1.    #1  
    Not me. I tried following the suggestions on the Pre dev wiki in this article:

Tutorials Linux DDNS Update Client wget - WebOS Internals

I'm using an http update method to update the domain name through dyndns.

The problem I'm having is here:

Code:
     export myip=`ifconfig ppp0 | head -2 | tail -1 | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/[^1-9.]//g'`
     wget -qO-wget -qO- http://username:password@members.dyndns.org/nic/update?hostname=mydomainname.kicks-***.net&myip=$myip
    The myip environment variable correctly holds the ppp0 (EVDO) IP address, but when I run the wget to update my domain name with the EVDO address (utilizing $myip variable), dyndns updates with my WiFi address instead of the EVDO address.

Also, putting that script in the /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ directory does not update consistently.

Anyone have a method for correctly updating with my EVDO address and only when it changes? I've been looking for that answer ever since rooting was discovered. A frequent cron job could solve the problem, but it's not very elegant.
    Last edited by prochobo; 09/02/2009 at 11:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    Not me. I tried following the suggestions on the Pre dev wiki in these two articles:

Tutorials Linux DDNS Update Client wget - WebOS Internals

I'm using an http update method to update the domain name through dyndns.

The problem I'm having is here:

Code:
     export myip=`ifconfig ppp0 | head -2 | tail -1 | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/[^1-9.]//g'`
     wget -qO-wget -qO- http://username:password@members.dyndns.org/nic/update?hostname=mydomainname.kicks-***.net&myip=$myip
    The myip environment variable correctly holds the ppp0 (EVDO) IP address, but when I run the wget to update my domain name with the EVDO address (utilizing $myip variable), dyndns updates with my WiFi address instead of the EVDO address.

Also, putting that script in the /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ directory does not update consistently.

Anyone have a method for correctly updating with my EVDO address and only when it changes? I've been looking for that answer ever since rooting was discovered. A frequent cron job could solve the problem, but it's not very elegant.

Stupid question, but did you turn the Wifi radio off?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsparc View Post
    Stupid question, but did you turn the Wifi radio off?
    No. That will solve the problem, but it leaves me without Wifi. That will force me to manually turn on wifi when I need it, which is a pretty big inconvenience.
    The wget method is not consistent, it doesn't always work. It has something to do with how the script runs, but it does NOT update consistently. Switch to the ez-ipupdate method with a dyndns.org account, and your troubles will be solved.

With the wget method, for instance, going into and back out of airplane mode gives you a new IP, but doesn't update with the server. Rebooting while wifi switch is on gives one result every time, but rebooting while wifi switch is off gives another. Short story is, it doesn't work.

Switch to the ez-ipupdate method, and it will work.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I used these directions...and it works consistently..

How to Set Up Google GPS Tracking on your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog!
    I also use ez-ipupdate with dyndns.com and it is very reliable and consistently updates with no problem
  7.    #7  
    I started using ez-ipupdate and its solved all the problems. Thanks guys.
    where are the links to ez-ipupdate? Does this help with gps tracking or locating your pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by getmoneyeveryday View Post
    where are the links to ez-ipupdate? Does this help with gps tracking or locating your pre?
    ez-ipupdate is one of the EVDO DDNS methods listed on the webosinternals wiki page. You follow the instructions there, and it allows you to have access to your phone over EVDO anytime, because the DDNS service will update your domain name with your new EVDO IP address any time that it changes. Doing this allows you to much more easily set up a webserver with lighttbp, which is one very good/easy method of tracking your pre that is discussed on this website and others.
    I am using dyndns with Pre. No problems since I set it up a couple months ago. When I ssh into the phone over evdo it can take a bit to first connect, but once connected is responsive.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Probably just my experience (or my imagination), but when I used ez-ipupdate, it drained my battery. I also agree that the DDNS method isn't totally reliable, but my battery isn't dying nearly as fast. I assume it had something to do with ez-ipupdate running the whole time, while DDNS runs [sometimes] when the IP changes. Like I said, could be my imagination....
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    Probably just my experience (or my imagination), but when I used ez-ipupdate, it drained my battery. I also agree that the DDNS method isn't totally reliable, but my battery isn't dying nearly as fast. I assume it had something to do with ez-ipupdate running the whole time, while DDNS runs [sometimes] when the IP changes. Like I said, could be my imagination....
    Well, I applied the change last night and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Phone went off the charge at 7:30 AM, it's now ~3:30 PM and I'm showing 73% left; nothing out of the ordinary here.
    I wrote several updates to that page a week or so ago, including a far more reliable and simpler method for getting the necessary info directly from pppd itself instead of the old script which attempted to parse the output of ifconfig.
    I haven't had a problem using the wget method and definitely prefer it since it only runs once per pppd change event. Since it's getting info from pppd itself, there is no risk of grabbing the ip for the wifi and sending dyndns some non-routable lan ip.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani