1.    #1  
    We have Pandora, and Shoutcast now, but what about LAST.FM and Slacker?
  2. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I looked into creating a Last.fm app, but you can't stream their readio to mobile devices for legal reasons.

Who can I stream radio to?

Any API account can only stream radio to Last.fm's paid subscribers.

Note: Due to licensing restrictions, you may not use the radio API on mobile telephones.
    http://www.last.fm/api/radio
    Last edited by ird; 09/02/2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Typo
    Whats a mobil4 device? And for the record, there is a last.fm app for the iPhone.
  4. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    It isn't possible but you have to negotiate a separate deal with Last.fm. They have to get money to pay for the royalties. So I'm sure an app will come but you will have to pay for it. The mobile device rule isn't set in stone but the app developer will have to work it out with Last.fm. I'm not sure if the app will be allowed to stream over evdo though.
    Last edited by ird; 09/03/2009 at 01:40 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Groovehog:

What the hell are you talking about? Mobile4? iPhone? What the hell good would an iPhone app do for a Palm Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by derrickonline View Post
    Groovehog:

What the hell are you talking about? Mobile4? iPhone? What the hell good would an iPhone app do for a Palm Pre.
    Ird edited his post above mine that had mispelled words. I figured out after that fact that he was trying to spell 'mobile' and came out 'mobil4'. His previous post claimed that it was impossible to make a last.fm app for mobile devices because of last.fm not allowing it. I simply pointed to the fact that there is already a last.fm app for the iPhone.

I use last.fm on my PC and would love to see it come to the Pre. Anyone know if this is in the works?
  7. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I didn't say it was impossible. But someone would have to work out a deal to be able to stream over evdo.
  8.    #8  
    Groovehog...gotcha. I was like WTF is this dude talkin' about. LoL
    I'd definitely be down for Slacker. Had it for my Blackberry, had it for my iPhone. Definitely a cool program
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Paid subscriber? I'm not a paid last.fm subscriber and I can stream it with my ipod touch and the last.fm client there. Whiskey, tango, foxtrot, over?
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    yea, Android Market has a last.fm app available for the Hero, dont like it as much as pandora but hey...
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I'd like to see them too. We should get a list going and send it to Slacker and Last.fm themselves. An app is much more likely to come from their devs than them allowing somebody else to use their APIs.
    I'm not saying it's done, but there is something in the works. Maybe next week I'll have something worth showing, or not IDK I'm just doing it in my free time. Authentication is working and a couple of other features, I just need to code up a UI for it.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    still on track?
    Yes and no. I have the code written and it works. I use it pretty much everyday and it's on my cell phone.

The only problem is that I'm working it out with last.fm how to license this thing. It looks like it will not be allowed to stream when it's playing over the 3G. You will have to use a Wifi connection to stream music and that the software will have to enforce this restriction.
    I'd love a slacker app. I've emailed them my request also.
    why can't we stream it over evdo?? This is how pandora streams and it is also free??
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    It's not a technical limitation. It's a licensing issue; I'm trying to work it out.
    I like Last FM and Slacker more than Pandora it would make my day :-D