted later on this afternoon for you.
    I don't get how this tweak is useful? You have to START in the menu area to drag, so why is dragging easier than tapping if you have to start the touch in the same area?
    It has to do with the level of precision. Many apps come with a menu bar that sits directly beneath the status bat (music player, for example), and often time trying to click one will invoke the other. Button proximity can and do affect usability quite a bit. The click-drag interaction reduces the level of precision for the user, making the selection of the status bar easier.
    yeah. i was hoping this was possible / coming. Thanks!
    It has to do with the level of precision. Many apps come with a menu bar that sits directly beneath the status bat (music player, for example), and often time trying to click one will invoke the other. Button proximity can and do affect usability quite a bit. The click-drag interaction reduces the level of precision for the user, making the selection of the status bar easier.

I don't understand how dragging reduces the precision though. In order for the drag to be picked up by the menu, your finger has to START at the correct place. Same exact restrictions as tapping, the only difference being that you can move your finger after touching it rather than just lifting your finger.
    you can start above the menu bar and drag down, which requires less precision than starting exactly in the status bar. i believe that's how it works... not 100% certain though. because it's a drag-motion, the touchscreen doesn't need to start register any user input until the finger enters the status bar proper.
    you can start above the menu bar and drag down, which requires less precision than starting exactly in the status bar. i believe that's how it works... not 100% certain though. because it's a drag-motion, the touchscreen doesn't need to start register any user input until the finger enters the status bar proper.
    Ahh the drag-start event will be triggered when the finger slides from anywhere outside the div into the div. I understand how that would be useful now.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    yes, as long as you are close when you swipe, it will bring it down. Therefore you don't need to be accurate. It works great in 1.2.
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    yes, as long as you are close when you swipe, it will bring it down. Therefore you don't need to be accurate. It works great in 1.2.

So one could use this idea to create a patch that brought up global search when swiping that area... Then double-tap gesture area for virtual keyboard. Then no hard keyboard needed for global search...

HMMMM
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    Great to hear! I'm so itching for 1.2 now... If that's even possible to want it more than I already do.