1.    #1  
    I've got MyTether service, Flashlight service, File Manager service, and Package Manager service installed, plus the Terminal browser plugin, plus Dropbear.

Now I'm definitely grateful that we have services to do all of these things, but if I'm not mistaken, services are running at all times as they do on a regular computer. Unlike a regular computer, the Pre has much more limited resources however.

So, how badly is having all of these running affecting my Pre's performance? While I know the consolidated service was a security risk, wouldn't it make sense to only have a single service running on the Pre that can do anything, instead of 4 separate ones, for performance reasons?

(Now, I know Dropbear is specifically optimized for low overhead, and since the Terminal setup is via a browser plugin, that seems to only run when you're running the Terminal, but I thought they should be mentioned anyway).

As for memory usage, it seems that no matter what I have open, both free and top only report about 3MB free of the 256MB RAM on the Pre. I know some of that is buffers and caches, so that's misleading though.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 08/29/2009 at 11:24 PM.
    maybe they aren't running full load all the time? could be dormant when not used
    I too have all of the above services. The Pre tends to lag a few seconds at times, but I reallly dont notice it to be any more lag time WITH any of the services running or without.

Id LOVE if EVERYTHING just snapped open, in a nano second,, but Im perfectly happy with all the really amazing things this teeny palm size device can do...
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Does having all these services reduce battery performance?
    This thread needs to be moved to the WebOS development thread. This folder is supposed to be a 1 thread for each application.
  6.    #6  
    Ah, you're right, that's actually where I meant to post it, sorry about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
    This thread needs to be moved to the WebOS development thread. This folder is supposed to be a 1 thread for each application.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Ah, you're right, that's actually where I meant to post it, sorry about that.
    Done.

- Craig
    I'm also curious as to how these services work? From what I understand they are installed in a separate location from standard WebOS applications.

Do they "run" only when the mothership app calls on them or are they going all the time? Are they safe..?
    All the services lay off or dormant (very very very little impact) where they are called upon like any other applications. They should have no performance impact on your Pre unless they are coded poorly or cause a bug.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.