Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is a direct copy of the post over at the official Palm forums. People asked that I place it over here now that it has reached alpha. Hopefully you guys like it as much as so many others have.

Komodo Edit is a free cross platform editor for webOS development. For those using this editor or it's paid counterpart Komodo IDE a Add-on has been created to help speed up development. The add-on has been created to work along side non-webos projects also since many use Komodo for PHP and Python development along with many other languages.

The Komodo Tools page has tools compatible with Komodo Edit and it's paid version Komodo IDE. Please read the install instructions (the Add-on is drag and drop, but the code completion has to be added from the preference panel).

(Screenshot, also there are more features to the right such as JSLint, check out the wiki article linked below for more screenshots)

Add-on (in beta, but stable)
    The add-on includes all the features you will need along with integrated JSLint support. Updates are integrated into Komodo, but can be checked manually much like Firefox under Tools > Add-ons > Check for updates

Please view the webOS-Internals article below for a step by step install with screenshots.
    Komodo WebOS Add-on Install - WebOS Internals

Code Completion
    Complete code completion generated from the source for Mojo can also be downloaded.

Bugs and Suggestion
    Please don't use this thread for bug reports, I don't really view this forum a whole lot. Use the bug tracker instead. Even if you think it's small just add it. Gives me something to do inbetween these larger updates.

Frequently Asked Questions
    Q. Komodo Edit vs. Eclipse?
    A. This is all opinionated, but most have commented that Komodo is easier to use and setup. Code completion support is very nice for rapid development. The add-on is also currently superior to what Palm has provided for Eclipse and is updated frequently. Integrated JSLint support is usually commented on as being a huge plus. Managing multiple projects is quick and simple. Jumping between 10 different projects has been commented as smooth. Komodo Edit does lack Source control integration (the IDE has this). This will be integrated through the add-on at a later time though. Do not discuss this in this thread. Keep discussion about the Tools.

Q. Is code completion required to use the Add-on?
    A. No, but many find it useful while writing their applications.

Q. Is debugging going to be integrated?
    A. Yes, it is being coded right now.

Q. Is SSH seperate from the systems SSH?
    A. Yes Komodo and the webOS add-on handle SSH themselves this makes SSH cross platform without the need of putty for windows users.

Q. Are translations provided?
    A. The add-on will hopefully support this at a later time, but will take some reorganizing as only around 1/5 of all text is stored in the language files at the moment.

Q. Where can I get help?
    A. Most of the people in freenode.net IRC #webos use Komodo, they can help you or just PM me at "Templarian" although if I'm not in the channel I'm not going to be online. Plus those in the channel are large supporters of what I'm doing and it is main place I get input so quite a few of them know it pretty well.

Q. Can I use some of the add-ons functionality in my macros?
    A. Yes, but some of these functions are still being finalized. All of the base functions are being written in a reusable fashion with callbacks. Hopefully list these later on when I'm sure they won't be changed anymore.

Q. Source Control?
    A. The paid IDE has every source control built in very nicely. I've been asked to build it into Komodo Edit for git (could be expanded to others since I'm an SVN person). A lot of little things to code in before this though.

Q. Do you view these forums?
    A. More of an IRC person. But since it is a sticky now I'll do my best to view this forum more.

Good luck everyone and I hope these tools can help you to create some amazing applications.
    Last edited by Templarian; 10/16/2009 at 03:07 PM.
    I've been testing this add-on for a while and it's great! It just keeps getting better. If you're fed up with the bloat of Eclipse you definitely should try this out for webOS development. Big thanks to Templarian.
    Just wanted to put my thanks in here for the add-on. You worked directly with me to fix an issue I was having and the add-on works great.
    gDial Pro - Unofficial Google Voice app for Pre
    You should follow me on twitter
    Become a fan on Facebook
    Nevermind..
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 09/03/2009 at 01:31 PM.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    After looking at the source code on the Komodo Edit site, I'm more inclined to say you experienced a false positive from god awful McAfee.

The only javascript code on the site is bog standard J-Query and the Google Analytics code. Delete McAfee/Norton and get something better.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    False positive.

Hopefully you guys are enjoying Komodo Edit. Around 200+ strong at the moment. Trust me you guys will like it if you try it. And there are other extensions out there for JavaScript development that can be applied along side the webOS Add-on to help even more.
    Last edited by Templarian; 09/03/2009 at 02:34 PM.
    I agree McAfee isn't the best, but it is what I have. It works. It slows down my system, but it works and I haven't gotten a virus. Of course, I am still experienced enough to know how to prevent myself from getting one or to remove one, but there are still people who hack sites and put bad JSJSJS $on$ $the$ $site$.

