Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    As a vista 64 user, I cant use novaterm, nor do i want to!

so i have been using the method to access with putty using a python script and connecting via "RAW" protocol, no dynamic dns needed etc (local host)

Accessing Linux From Windows - WebOS Internals

it works really well for me because i am familiar with using putty (sort of),

But WebOS Interals lists this page as being depreciated, so i am worried if there is some reason I shouldnt be using this method?

they instead suggest via portal using
    novaterm (cant use on 64bit)
    or opening a DOS prompt and typing novacom -t open tty:\\,
    or doing Open SSH (and doing that dynamic dns stuff if you don't want to look up ip all the time)

In a windows command prompt you cant use vi so its kind of pointless to do that, and I am noticing a lot of new people haven't realized that and if they haven't used vi they type vi in the windows prompt method and they get lost immediately.

I really like using this python script
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glod View Post
    As a vista 64 user, I cant use novaterm, nor do i want to!

so i have been using the method to access with putty using a python script and connecting via "RAW" protocol, no dynamic dns needed etc (local host)

Accessing Linux From Windows - WebOS Internals

it works really well for me because i am familiar with using putty (sort of),

But WebOS Interals lists this page as being depreciated, so i am worried if there is some reason I shouldnt be using this method?

they instead suggest via portal using
    novaterm (cant use on 64bit)
    or opening a DOS prompt and typing novacom -t open tty:\\,
    or doing Open SSH (and doing that dynamic dns stuff if you don't want to look up ip all the time)

In a windows command prompt you cant use vi so its kind of pointless to do that, and I am noticing a lot of new people haven't realized that and if they haven't used vi they type vi in the windows prompt method and they get lost immediately.

I really like using this python script
    I don't understand either. It might be a more simple procedure with less obstacles in the way for the common person. When I help someone root, I use the novaproxy script with Putty for that specific reason. I'm familiar with Putty now and it also has all the features needed unlike the windows prompt.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I just use putty to ssh into my pre directly. using novaterm is really only needed to root the pre initially.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    i used the novaproxy method to install the SSH stuff, now i use Putty with a DDNS, but yea the proxy still seems the easiset.
    The novaproxy method I believe was from before the SDK was officially released. In fact I used it to setup optware etc to use putty over wifi. There is nothing wrong with using the novaproxy to connect to the pre over USB. I still use it on rare occasion when I can't connect wireless. Basically with the release of the SDK the original means of accessing linux is real simple so the novaproxy method isn't needed unless you want to use putty over USB. I prefer to use putty over wifi.