1.    #1  
    I have this on my netbook. It would be cool to have a voip client that lets you use whatever provider you choose. not just google.
    I opt for gizmo 5 because of the cheap unlimited incoming calling for $12. If I could have this on the pre would be awesome to have. why is there 2 google talk apps for the pre dkgooglevoice and gdialpro? Some of us don't have a number yet and waiting....
  2.    #2  
    So I suppose no one is interested in VOIP app for the pre.. what about advance VBR like they did with Pandora app. Can't you stream audio this way when making calls? Looking at the specs the pre is an eligible candidate for this. What now?
    No microphone support yet in the SDK for a VOIP app.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    No microphone support yet in the SDK for a VOIP app.
    I supposed you don't own a pre..yet ? I already sent a request to Gizmo5. I hope someone answers to this either way but thanks for your input.
    Quote Originally Posted by getmoneyeveryday View Post
    I supposed you don't own a pre..yet ? I already sent a request to Gizmo5. I hope someone answers to this either way but thanks for your input.
    Uh, no, I have a Pre, I've written a (very) simple application for the Pre, and I've looked at the SDK. Again, it does not have a public microphone API yet.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    You have over 200 posts and didn't think to search? There's been a million threads about VOIP, all with the same answer. It is not yet possible.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    You have over 200 posts and didn't think to search? There's been a million threads about VOIP, all with the same answer. It is not yet possible.
    Gage006 I could not help but saw your comment 3 days ago I didn't have time to reply. and I just wanted to say "yes there is a million threads about VOIP, You're so "f---kin ignorant. Not all of them have the same answer" and I'm not talking about just any phone. To be specific.. I'm talking about the palm pre. Some developers already working on video recording (do u still think it's not possible??) and ptt (push to talk) features.. upcoming apps that will come with voice features which is way too close to true voip so yeah after u look at this url.. Agile Mobile - MSN, ICQ, AIM, XMPP, IMPS, Google Talk & Yahoo! Messenger for Palm Pre the app to be release, after it's released that anything is possible. I strongly advise you to think about what you're going to say if you're intelligent enough to reply with something constructive thank you..
    Gage006 I could not help but saw your comment 3 days ago I didn't have time to reply. and I just wanted to say "yes there is a million threads about VOIP, You're so "f---kin ignorant. Not all of them have the same answer" and I'm not talking about just any phone. To be specific.. I'm talking about the palm pre. Some developers already working on video recording (do u still think it's not possible??) and ptt (push to talk) features.. upcoming apps that will come with voice features which is way too close to true voip so yeah after u look at this url.. Agile Mobile - MSN, ICQ, AIM, XMPP, IMPS, Google Talk & Yahoo! Messenger for Palm Pre the app to be release, after it's released that anything is possible. I strongly advise you to think about what you're going to say if you're intelligent enough to reply with something constructive thank you..
    Wow... Anyway, not going to take sides on this.. but...

From a developer that is working on a VoIP app for webOS (me) -- it is not currently technically possible to do real time audio or video recording in a non-homebrew app in webOS 1.4.5 (not going to discuss 2.0). This is something that is possible in a homebrew app, which I am looking into. But, I would rather release into the app catalog.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    This is something that is possible in a homebrew app, which I am looking into. But, I would rather release into the app catalog.
    Please do a homebrew app. There are a lot of people who would pay $5+ for a good SIP/Google Talk + Voice/Skype/ whatever app on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricyteach View Post
    Please do a homebrew app. There are a lot of people who would pay $5+ for a good SIP/Google Talk + Voice/Skype/ whatever app on the Pre.
    Doesn't matter, as you can't charge for homebrew.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Doesn't matter, as you can't charge for homebrew.
    But what about a homebrew web appcat app?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    You could have the homebrew app unlocked by buying an unlock app in the app catalog. wouldn't be that hard.
    FYI, it seems like with 2.0 it's at least theoretically possible to do a VOIP app. The posts about it being possible are from months ago, but 2.0 adds microphone APIs to the SDK, as evidenced by arthurthornton's own Voice Memos app mentioned on the front page.
    I subscribed to all of the "million" VoIP threads because I really want a true VoIP app.
    True means able to choose any sip provider I want to.
    If there is anything I can do helping development please let me know.