Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Hi all,

Wondering if anyone might have any ideas. I used to be able to Putty in over wifi, use WinSCP, etc, but now I get a Fatal Error window saying "Network error: Connection timed out". The strange thing is that I can log in over EVDO.

The only change I can think of is that I installed Preware via WebOS Quick install, and a whole bunch of homebrew apps (maybe deleting one or two that I decided I didn't need).

The only other thing I've noticed is that I now have to manually set my Pre's IP address under WiFi preferences, otherwise I get an "IP Configuration Failed" message connecting to my home router. I don't know if that's related, since I'm pretty sure I was using another wireless access point earlier today. My router at home has WPA, the one I was using earlier was unsecured...

But not being able to use putty over wifi is my main question!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your time,
    Ed
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    The first thing I would do is a reset on my phone...try that and post back, we'll see if we can get it fixed.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Tried resetting, and full shut off then turn on, no dice.

Tried soft reset of router, that didn't work, either.

I've also figured out that I was not actually using wifi to get data when I manually set the IP address. It was secretly using EVDO. After turning on airplane mode and then starting up the wifi, I got the same configuration failed message when the preference setting was for automatic, and then claiming it was connected, but not able to pull any data when setting it manually. (browser says "Unable to resolve host", Pandora doesn't work, etc)

So I guess I'm not able to use putty over wifi because the wifi's not working. Soooo.... I guess I'm changing my question! Why isn't my wifi connecting properly to a router (with WPA encryption) that I've been using successfully at least until earlier this week?

In the past few days, I've installed Preware and a whole bunch of homebrew, including Flashlight Service for Flashlight!, and I assume automatically by preware: GNU Patch and Package manager service. I also installed the virtual keyboard, but uninstalling it doesn't help (just trying to think of patches or programs that might mess something up).

update:
    sigh. It's like hitting a TV. If you keep trying the same stuff, or more importantly, keep trying the same stuff but with little variations, sometimes you get lucky. This time I tried turning off the cable modem AND soft resetting the router. Guess the problem was my router.

Thanks for the offer for help, though!
    Last edited by edhkim; 09/03/2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: kept trying stuff