For all we know, it is quite possible that is what happened to that site.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I have yet to use komodo, how does it compare to eclipse? Would there be any advantage for me switching from eclipse (with the webos plug in) to komodo (with the webos plug in)?
    I've used Komodo Edit, and I have to say this program is pretty nice. One question....does it support SVN?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningisbad View Post
    I have yet to use komodo, how does it compare to eclipse? Would there be any advantage for me switching from eclipse (with the webos plug in) to komodo (with the webos plug in)?
    I've been told that Komodo Edit is better on many occasions. No one has gone back to Eclipse after switching, so I take it as a good sign it's better.

I don't use Eclipse so the Q and A section is from others above has a section comparing the benefits.
    Quote Originally Posted by linwiz311 View Post
    I've used Komodo Edit, and I have to say this program is pretty nice. One question....does it support SVN?
    Only the paid IDE has Source Control (SVN, GIT, I think all of them) integration. If you look around there might be an extension. Really everything in the IDE can be written into the free version through extensions and some people have done this.

If not you would have to use an external application (I prefer Tortoise SVN since it's build right into the file system viewer and is simple to use).

Currently this is Komodo Edit's only drawback and I would write it in myself, but i'm busy with other things at the moment.
    Last edited by Templarian; 09/07/2009 at 11:40 AM.
    Sorry one more question....so I'm currently working on an app that I've started with Eclipse. How do I get Komodo Edit to recognize the app directory? Is there a way to import it?

Thanks!
    can you use this instead of putty to edit files and copy files, as you would for like the onscreen keyboard, boot logos, etc. ??

im new at this please bare with me
    thanks
    This is great! Thank you
    I'm ready to give it a whirl. Thanks for all the info. I just hope that the information in the documentation and guides isn't too eclipse-specific. This is all very new to me.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by linwiz311 View Post
    Sorry one more question....so I'm currently working on an app that I've started with Eclipse. How do I get Komodo Edit to recognize the app directory? Is there a way to import it?

Thanks!
    The Komodo WebOS Development Blog page has a guide for using existing projects. Create a new project and place your files in a /src/ folder.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarmilitia86 View Post
    can you use this instead of putty to edit files and copy files, as you would for like the onscreen keyboard, boot logos, etc. ??

im new at this please bare with me
    thanks
    That's not really what the editor is for. Although you can perform basic ssh commands to the emulator. "ssh <command>", but it's still being fixed for OS X users.

Quote Originally Posted by zx3junglist View Post
    I'm ready to give it a whirl. Thanks for all the info. I just hope that the information in the documentation and guides isn't too eclipse-specific. This is all very new to me.
    You should be fine, some of the WebOS Internals wiki stuff is written for Komodo since a vast amount of users there have it as their main editor (although most is written without a specific editor in mind).
    Last edited by Templarian; 09/08/2009 at 05:25 PM.
    So far, it looks pretty nice. However, I can't seem to get it to push to the emulator when I click one of the webos options at the bottom. It gives an error that it can't connect to the emulator and to make sure it is running. The emulator is running and I can use the "pre" on the emulator just fine.

Is there something I am missing that you can think of, or a way to troubleshoot it?

Thanks,

Mugg
    Ok, I'm using Komodo Edit now, and I can say that my develop speed has just about doubled. Eclipse freezes too often and the autocomplete is nowhere as comprehensive as the one Templarian made.

Thanks for all your hard work!
  18.    #18  
    ^ Thanks (really the autocomplete file was made by one of Activestate's[ the creators of Komodo] staff, they are very supportive)

Quote Originally Posted by Mugg View Post
    So far, it looks pretty nice. However, I can't seem to get it to push to the emulator when I click one of the webos options at the bottom. It gives an error that it can't connect to the emulator and to make sure it is running. The emulator is running and I can use the "pre" on the emulator just fine.

Is there something I am missing that you can think of, or a way to troubleshoot it?

Thanks,

Mugg
    Hit CTRL+R and type "novacom -l" and paste the output (please do it in komodo to double check even though you could use a command line). All I do is a pretty simple check for the word " tcp " with spaces around it for the emulator.

Let me know if that isn't the issue.

(Also if you guys do IRC these questions can usually be answered there pretty quickly, but if your not here works also)
    Last edited by Templarian; 09/08/2009 at 05:36 PM.
    Hi, Komodo'ers...

Do you use any source code tree in Komodo Edit? I'm accustomed to use code trees, and need one.

BTW, Komodo is great!!! I love it!!!
    Templarian,

I've been trying out your Komodo solution for the last few days and so far I like it. There are few things that take some getting used to, but those are to be expected. If I decide to keep using it, I'd like to drop you a donation.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast