1.    #1  
    I know someone out there has been supposedly working on a PlayStation emulator, but haven't seen anything further in the forums on it yet.

Are there any REAL games available through rooting or any other methods? I know the 3430 has some real power, but has anyone been able to make good use of it yet with any high res games?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    we probably won't see any "real" games until palm allows for opengl support
    Once flash comes there will be alot of "okay" games that will bw be verry easy to port
    Quote Originally Posted by avadyn View Post
    we probably won't see any "real" games until palm allows for opengl support
    Is this something that the Pre is capable of, just a limitation of the SDK?
    Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    The hardware in the Pre is much more advanced than the regular iphone, so yes the hardware is capable of better games than the iphone.

The problem is the SDK, Palm doesn't seem interested in doing anything other than web language apps.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    The hardware is more than capable (it's nearly as good as what's in the iPhone 3GS). It's just that the SDK has no way to use the GPU for hardware graphics rendering. There is not even a GPU driver in the basic OS.

BTW, regarding Flash, they will need to somehow tap into the GPU for Flash games to have decent performance. Just adding Flash on top of the current software rendering is not going to solve the problem (it could get worse actually, since Flash is computationally intensive).
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    There is not even a GPU driver in the basic OS.

BTW, regarding Flash, they will need to somehow tap into the GPU for Flash games to have decent performance. Just adding Flash on top of the current software rendering is not going to solve the problem (it could get worse actually, since Flash is computationally intensive).
    Very good point, they really need to implement a GPU driver before they launch flash on to the device. Without it, I can see a lot of Pre phones locking up in the future.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    More importantly, when is Doom and Wolfenstien coming to the Pre as installable apps? I kid (partially). Something tells me that the "REAL" games will come, but they will be served up from the OS and now WebOS. This will hurt the experience, but allow direct access to the GPU.
    Haha @gigaorg: check this out, one of my projects along with a dungeon exploration game, and a zork interpreter:
    www(.)precentral(.)net(/)wolfenstein-pre-d-want

(without parenthesis)

Its pretty much my goal as a programmer to try and create something better than just simple puzzle games for this device. now unfortunately i'm having problems getting wolfenstein to run at a decent speed on anything but the emulator. I'll tell you one thing though, once that damned game framework comes out i'll be busting out lots of quality stuff. I cant wait, someone needs to get a hold of palm and see whats going on with it.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Indecom View Post
    Its pretty much my goal as a programmer to try and create something better than just simple puzzle games for this device. now unfortunately i'm having problems getting wolfenstein to run at a decent speed on anything but the emulator. I'll tell you one thing though, once that damned game framework comes out i'll be busting out lots of quality stuff. I cant wait, someone needs to get a hold of palm and see whats going on with it.
    I wish you luck; my experiences toying with various types of graphics rendering in the early days of the iPhone SDK pretty much just served to educate me that you absolutely need OpenGL for anything with dynamic motion (2D or 3D). I gave up on software rendering except for very simple tasks that can make do with 10-15FPS, such as pre-game animations and simple app graphics.

The emulator can be a red herring when you're coding up with software rendering, since it runs so much faster than the device. It's more realistic once you switch to GL (and sometimes, the device actually renders faster than the emulator in that case).
    Yea actuallt the emulator.performs better than my browser and 3 times faster than the machine on average. One thing is for sure. The pre needs to handle jsjsjs $faster$.
  12. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    There is some discussion at Forums webOS • View topic - OpenGL and Low Level Access? Please let us know! on the very subject.

As with most things, Palm is mum on the subject.
    Palm has like 20 million different things they need to adress, alot of them will take a long time to do, and it must be hard as hell to pick which ones to do first..

who to satesfy first, devs, or users...

If users aren't happy then you don't sell enough, so devs aren't happy.

If devs aren't happy, no good apps, so it still doesn't sell well....
    Well we already know that an opengl framework is being/going to be assembled, as on palm's website there is a job posting for game framework engineer, asking for someone with experience in programming opengl frameworks and shaders and all that jazz, so we know that they are taking initiative and will be producing another sdk just for us game devs but it will take time to come out, just like it was for the iphone.

The only thing we know is that job posting, we dont even know if it's been filled yet. It could be anywhere from 6 months to a year or more before we find ourselves programming in opengl on the pre.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Palm has like 20 million different things they need to adress, alot of them will take a long time to do, and it must be hard as hell to pick which ones to do first..

who to satesfy first, devs, or users...

If users aren't happy then you don't sell enough, so devs aren't happy.

If devs aren't happy, no good apps, so it still doesn't sell well....
    There are times that I wish I had bought an Iphone simply because of the volume of apps. I know 90% of them are crap but there are some nice ones still out there. I guess this is just a sacrifice you make when you buy a first generation phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by liverleef View Post
    There are times that I wish I had bought an Iphone simply because of the volume of apps. I know 90% of them are crap but there are some nice ones still out there. I guess this is just a sacrifice you make when you buy a first generation phone.
    when ever someone asks me hows the pre, i say:

It's amazing for me...

Cause if you need a phone that does "x" and "y" from day one, and can't live without it, then the pre might not be for you (depending on what "x" and "y" are...

The pre fits my personality great, as much as i hate to admit it (i dunno why i hate to, but for some reason i do) im patient, willing to wait. Hate doing one thing at a time. Like if i'm watching tv, im always playing with something in my hand. like trowing the remote up and down...

I don't need any apps, (it's my first smart phone, im not missing anything). It's great, it does almost everything i need it to...