1.    #1  
    I realize that this is probably out of the realm of possibility considering how WebOS is basically Linux+services with everything rendered via WebKit, however is it remotely feasible to build WebKit from source and run it on the Pre?

For a device so dependent on the WebKit rendering engine, the Pre's implementation is missing some pretty important features present in both the iPhone and Android versions.
    like what?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by exhero View Post
    like what?
    Like not crapping out on digg.com.

A updated webkit would be great, but means a lot of testing by Palm.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    I'm hoping for WebKit 4 to render a lot faster too. This version is crap.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    I've been expecting Palm to update the webkit build for a while now. The base they're working with is almost a year old now. No one has provided me a user-agent of 1.2 even though I've asked if WebKit was updated in 1.2 at least 3 times now but no one will give me a direct answer using the user-agent data.

I hope we can see an update to the webkit build in the next version or so.(after 1.2 I guess)
    Will someine go to Whats My User Agent? who has 1.2 and post back findings please
  7.    #7  
    Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.2; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/525.27.1 Pre/1.0

Edit: Assuming the iPhone is correctly displaying the WebKit version in its user-agent and its version is older than the Pre's, why do a lot of iPhone and Android optimized sites still not work correctly? (eg books.google.com/m). You can spoof the user-agent and it still doesn't render.
    There are two ways to spoof it. There's a thread here that explains how to fully get your web just like the iPhones. Only thing is it breaks Google Maps. I would not only like to see a new webkit, but I'd love to see some more popular sites recognizing the Pre and making some properly formatted sites for it.
  9.    #9  
    Nah I know. I've used both spoofing methods and neither one fixes the Google Books site I linked. Regardless, I'm pretty sure Google isn't even checking user-agents for that particular site since it loads up fine in Chrome without user-agent spoofing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.2; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/525.27.1 Pre/1.0

Edit: Assuming the iPhone is correctly displaying the WebKit version in its user-agent and its version is older than the Pre's, why do a lot of iPhone and Android optimized sites still not work correctly? (eg books.google.com/m). You can spoof the user-agent and it still doesn't render.
    iPhone 3.0 OS uses a much more recent webkit build. So does Android 1.5.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; de-; HTC Magic Build/PLAT-RC33) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

Regarding rendering, this could be something Palm did, as the webkit on the Pre is suppose to be a Palm modded version of that webkit build.