Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    is there a task manager on the pre to see all the running processes and resources they are taking up?
    in command line "top"
    I'm not aware of one.. but it wouldn't take much to make it. Could just sed the output of ps-e.

for now, you could install the terminal app using Preware (not sure if it's available on filecoaster), and use the command "ps -e" to show all running applications and their associated pid numbers. Also "kill <pid number>" would stop it from running.

Honestly I really don't suggest you do this tho unless you know what you're doing. You could accidentally kill a running proccess that's neccisary for something to function (audio, video, wifi, gui, etc). Worst case scenerio is you pull your battery, but honestly I just can't suggest it without some knowledge of linux.

But the point is it's there I think the thing stopping someone from wanting to write an app would be how to decide which applications to show. If it doesn't show them all, why have the app? And if it shows them all, it could be dangerous (or at the very least, counter-productive) to give the user control to stop some of these processes.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    there's little point to a task manager in the traditional sense on the pre.

why? all the visible apps are being run in the context of only a single process.

from my pov, any process that is not needed to support that process (i.e. the apps it will run) shouldn't be running anyways, and therefore there should be nothing to kill (though the ability to restart some of them might be useful).
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Thanks, I, just out of curiousity, just wanted to see the resources some of the apps were taking. I have very little experence with this, so I think I will stay clear of the terminal app. Thank you for the info though!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    +1 bump (I'm assuming bumping is acceptable here)
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    Thanks, I, just out of curiousity, just wanted to see the resources some of the apps were taking.
    JsTop in the preware-feed