1.    #1  
    So I've rooted into my Pre using Novaterm. I'm having issues already though. I can't navigate in vi through a file using the arrow keys. How do I do that? What is going on? I assume the arrow keys should let me navigate through novaterm...also, I can't paste into novaterm..every time I right-click and click on paste, nothing happens. Help?

BTW, using Windows XP 32 bit
  2.    #2  
    Anybody??
    your best bet is to use WinSCP it opens the files so you can scroll through them and make your edits easily
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    vi does not navigate using arrow keys!,

though there is something in putty that can do this. I use putty, not novaterm because i am running vista 64. also on my xp 32 bit I hate novaterm. Putty ftw!

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...x_From_Windows

vi navigates with hjkl
    Basic vi Commands

oh and yeah, SFTP ftw as mike is sayin
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Setup_SFTP
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Glod View Post
    vi does not navigate using arrow keys!,

though there is something in putty that can do this. I use putty, not novaterm because i am running vista 64. also on my xp 32 bit I hate novaterm. Putty ftw!

Accessing Linux From Windows - WebOS Internals

vi navigates with hjkl
    Basic vi Commands

oh and yeah, SFTP ftw as mike is sayin
    Setup SFTP - WebOS Internals
    Thanks!! I set up sftp through winscp but I'm encountering a couple of issues.

It's kinda slow for me. Does it have to be done via wireless or EV? It works on wireless, but it's just being kinda slow.

Second, everytime I try to edit and replace a file it is giving me an error saying I don't have the permissions to do that. I've gone into putty from winscp and run the following commands to get permission "sudo -i" and then "mount -o remount,rw /" Why isn't it working? It's a way, way easier setup that using vi, but if I can have read/write access, it's no good to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    Thanks!! I set up sftp through winscp but I'm encountering a couple of issues.

It's kinda slow for me. Does it have to be done via wireless or EV? It works on wireless, but it's just being kinda slow.

Second, everytime I try to edit and replace a file it is giving me an error saying I don't have the permissions to do that. I've gone into putty from winscp and run the following commands to get permission "sudo -i" and then "mount -o remount,rw /" Why isn't it working? It's a way, way easier setup that using vi, but if I can have read/write access, it's no good to me.
    You also have to be logged in as a user with root permission to edit system files. It is not enough to simply have the / partition mounted writable because you're still logged in as a non-root user (or you wouldn't have had to use sudo). You will have to learn a little bit of Unix at this point if you want to proceed.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by brianfeldman View Post
    You also have to be logged in as a user with root permission to edit system files. It is not enough to simply have the / partition mounted writable because you're still logged in as a non-root user (or you wouldn't have had to use sudo). You will have to learn a little bit of Unix at this point if you want to proceed.
    If you can point me in the right direction, I'm willing to give it a shot. I thought it was as simple as using sudo and then making the partition read/writable? I guess not though...what next?
  8.    #8  
    Getting this error when I try to login via WinSCP
    "Cannot initialize SFTP protocol. Is the host running a SFTP server?"

Any help?
    have you done this ------> Check 'Advanced Options' and select "Environment>SFTP".
    In the SFTP server box enter: sudo /opt/libexec/sftp-server

you have to make sure you use this SFTP server info.
  10.    #10  
    Whoo hoo..I finally got it to work. This is so nice. It was slow before because I'm a dope and was using the evdo network ip instead of the local network ip. DOH!! Now, I can change, read, write, and backup quickly and easily. Thanks for your help guys!!
    Cannot initialize SFTP protocol. Is the host running a SFTP server?

i get this error too and i have the sftp server set to sudo /opt/libexec/sftp-server.

i have root access, have set up sudo, have set up quilt, have almost everything i can to prepare this for editing, except i cant use winscp to change the files. any help is greatly appreciated.