Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How to i remove all the patches such as the virtual keyboard or the battery percentage sign? can anyone please point me in the direction of a good set of instruction on how to get this done?

thanks
    rich
    lol, you don't really have to remove anything.. palm fully overwrites files, so you're good.
    awesome glad to read this.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Be careful. Jason (Preware) had said that you must remove all his tweaks and the keyboard etc before updating the OS to 1.2.
    This may have changed with version 8.5. I would wait for a response from him before jumping in without removing all tweaks etc.
    Look thru this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...0-preware.html
    im just gonna webos DR it. I kinda like the idea of starting fresh with each update.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    im just gonna webos DR it. I kinda like the idea of starting fresh with each update.
    SAME!
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    If my post was helpful please thank me!

Linux/Palm Pre HELP can be found at:
    http://www.crombiez.com

-intro.
    I say when palm adds code it moves the lines around. So if you dont remove them WebOsQuickInstall wont be able to remove them if they dont work. Be Forewarned if you dont remove them you wont be able to remove the code as QuickInstall wont be able to find it.
    If you're updating via the Update app on the Pre itself, you'll need to get to a root prompt and type "cd /" followed by "quilt pop -a". This will remove all your patches.

If you're using WebOS Doctor, don't worry about it since running the doctor is basically the Pre equivalent of formatting your hard drive and reinstalling Windows. Nothing you have installed will matter.

Only upgrade via WebOS Doctor if you don't have a lot of bookmarks or contact links since those don't get restored with your Palm Profile.
    i agree
    So what y'all are saying is that when this 1.2 finally comes out, I'm gonna have to completely whipe all the totally cool things I've got on here? T_T bummer.....
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Don't be so confident, I used webos DR last week and when I finished restoring my Pre I logged into my Palm Profile and only my last 3 contacts that I added showed up on my phone. I have my Palm Backup on and have never turned it off, it was a painful experience to try and get everyone's phone number again.
    If you run webos doctor on your pre do you have to root your pre all over again
    Quote Originally Posted by trapharder4844 View Post
    If you run webos doctor on your pre do you have to root your pre all over again
    Its sounds like you believe that 'rooting' your pre is equivalent to making a single permanent change to it. This isn't the case. Rooting simply means gaining root access. If you use webosdr, your phone will esentially be restored to factory settings, so any changes you've made to your phone, including those that required root access will be undone.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    When I updated to 1.1, I made the mistake of not removing the tweaks I did, which in turn screwed up the line count on a lot codes making it impossible for me to proceed with certain changes or fix certain tweaks.

The only tweak I'm worried about is the change carrier code one...I didn't make a backup of the original, so I don't know what to do about that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhMassacre View Post
    lol, you don't really have to remove anything.. palm fully overwrites files, so you're good.
    I love how everyone keeps ignoring things like this. To repeat: chances are, you won't have to manually remove anything because the update overwrites all files. The likelihood of something getting messed up is very low, because it'd mean that Palm updated a file that references a file that they didn't update, and I just don't see them not updating both files. In 1.1, I updated directly and all that happened is my hacks disappeared, and if I hadn't used webOS Doctor to try the leaked 1.2, I'd do the same.

But, most people will still recommend just using webOS Doctor and starting over to be safe. The only time I think using webOS Doctor to update will be necessary is if you're already on the leaked 1.2 like I am. I fully plan on using the new webOS Doctor for the official 1.2 just in case things have changed.
    I'll take certain steps to remove patches that I used quilt for but ones that I edited the files myself I'll just wait and see if they get screwed up by the update and if they do I'll use the 1.2 doctor image to extract the affected directory and replace the 1 on my phone.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    cant u just delete the homebrewed programs and then uncheck the tweaks in the webos install program? am i correct or no? and will we be gettn new tweaks and homebrew programs for the 1.2?
    Speak of the devil, my launcher pages are so screwed up right now I have no clue what happened. Can't drag apps around and drop them, lots of weirdness here, so I deleted a bunch of apps and still the same problem. I haven't patched anything in a week. Wow
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersie View Post
    cant u just delete the homebrewed programs and then uncheck the tweaks in the webos install program? am i correct or no? and will we be gettn new tweaks and homebrew programs for the 1.2?
    Yes you can! they are talking more about the guys that have rooted and changed code manually or ran patches via quilt.

And the homebrew apps installed as Ipk should be fine.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    if i web os doctor my pre is it going to erase all my contacts also??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast