Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    OK, so either I have a ghost in my house or someone is remotely accessing my Pre. As I'm writing this I'm watching screens open and close, and I can even see the little ripples where the touchscreen appears to be getting pressed. Recent activity includes activating BT and modifying an existing task in my list.

I rooted my phone last week following the instructions on the WebOS Internals page. I've noticed this activity both when I have a WiFi connection and when I'm on EVDO. My home WiFi router has a firewall with no incoming ports open that I'm aware of. Anyone know how this is happening or what I can do to fix it?
    Unless you managed to install ssh without a password, some how.

I'm not terribly familiar with the script, but I'm pretty sure it forces you to create an unpriviledged user, or at least a password.

Also seems rather unlikely for a number of other reasons, for instance, unless you set up a ddns, your ip changes fairly often.

Edit: Also, I don't know how you could generate "on screen touches" remotely. Maybe there's a command in there somewhere but I don't know of one.
    Last edited by Prenosicator; 09/01/2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: other
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    it is possible that while you were in root at some point you put the drive as rewritable and didnt put it back to read only. I'm not positive but i have read in a few places that people can access your phone if your hard drive is left in rw. try logging in as root and type mount -o remount, ro / Then press enter and then type reboot and hit enter. see if that works
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Ghostbusters?? Seriously, do you leave your phone in dev mode, and do you have a secure Wifi router with password protections. The only other thing I can think of is maybe there is issues with the touch screen itself?
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Thanks Jpeso. Rebooting now.

@Prenosticator- it's the darndest thing I've ever seen. I don't think the intruder was able to send any keystrokes (though it looked like they were trying). For instance, they tried to create a new task, and also tried to connect to a wifi network in my list. But watching the screen presses is just downright creepy.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    @awrnsmn- I had Dev mode on-- just turned it off. I'll see if that changes anything.

I set the drive to Read Only and rebooted but it looks like that didn't help. My Wifi router is secured with a 128-bit WEP password, non-broadcasting SSID and MAC address filtering, plus the HW firewall.

I've backed up all my files so my next step is WebOS Doctor, I think.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Mine does the same thing if I plug in a power adapter it doesn't like. Is yours plugged in or using a non oem cord?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    If you are still having problems, post back and we'll see if we can figure this out.....this is a weird problem for sure. I wouldn't think that the doc would help that kind of problem. What if you turn on the device lock.....would be a pain, but who knows.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Make a video showing this .
    I'm with Superdavex - I got a cheap wall charger off of E-bay, and it never worked right. It would make random events happen every time I plugged it in, including the "ripples" all over the screen. I don't use that "charger" anymore!
    This and its ramifications are pretty creepy...Is there any way to check the users logged on and their connection-type?
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superdavex View Post
    Mine does the same thing if I plug in a power adapter it doesn't like. Is yours plugged in or using a non oem cord?
    Do you mean it shows random screen ripples (finger presses)? I don't know... the sequence of actions occurring seems too organized to be random blips of activity on the touch screen. The latest activity involved browsing my music scrolling through the song list and playing a particular selection.

I've been using the USB cable from my wife's BB Tour to connect my Pre to my computer, and also to charge it, but I'm using the Pre AC adapter for charging. However, this activity was occurring both with the cable connected and when the phone was completely disconnected.

However, I turned off the phone and removed the battery, then restarted it. So far there have been no signs of intrusion on my Pre. It's kind of too bad because I like atlanta's idea of making a video of the behavior. I got my camera out and was ready to start recording too. Anyway, I'll keep an eye out to see if the problem returns.

One other thing I noticed... during the time my Pre was "hijacked" the lock screen didn't appear. The screen would turn off according to the timer I'd set up, but pressing the power button just brought me back to the launcher page-- no lock icon to drag up or anything. Following my hard reset of the phone the lock is back. So I wonder if resetting the drive to read-only combined with a hard reset exorcised whatever demon had possessed my Pre...?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I hope you get it figured out. Will you give us updates? I am sure more than a few of us would be curious to see if it gets corrected. Good luck
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Yes, the finger presses appear also. It causes the phone to open all sorts of apps and do random things in them. Mine would stop instantly when I pulled the cord, but, it does sound like the same phenomenon.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Absolutely.
    The problem you are having is a pretty common problem with Pre's. Some people say it's caused by non-oem chargers, however I've had the problem with the oem charger. My phone never quit doing it and I had to have it exchanged. There's been other posts on this forum do a search.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    OK, it just started again. I'm grabbing some video. I'll upload it and post the URL.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwade View Post
    The problem you are having is a pretty common problem with Pre's. Some people say it's caused by non-oem chargers, however I've had the problem with the oem charger. My phone never quit doing it and I had to have it exchanged. There's been other posts on this forum do a search.
    Interesting... I suppose since it's a capacitive touchscreen random electrical impulses (voltage irregularities?) could be causing what appear to be screen presses, along with the attendant actions such as launching apps, changing settings, etc. Got any suggested keywords to use for searching the forums?
    I'm interested in seeing how this looks as well. If this is indeed a "hack" that could be one major security breach in the Pre device.

Pre WiFi Tether Results
    Put it in airplane mode, does it still do it? Yes, exchange the Pre. No, then that's just weird.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast