Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    This guy is pushing all sorts of crappy little games into the homebrew repos, and I can't help but remember that iPhone developer from India that there was a big scene about a while back.... He had made thousands of useless apps and finally got his developer license revoked by Apple.

I looked at a few of the games by "dseffects", and they're all just little poor quality ports of existing games. Of course, they're accompanied by several ads before and after playing. Why else would he do this? :/

I'm not saying that people don't have a right to make apps, obviously, but does this bother anybody else? This type of thing is what's going to turn our App Catalog into a mess like the App Store. Not to mention that the user "dseffects" doesn't have a single post on the forums.

Thoughts? Fellow rants?
    All the games he's posted are in this one apple app. it's like an arcade app with 100+ games so he's just making each game individually useful on the pre.
    Yes, i feel like its spam or something for me not to trust. and just consider that most people using homebrew are possibly people who leave their phone in dev mode.
    Last edited by RanGT; 09/04/2009 at 02:48 AM. Reason: took out words
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    I am all for an open-market of apps for the Palm Pre. Sure, that may mean alot of useless apps, but the most useless app to you may be a cool app to me. The Palm OS really had no regulation on apps, and that's probably why there were sooooo many apps of all varieties even for the smallest of user pools. Apple's method of controlling what apps gets on their phone will only hurt them in the long run as other phones start to dominate the market and open up to developers with less restrictions and controls.

So in short, my opinion on this matter is "who cares." And personally, I played Dseffect's monstercups game for about 15 minutes yesterday waiting to see my doctor; didn't mind the little ads at all...
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    i dunno, i'm rather happy that there is a poker game i can play now.
    The more the merrier.

Just disregard it if it has no value to you
    i guess i'd b comforted to know the app was legit. hearing you guys say they are trustable is good enuf. and i really like your comment about app being something dif for dif people...totally agree. but to answer original post, something felt fishy at first and i should consider turning off dev mode.

i was more worried about word of ace since data is sent back and forth but also being connected with other users. i'm sure there are super hackers that could get in your phone if in dev mode. so i'd want an app to be verified somehow to have good security.
    Last edited by RanGT; 09/04/2009 at 02:47 AM.
    ***I Twitter***

Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Right. I'm not opposed to apps or saying that we shouldn't have an open catalog, but they just feel fishy. Ah well.
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    This guy is pushing all sorts of crappy little games into the homebrew repos
    I have to say I had the same impression ... kinda' goes against the spirit of "homebrew". But at the same time, people are screaming for "more apps!", and it seems like some people like the games. Plus, it's difficult to start disallowing entries unless someone is really abusing the facility (which they don't seem to be doing). Who's the judge of what's "good" and "bad".

It's an interesting experiment that Pre|Central and Palm (indirectly) have created here ... with an SDK that just about anyone can pick up and create an app. Could be great (which it really has been so far) ... could just create a lot of junk.
    I personally like a few of the games (especially Monkey Jump)... The adds don't bother me. and if you don't like the games, just don't download them!
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    I think that the games need more work, for sure they do, I wouldn't go as far to say "spamming" though, just posting premature apps. But thats what homebrew is all about
    I feel that dseffects should release his games in bundles. Like a 10-in-1 game application
    Wow. Someone is actually taking the time to develop and create apps for the Pre and you're complaining?? Just because you don't like any of his work doesn't justify you accusing him of "spamming".

Did you pay for these apps? Are they misleading in any way?

I can't believe the audacity of some of you. If you don't like his apps, don't waste your time downloading anymore of them. They are all clearly labeled as developed by dseffects.

If it wasn't for talented developers like him, you would have to wait for Palm to release more apps on the official catalog anytime you wanted extra stuff on your phone.

You, sir, should be ashamed (and banned).

"We all follow the Chelsea!!!"
    I'm assuming there is moderation for the repositories so lets leave it up to them. I think this is the wrong forum for app reviews. Maybe what you're doing here is an Un-request, heh, that's a dubious fit for this forum.

I saw there was a polar bear bowling app out by someone, made me long for the penguin baseball flash game, lol. I'd download that.
    call me paranid but it just felt weird that all these simple apps were coming out from the same person. it felt weird IN MY OPINION (which i hope i'm entitled to). thats all the first post was asking and i responded. but if someone needs an app to tap on the screen then yes, they should have that app. but the reason i did not keep these apps on my pre is bc i don't trust them with my dev mode turned on which i don't want to turn off.

but i do apologize for putting down these apps and i'll amend my posts, but i will not change my opinion of the safety unless the catalogs verify they are safe and from trusted sources.
    ***I Twitter***

definitely turn off dev mode when not needed! possible security issues
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtom2444 View Post
    Wow. Someone is actually taking the time to develop and create apps for the Pre and you're complaining?? Just because you don't like any of his work doesn't justify you accusing him of "spamming".

Did you pay for these apps? Are they misleading in any way?

I can't believe the audacity of some of you. If you don't like his apps, don't waste your time downloading anymore of them. They are all clearly labeled as developed by dseffects.

If it wasn't for talented developers like him, you would have to wait for Palm to release more apps on the official catalog anytime you wanted extra stuff on your phone.

You, sir, should be ashamed (and banned).
    This is just a ridiculous post.

I don't want to speak for Stubbs, but no where did I see that he was accusing him of spamming because he didn't like his work. I think you completely took his original post out of context.

You are entitled to your opinion, just like he is entitled to his. I don't see why you can even make a remark like that when he's just stating his opinion, the same way you so blatantly stated yours...

My goal isn't to turn this into a flame-war thread. I think we should all try to not get so worked up. I don't think Stubbs was meaning to start a war here, but these forums are here to spark insight and conversation surrounding the phone, and of course, people's opinions are heavily weighted when it comes to some of these topics.