1.    #1  
    Im having some issues with terminal. Anytime I type in a command such as palm-install (and the ipk) it says :
    -bash: palm-install: command not found

Can someone please help me out??? It works a couple of weeks ago and I havent used it since but now Im trying to root my pre and it doesnt even allow that command.
    Any words of advice?
    Terminal? The app for the Pre?

Or do you mean the Command Prompt on Windows?

Is your phone in developer mode (it has to be).

If it is and it still says device not detected, then try rebooting your computer (I had to last night because my laptop stopped recognizing my pre).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyjay View Post
    Im having some issues with terminal. Anytime I type in a command such as palm-install (and the ipk) it says :
    -bash: palm-install: command not found

Can someone please help me out??? It works a couple of weeks ago and I havent used it since but now Im trying to root my pre and it doesnt even allow that command.
    Any words of advice?
    looks like bash doesn't have the right directories in it's path. if you type env and press enter you will see PATH listed and a bunch of directories separated by colons.

Here is mine:
    PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/sbin

the last 2 are for optware and aren't needed if you don't have it. If you don't have any of that in your path you can add any file in your /etc/profile.d directory and add the line above into the file. That should set your path every time you start a terminal session. If you have any more questions reply here or PM me.
    palm-install is not a script that runs on the Pre.

The original poster is asking about paths on his host system, not the Pre.

Unfortunately, he didn't say what OS he is using, so no-one can really help him until he gives more information.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Are you using mac's command line utility, "Terminal"?
  6.    #6  
    I am using Mac OSX I just upgraded to snow leopard, I'll try that command to see if it works
    Just hook up using usb, "jiust charge", open terminal, type novaterm, hit enter. Should bring you to "root@castle".
  8.    #8  
    This is what I get when I type env in Terminal on my mac:
    anthony-fosters-imac:~ anthonyfoster$ env
    TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
    TERM=xterm-color
    SHELL=/bin/bash
    TMPDIR=/var/folders/X0/X09t57HAGeyhnhOnXZRCh++++TI/-Tmp-/
    Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/tmp/launch-DS4DRS/Render
    TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=272
    USER=anthonyfoster
    COMMAND_MODE=unix2003
    SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/launch-xtiRDy/Listeners
    __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0
    PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
    PWD=/Users/anthonyfoster
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    SHLVL=1
    HOME=/Users/anthonyfoster
    LOGNAME=anthonyfoster
    DISPLAY=/tmp/launch-68zlF4/:0
    _=/usr/bin/env
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstardjal View Post
    Just hook up using usb, "jiust charge", open terminal, type novaterm, hit enter. Should bring you to "root@castle".
    Just open up a new terminal window, and follow above. I think your still in your apple's os filesystem..
    Then again, i'm prob the last person to give command line advice. That's just how I get to root on mine. Never had a problem.
  10.    #10  
    I typed in novaterm and root@castle came up but I tried doing palm-install and it says not found
    what are you trying to do? ultimatly?
    -install ipk program?
    -apply patches?
    -custom system mods?
    where did u go?
  13.    #13  
    I am trying to root my phone to apply patches and some system mods.
    i still cant seem to get this working with the emulator -i must be doing something wrong

i just installed snow leopard and now it doesnt package my app from the terminal
    i tried starting novacom, novaterm, etc... from the bin in sdk

im not sure how to do this
  15.    #15  
    I finally gained root access! But now I am trying to apply patches, I opened a terminal window typed novaterm and root@castle:/# comes up again. Is this where I log on with the username I created?
    with snow leopard installed i am only able to package or install to the emulator using terminal -if i specify the path to each i.e. sudo /opt/PalmSDK/0.1/bin/palm-install /Users/"username"/com.yourdomain."filename"_1.0.0_all.ipk
    i am unsure how to set the path in bash to point to the bin folder containing these commands -is this easy
    can anybody help me do this so that i dont have to do this everytime
    this seems to work

Macintosh:~ "username"$ csh
    Macintosh:~ "username"% set path = (/opt/PalmSDK/0.1/bin $path)
    Macintosh:~ "username"% cd projects
    Macintosh:~/projects] "username"% palm-package myapp
    PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/usr/programs/bin
    where /usr/programs/bin is the path to where the programs are stored
    this works